Thread: Cafe home page layout issue

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Cafe home page layout issue

Viewing the Cafe home page on a Pixel 2, the ads occlude the text as shown in the attached screen shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180705-064951.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	169186  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cafe home page layout issue

That was fixed yesterday evening so you're looking at your own cache. I'd think a simple refresh might correct that.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick reply! I cleared the cache, issue persists. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180705-085427.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	169187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180705-085448.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	169188

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

This is how the classified section looks on my windows desktop. I reloaded and cleared cache but the issue persists.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mc,classifide.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	169189

5. The following members say thank you to mandolin breeze for this post:

FYI, my android LG G3 has the same display issue as the OP and refreshing/clearing cache does not resolve.

Windows is A-OK.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    This is how the classified section looks on my windows desktop. I reloaded and cleared cache but the issue persists.

Name:	mc,classifide.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	169189
    Here's a golden rule on the internet. Whenever something doesn't look right or the way it should, hold down your shift key and hit refresh. What has happened in your case is one of the key configuration files that is included did not load. When sites are in the process of changing that sometimes happens.

Blog Entries

I use an iPhone but downloaded Chrome just now and everything looks as expected. Hopefully this is fixed. In the one screenshot above those font sizes have not been rendered as instructed so it's like spraying a huge mess on the page which is causing that layout issue. I have been doing some serious clean-up of configuration files which will speed things up nicely but unfortunately this by-product may linger a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    ... font sizes have not been rendered as instructed so it's like spraying a huge mess on the page which is causing that layout issue. ...
    I don't have time to go through the HTML code right now (and I'm very rusty at it anyway) but I would guess that the problem is something to do with maybe if there's CSS fixed-height stuff and/or fixed-size fonts. As you said, the "font sizes" being "instructed" to presumably display at a certain size which might not match what the user has their accessibility preferences set to.

What little I remember from when I was handcoding HTML webpages years ago, is that when aiming for good accessibility and high compatibility among different user-agents and user settings, too much fixed-height *anything* (and fixed font sizes too) often leads to problems.

It's not uncommon for such designs to break (look mangled with overlapping text or hidden elements) in various browsers depending on user font sizes and magnification settings. Basically whether or not the user accessibility prefs override a website's fixed layout design.

Anyway, rambling aside, here are 3 screenshots of what MandolinCafe pages look like on a PC running under Windows 10 with the latest version of Chrome. In the first screenshot, I added the circle to point out the problem area of text overlapping other stuff. This is at normal 100-percent zoom:

Name:	webpage1-100percent.png 
Views:	204 
Size:	852.6 KB 
ID:	169226

The next picture shows some other issues, those have been there to some extent at least a year or two (one of the previous MandolinCafe updates seems to have wrecked the layout some time ago, I saw no point in complaining about it at the time because it seems that other people's complaints about various website-functionality things are often not particularly well-received and I figured it was unlikely it would ever change for the better) but now it seems to have gotten a little worse:

Name:	webpage2-100percent.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	169227

Here is the same view but using the browser's "zoom" feature to zoom in to what it says is 150 percent zoom. You can see that when the browser zooms in on the page, the page width increases enough that some of the text stops overlapping, but then it becomes necessary to scroll sideways to see the entire width of the page:

Name:	webpage3-150percent.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	169228

And yeah for comparison, I just got through trying to look at a MandolinCafe page using the latest Microsoft Edge browser (guess that's the new name for IE), and with everything at its default settings the MandolinCafe fonts are *so* TINY (at least on this fairly high-end laptop) that even a sharp-eyed 20-something has to make use of the browser's Zoom feature just to read the darn stuff... And there again the issue with undesirable sideways scrolling.

Not that anyone asked, of course... webdesigners as well as software developers have a well-known reputation for often being, er, a little unreceptive to hearing users "whining" about problems, so I'm not expecting any of this to be welcome information.

But it's never been a good idea for webdesigners to try to micro-manage the page layout, although it's also never stopped anyone either - in the 1990s people (mis)used tables (ha! remember those?) in an attempt to control the formatting and make their pages look precisely picture-perfect just the way they wanted... 'usually' ok but there are always going to be users with accessibility concerns or other reasons who override the font settings and use their own choice of fonts and sizes, thus ruining the webdesigners carefully-crafter yet quite fragile page layout...

But then tables went out of fashion, and CSS became the new 'thing'. There are still plenty of webdesigners who see nothing wrong with using CSS the exact same way they used to use tables, to attempt to precisely control page layout and formatting. It can often backfire and doesn't work in all configurations.

Off to my corner now. Probably will get a tongue-lashing for being an unwashed peasant who dares to point out problems with webdesign decisions, but so be it.

Oh... let me wrap this up on a happy note - I checked Android Chrome (*not* using the "mobile" view, I never use that) and the pages don't have overlapping text or other issues, looks fine on Android... so far, anyway... interesting. Not that I spend much time browsing webpages on Android though, but at least the pinch-zoom thing lets users zoom in as much as they need to on small text.

Maybe this type of topic could be dealt directly with the the Cafe team via Private Message rather than on an open forum?