Thread: Xotic SP on acoustic mandolin

Default Xotic SP on acoustic mandolin

Was wondering if anybody had experience using a compressor on an acoustic mandolin?
    Not as an always on but just an effect to sustain some lead lines.

I'm looking at the Xotic SP because of its small footprint and ability to dial in subtle amounts

Default Re: Xotic SP on acoustic mandolin

Generally speaking, I don't think it's a good idea for most people running their own effects to use compression for live sound on acoustic instruments. Not unless you really know what you're doing. Compression will reduce your headroom against feedback, and feedback is usually the #1 problem with live sound. Even if you can manage to keep feedback under control at the fairly extreme settings you'd need to sustain notes, it would significantly alter the tone of a mandolin to use it that way. You'd lose the nice "open" sound of the acoustic tone.

That said, a small amount of compression -- best done with a built-in effect on a digital mixer -- can help bring an instrument "forward" in the mix. But this won't add sustain, and again, you really need to understand the various settings of compressors to use it that way.

BTW, I love using compression in the recording process during mixdown and mastering. It's an essential tool for getting a polished, professional sound. I've spent way too much money on high-end compression plugins. But I think it has very limited use in live sound for most folks. I don't use it when I play gigs.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

I use the Xotic SP on my pedalboard in the effects loop in conjunction with a HOF mini reverb for mandolin and dobro.

Experimenting with the settings you will find the sweet spot of sustain without it sounding compressed. It works well for lead lines in that it has a volume knob so that when engaged it also will provide a boost.

The only drawback I note is that when you crank the volume too much it inserts some hiss into the chain.
    willi

thanks for replies...

not related to thread but maybe one of you fellas knows the answer...I have a Bose PA
    Model 1S system with B2 bass. I do not own the tonematch

Sometimes I use this PA to play recorded music at a party but need to bring my Mackie board to patch an iPhone into

can I avoid bringing the mackie board and use this device...this is an event where I am not playing music at just offering to bring my bose and play DJ so to speak so don't want to have to bring a PA board

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...one-direct-box

to go from my iPhone directly into the Bose 1/4". I do have the necessary XLR to 1/4 cable; normally I would just take the left xlr out of my mackie board and go ionto the Bose 1/4

Can't you just plug your phone directly into the Bose L1? With a splitter out of your iPhone you could go into Channels 3 and 4 of the Bose so you get both L/R. How do you plug into the Mackie board?