Thread: Odd case “Stuff”

Default Odd case “Stuff”

Back when I was working in the instrument business, we used to find all kinds of really odd “stuff” in cases when instruments came one for trade or repair.
    Hanks post in the “Attic find Loar” thread got me thinking about that.
    I found everything from Capos to condoms, odd string packages (old Black Diamond were common) foreign money, candy bar wrappers, tools of most normal instrument function. Some odd ones, spark plug socket took me a minute to realize the guy was using it for a slide. Extra parts of course, truss rod covers, screws, some pretty cool pick containers, what are some of the oddball items you’ve found?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Odd case “Stuff”

Old string packages and strings, fiddle rosin, oddly shaped picks, nothing unusual … R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Found an old capo that looked almost "medieval." Pressure plate was covered in cork and the retaining strap was a bare coil spring. I can not imagine the damage this thing would do to the finish on the neck.....Someone told me it was "collectable." Indeed! LOL
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Elderly repair shop has a display of "tone balls"--fuzzy lint balls found inside instruments.
    Living’ in the Mitten

A buddy bought one of those 50's brown/pink F-5 cases. Inside one of the pockets, jammed into the corner seam was a small envelope with an original key to the clasp lock. I immediately opened my brown/pink case and looked there; alas, no key...durn.

knows little

I bought an old old Regal (?) tiple in a viola case at a flea market outside Durango CO. In the case were tiple strings, viola strings, small screw-down capo, ancient flatpicks, note scraps, a smidge of resin, stick matches -- debris of decades.

I bought a '34 Gibson L-12 guitar. In the pocket were two small envelopes ... one that came from Gibson had a truss rod wrench in it. The other had the original of the contract when the guitar was first purchased and every weekly receipt from paying it off. What a treasure. I kept the wrench but put the other back in the case pocket when i sold it.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

8. The following members say thank you to Ryk Loske for this post:

I found a few odd items back when i was refurbishing old banjos back in the late 1960's. I found a few real t/shell picks made back in the late 1800's some with weird shapes - one was like a chisel. It was about 1/8" thick,& looking at it from top,it looked like an old fashioned pen knib. How the heck you used it i don't know. I found a few very old spre-war string string packages. I can't remember the names,it didn't interest mne so much back then. Most of all, i found dust,fluff & dirt,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The correct “technical” term is case candy. The best I found was a hand written tune list from the original owner of my early Lyon & Healy mandolin. A few Italian songs, some Tin Pan Alley stuff. I have also found repair receipts and original bills of sale.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I remember when I was a teenager my instrument cases were the repository for all sorts of items deemed questionable since I knew my mother wouldn't go searching through them, or maybe she didn't and didn't actually care.

I remember talking with Jim Ringer in the late ‘70’s, he said there had been times when he had so many pages of song ideas he couldn’t close the case properly! Then Mary would take a bunch out and file them for him!
    Timothy F. Lewis

13. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

A few years ago, I bought a 1959 Gibson SJN Country Western from the original owner. It had the original sales receipt in the case pocket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson SJN Country Western.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	169395

Since it’s a very poor scan, I’ll translate. The original sales receipt is from 1960. At the time, this new Country Western cost $203.25. The buyer got $70 trade in for his 1950s Les Paul with case.

While this Country Western is a pretty nifty guitar, I think I could’ve been happy with his trade in, too.

I found an old picture of some guy named Tim Lewis in a mandolin case. At least that's what the little board said under his picture from the front and the side. It also said it was taken in Kalamazoo.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

About 6 or 7 years ago I bought a guitar, a Japanese Orpheum, used. I paid too much, and once I removed and replaced the ancient strings, it never sounded good again.

Anyway, inside of it (inside the guitar) was a 30 year old A&P receipt from the store I shopped at while in college. Ad that same time period too.

To top it off, it came with a case, that had a name and address on it. It was of a girl I knew of in school and her address off campus back then. I never really had anything to do with her, but I did know who she was and that was wierd enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I found an old picture of some guy named Tim Lewis in a mandolin case. At least that's what the little board said under his picture from the front and the side. It also said it was taken in Kalamazoo.
    What was the number?
    Well, at least someone has that picture!
    I was in an ad for GHS strings which led to the one Mike found! The charge was impersonating a guitar player!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    What was the number?
    Well, at least someone has that picture!
    Only the face has been changed to protect the innocent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tim mugshot.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	121.5 KB 
ID:	169398  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

From NursingDaBlues - " I think I could’ve been happy with his trade in, too." If you had one of those now,you could splash out on a few Gilchrist mandolins !. A late 50's early 60's Les Paul is worth anywhere between $225,000 - $375,000 US,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

21. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Nope, I was wearing a loud green shirt a la John Duffey!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Below is a pic of the only interesting case candy I've ever come across. As you may have guessed, it was in a banjo case. Four different capos, pitch pipes, a bunch of old National fingerpicks, strap, head tensioner tool, and some vintage strings.

Unfortunately, most of the case was filled up with a banjo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ODE-09.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	169551
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

24. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I once bought a used Stratocaster that was advertised as "with accessories." I went to see it and as it so happened it was a mother selling it for her son who was away at college. After checking it out, I told her I would buy it. She then pulls out of the case her son's "homemade" accessory.

I said "Ma'am, that's a hash pipe."

The look on her face was priceless.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meado For This Useful Post: