Thread: Fickle Pick Picker

Default Fickle Pick Picker

I was going through an old mandolin case this morning and found a pack of old picks -- some Dawg picks, a couple new old-stock Golden Gate picks (I think before Dawg had his own) and one very worn golden gate that I had used for 20+ years before Wegen or Bluechip, or "your favorite expensive pick name here".

So I lined them all up and gave each one a run-through. Each one (even of the same brand) had a slightly different tone and I like what each one produces, but I'll be darned if I didn't like the 20+ year old, worn down $.50 golden gate above the others.

Glad to have found an old friend!
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Default Re: Fickle Pick Picker

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    I was going through an old mandolin case this morning and found a pack of old picks -- some Dawg picks, a couple new old-stock Golden Gate picks (I think before Dawg had his own) and one very worn golden gate that I had used for 20+ years before Wegen or Bluechip, or "your favorite expensive pick name here".

So I lined them all up and gave each one a run-through. Each one (even of the same brand) had a slightly different tone and I like what each one produces, but I'll be darned if I didn't like the 20+ year old, worn down $.50 golden gate above the others.

Glad to have found an old friend!
    If so, then I should be easy to copy the wear pattern from that pick, and proceed to bevel a new GG pick to have the same edge, using an emery file (of the type used for nails). You certainly don't have to wait 20+ years to get a pick the way you want it!

It's just that tHe plastic has aged enough that it's opened up. Old plastic just has that tone people are looking for.

I'll just note the rarity of these old picks because so many have been ruined in the wash, seeing how detergent has such a negative effect on the high end.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

sblock 

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    It's just that tHe plastic has aged enough that it's opened up. Old plastic just has that tone people are looking for. I'll just note the rarity of these old picks because so many have been ruined in the wash, seeing how detergent has such a negative effect on the high end.
    You can speed up the opening of the pick if you lay it in front of stereo speakers playing at full volume for about a week.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I was fortunate to get a real nice tortoise shell pick about 20 years ago. It is still serving me very well.

A young friend of mine just got her first mandolin. I gave her some picks, then later came upon a package of Golden Gate picks. I never cared for them. I took a knife and scraped a speed bevel to two of the sides. What an amazing difference it made from the rounded way they come. I wanted to get her a thicker pick, but didn't want to give her the stock GG. May make one for myself.
    Last edited by pops1; Jul-11-2018 at 5:35pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!