Thread: Che Apalache

Default Che Apalache

Interesting band from Buenos Aires using bluegrass instruments to play Latin music.

I don't know them but like this video and heard from a Baltimore old time and bluegrass email I subscribe to.

Che Apalache, an innovative stringband from Buenos Aires, Argentina blending bluegrass with Latin jazz. Prepare to be wowed. They blend top-notch instrumentals on banjo, mandolin, fiddle and guitar with dazzling harmony singing and imaginative arrangements.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Che Apalache

So cool! I love it when forms and cultures get mixed and "creole-ized".

4. The following members say thank you to Oren for this post:

Teak 

How did I manage to miss this? Saw these guys at the Old Fiddler's Convention in Galax last year. Joe Troup (fiddle player) has been a Galax mainstay for 15 years or more. He's one of those guys you happen on jamming while wandering the grounds in the middle of the night - he'll be playing bluegrass, old time, jazz, latin - on fiddle, banjo, or guitar - and wowing on all of them. It was a treat to see them do their thing in what is in many ways such a staid, traditional environment. I think they went on a mini tour while they were here. Worth seeing if you get the chance.
    Mitch Russell

Thanks for posting, Jim, and bringing them to our attention.

I have begun to listening to groups from south of the border and even though there is usually no mandolin content, I find the music refreshing and inspirational. Two that I have come across recently are 'Jenny and the Mexicats' (Mexico) and 'Monsieur Perine' (Colombia). One of the guitarists in Monsieur Perine plays some kind of mandolin-sized instrument on some songs.

Jenny of the Mexicats is interesting because she was a jazz trumpeter from England who met up with Spanish and Mexican musicians and fell in love with Latin music. She learned to write and sing in Spanish and has become a rising star in the Mexican music scene.

Life is too short to be stuck in some bluegrass/Americana rut.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Teak View Post
    One of the guitarists in Monsieur Perine plays some kind of mandolin-sized instrument on some songs.
    At around 7:30 on this video it looks like the guitar guy is playing some sort of charango family instrument. It is either a charangón or ronroco. I don't think it is a Colombian instrument.

My absolute favorite Colombian music comes from Vallenato.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    At around 7:30 on this video it looks like the guitar guy is playing some sort of charango family instrument. It is either a charangón or ronroco. I don't think it is a Colombian instrument.
    It's a Charango...

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Wow! Awesome! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Interesting band from Buenos Aires using bluegrass instruments to play Latin music.

I don't know them but like this video and heard from a Baltimore old time and bluegrass email I subscribe to.

National Public Radio just ran a piece about them. https://www.npr.org/2018/08/14/63862...uegrass-fusion

Joe Troop is a good friend of mine, and I've gotten to know the other guys in the band a little over the last couple of years. It's good to see them starting to get some recognition! I was just about to step out of the shop today when I heard the piece on npr starting. Almost missed it, but stayed in the shop to hear it.

Great stuff, I heard the piece on NPR. Doubt if they will be touring near me, but I would go see them for sure.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Go to their website, https://www.cheapalache.com/ (If you can get on, it's pretty busy at the moment!) They are touring right now working their way to California and back and their schedule is on the website. Send Joe a message, you may just get them to come to you!
    "Doing nothing is very hard to do ... you never know when you're finished."
    - Leslie Nielsen

I'd heard OF these guys, but last night I actually HEARD them at a friend's house concert here in Los Angeles. I was blown away on so many levels. They're in town because of their Best Folk Album Grammy Award nomination:

https://www.journalnow.com/entertain...5f951b7.html#2

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...roop-interview

Make what you choose of their politics (happens to resonate for me) but their musicianship, craft, and charm are impeccable!

15. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

I'm looking forward to seeing them at Wintergrass in a month!

I saw them at a house concert in Seattle in October 2018 and they are tremendous. Likewise looking forward to seeing them again at Wintergrass!!