Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Blog Entries

Default Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Sorry for the lack of notice but no sense in announcing these things to our mind. If your browser is functioning properly and hasn't cached a bunch of old stuff you'll notice there's a new look to the web site. Little change to the Forum, only the header art and background color. The home page, however, has changed quite a bit. If it does look the same, or something doesn't look right, hold down your shift key and hit refresh.

To address some obvious questions:

The Events Calendar info that has always appeared on the bottom of the main home page--it also appears on the bottom of every Forum page--didn't make the cut. Social media is a better fit in this moment in time and rather than have something with very little content I didn't feel it had a place there any longer.

The random MP3 player that rotated hourly was moved to the main MP3 page in place of the larger player which is still available in a pop-up window for those of you that used it. With Flash going out of style felt this was the best option.

The Classifieds remain untouched except for header art and a few random color changes.

Everything else has remained the same--site navigation was untouched. Everything you would have found on the old home page is still on the new one but has moved around.

In the future - the header art is likely going to change fairly often. Don't have a set schedule at this time but don't intend for it to be something we'll be looking at for years. A month, maybe. Idea there is to keep things fresh and honor that which we all enjoy: the instruments, the musicians, the history, etc.

As you delve deep into some of the archives you may see some of the old site header art and background. Those will be disappearing over the next few days as we hit some of those resources that have been around since the late 1990s.

2. The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Good-bye old Mandolin Cafe

Love the new look Scott. Great job! I’m sure the sponsors are pleased that their links are more prominent. The Collings torch and wire art is classy looking. Everything in fact about the new appearance oozes class.

Thanks for all you do. The Cafe’ has been, and still is, a shining example of what an instrument website should be.

I also play dulcimer, harp, ukulele, and guitar. The best dulcimer site we had recently shut down permanently, and even when operating was still using ancient technology. The harp and ukulele sites out there aren’t that great, and as for guitar we all know what’s out there for that. I wish other instrument sites were even half as good as our beloved Mandolin Cafe’!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Main page is pretty . Liking the list of twenty and the layout

Nice more up-to-date look, but it certainly puts a very different emphasis on the site. The above-the-fold look of the front page (at least on my laptop) is now primarily advertising. However, I can deal with the larger ads if it better supports our beloved site and Scott and the folks who put so much effort into it.

And perhaps I am just missing where this is... I cannot seem to find any link to the Mandolin Archive.

I know and appreciate how much work this takes. I used to to do web work for a living. I hope at some point you will get around to modernizing the forum, too. Many of us use mobile devices for at least part of the time and the forum software is workable but not altogether responsive to mobile devices.

In any case, thanks a lot for this wonderful site.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Like the 20 most recent items instead of 10. Ads seem a little overwhelming. The big "30% off everything" is missing something, at least on my tablet. 30% off whose everything? Clicking through reveals it to be Mel Bay, but...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Nice more up-to-date look, but it certainly puts a very different emphasis on the site. The above-the-fold look of the front page (at least on my laptop) is now primarily advertising. However, I can deal with the larger ads if it better supports our beloved site and Scott and the folks who put so much effort into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMandoKit View Post
    Ads seem a little overwhelming
    Incorrect.

The Mel Bay post is there simply as a courtesy to users. I consider it news. If you consider it advertising, have at it. Likely gone by tomorrow evening, Monday for sure. That large area is for news, Mandolins Mondays, new album releases, interview highlights, etc--same as it always has been for the front page. It's usually a pretty big deal for a 30% off sale for Mel Bay and they only do it a few times a year. Lots of members are authors there. Forgive me for promoting them. Lots of people buy from Mel Bay. Our visitors are made up of all kinds of folks, not just forum members. Only the area circled in red is advertising and it's about the same % as always.

By my count only about 15% of the space you say is all advertising actually is and that's quite a bit of content for an opener. Of course I can get an exact pixel count for you if it's really bothersome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	2246 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	169034

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

It's a great, streamlined look, especially with the explanation that the left side on front page is actually a news space. The news space has always been my reason for watching the front page. Nice surprise this morning with a new look!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Like it.
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

I opened up my favorite forum and wow. Liked the look immediately.

I love the torch and wire banner at the top of the forum page. Thanks Scott and Dan for making this the great place that it is.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I also like the new look Scott. Thanks.

Looks pretty slick to me! I like it!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Two thumbs up!

It freaked me out at first, old codgers like me don't do well with change, but I like it.

I instantly noticed the new header! Was going to comment then, saw the news banner!
    It all sounds like the factual “New and Improved” instead of the usual “new and confused” we see so many other places!
    Thanks Scott!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post

The Mel Bay post is there simply as a courtesy to users. I consider it news. That large area is for news, Mandolins Mondays, new album releases, interview highlights, etc--same as it always has been for the front page. It's usually a pretty big deal for a 30% off sale for Mel Bay and they only do it a few times a year. Lots of members are authors there. Forgive me for promoting them. Lots of people buy from Mel Bay. Our visitors are made up of all kinds of folks, not just forum members. Only the area circled in red is advertising and it's about the same % as always.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	2246 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	169034
    I like it, however, like Jim Garber and Mandokit, I thought the largest area was an advertisement. Now, with you having explained what it is, it makes sense.
    Breedlove American "K" (2013)
    Redline Traveler Deluxe (2014)
    Gibson TB-1 (1954)
    Gold Tone OT-800 (2012)

I think codgers of all ages will like it!

So, where’s the link to the Mandolin Archive?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    So, where’s the link to the Mandolin Archive?
    It's right here, Jim.

Dan and Ted both have essentially retired developing their sites and told me if there was ever a redesign no need for those links.

21. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Very fresh, I'm a big fan already! Thanks for all the hard work!

Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    It's right here, Jim.

Dan and Ted both have essentially retired developing their sites and told me if there was ever a redesign no need for those links.
    Thanks! That is what I thought.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Looks great Scott. Thanks for all you do.

Yea, another nice job, Scott. The page looks great.

The only thing that's constant is change. I like the header art.

Scott you did a far better job than what they did at the banjo hangout.