Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Italian Mazurkas Anyone?

Default Re: Italian Mazurkas Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Is anyone dancing to this music again out y'all's way?
    Similar to Sheri and David's experience, people have occasionally spontaneously danced when we play, but most of the places and groups near us that host dancing are more interested in contra and english country dancing with the rare group that sponsors "international dance" (this usually means eastern-european, I think). My own interests are, perhaps, a bit broader than 'ballo liscio' in particular, so I'm happiest when there are different kinds of songs in the mix and to me, that makes a lot of sense when playing for a group of listeners in any case. ymmv...

Your signature reminds me... it's just about time for una tazza!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frankie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Let's face it: this is museum music!
    Mebbe on some level it is, but that's no reason to blow MORE dust on it!

4. The following members say thank you to frankie for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Mebbe on some level it is, but that's no reason to blow MORE dust on it!
    I prefer to blow the dust off and have some fun in the museum.

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Y'all.... we're planning on coming on up to the Cotati festival next month so we should be out there under the tent failing to execute a proper mazurka. Honestly, we resort to waltzing and ours is likely much more Texan than it would ever be Italian. Same with our polka varieties. It sounds like a great time, Sher. We're looking forward to it!

But honestly we love to dance and would love to see the ballo liscio dance scene come alive. It think it would be a great hit particularly with young people. When we are at our place in Liguria we love to go to the summer sagras in the local villages. Always a dance band for all ages: mazurkas, waltzes, polkas, fox trots, beguines, tangos. I wouldn't confuse it with BL, though, it's typically a much more mid century hodge podge.

Typically horn bands and likely with a drummer to try to keep everyone straight. It's the North so I don't think I've ever seen a mandolin in one of these small town show bands, unfortunately. But, once the locals see you can dance you won't have a moment of rest! Thankfully no one is too picky over my technique.

I have a colleague from Warsaw who I played an Italian mazurka (recording) for and she quite adamantly said: "That's not a mazurka!" I guess everybody can get territorial about their music....

Not going to stop me.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Sorry for the duplicate post....my browser is acting a bit oddly....
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Thanks, Sher and David (e Frankie) for the enthusiastic discussion.

Is anyone dancing to this music again out y'all's way?

Mick
    YES, absolutely!

Using a different repertoire than our usual orchestral pieces, Aurora Mandolin Orchestra plays 2 or 3 well-attended dances yearly; and Silver Strings Ensemble also does a couple. Mazurkas, waltzes, tangos, foxtrots, rumbas, sambas--not all strictly Ballo Liscio, but substantially so.

The surprising thing to me is that of the 15-30 couples who come to these dances, the majority are under 35-40! So there's some hope for the preservation of our tradition--although we really need fresh blood PLAYING these tunes, not just dancing them! I suppose that's where this forum comes in: to demonstrate to the younger musicians that there truly is an interested audience.

Matt

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Vuksinich For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Anyway, the whole point is to help the OP learn some Italian mazurkas and other music.
    Oh - I totally agree, and it's the reason I posted what, in my admittedly limited experience, were some common (and fairly accessible) tunes within Sheri's archive.

As a collection, Sheri's archive is a fabulous and generous resource. For someone like the OP, it's an ocean of stuff with no obvious place to get started - this happens to be exciting to some folks and a disincentive to others, of course. If there were a list of 10-15 pieces that are good as a starting place for a newcomer, that would be a nice thing, I think. Similarly, a list of 15-20 that represent what you and Sheri consider to be excellent examples of the style would also be a nice thing. I tend to shy away from technical definitions of artistic excellence (I'm just a regular guy with a perverse attraction to music that is more demanding than I am talented), although I'm happy to share what I like.

13. The following members say thank you to frankie for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    If there were a list of 10-15 pieces that are good as a starting place for a newcomer, that would be a nice thing, I think. Similarly, a list of 15-20 that represent what you and Sheri consider to be excellent examples of the style would also be a nice thing.
    I have a hard time determining what should be starting points and/or excellent examples of the style, as they often overlap.

I will offer these tunes as some of my personal faves out of the archive - with the caveat that I have at best only sight-read through most of the music, certainly I have not mastered the whole repertoire, and thus may be missing some gems.

OK, we've mentioned the following that I play somewhat regularly:

Tra Veglia E Sonno
    Sogno Di Bimba
    Speranze Perdute
    Tesoro Mio
    Dolores
    Sogno d'Amore
    Maria Mari
    La Farfalla
    Stella Divina
    Il Golfo Incanto
    Diavoletta

That's not to say any of the other tunes aren't worthwhile - it's just that these are among the ones I usually suggest first.

Some "easier" tunes"

La Bella Piemontese
    Norma
    Dolci Ricordi (good tremolo exercise too)
    Che Ridere (medium difficulty)
    La Bella Bruna (medium + difficulty)
    Sicilianedda
    Vita Palmeritana

Some more advanced faves:

Una Notte a Palermo
    Bacio Ideale
    Notte d'Incanto
    Il Primo Bacio
    Il Bacio
    Mazurka Brillante
    Marsala Mia (the Am arrangement! - I think the Bm version is for Bb clarinet)
    Angels' Dream (not too hard)
    Bocca di Fatta (hard!)
    Telefono aka Il Portovoce (double-stop 3rds in 2 different octaves)
    Migliavacca (!)

Then there is the regional music and the vocal music - even in Italy there is renewed interest and research into the vast repertoire of traditional local music.

I also highly suggest a visit to this page:

http://brucezweig.com/music/matteo/

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/history.html

"Matteo was a wonderful mandolin player who was born in Sicily in 1911 and came to the US in the late 1930's. He had a beautiful tone and wonderful technique"

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matt...t_fountain.zip

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/bonus_tracks.zip

mp3's

http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matt...13%20songs.tif

the charts

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vuksinich View Post
    YES, absolutely!

Using a different repertoire than our usual orchestral pieces, Aurora Mandolin Orchestra plays 2 or 3 well-attended dances yearly; and Silver Strings Ensemble also does a couple. Mazurkas, waltzes, tangos, foxtrots, rumbas, sambas--not all strictly Ballo Liscio, but substantially so.

The surprising thing to me is that of the 15-30 couples who come to these dances, the majority are under 35-40! So there's some hope for the preservation of our tradition--although we really need fresh blood PLAYING these tunes, not just dancing them! I suppose that's where this forum comes in: to demonstrate to the younger musicians that there truly is an interested audience.

Matt
    Thanks, Matt! That is so great to hear. Please pass along word when your AMO will be hosting una serata / seranata di ballo.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post

"Matteo was a wonderful mandolin player who was born in Sicily in 1911 and came to the US in the late 1930's. He had a beautiful tone and wonderful technique"
    Photos of Matteo often show him with what looks like a Gibson A50 or maybe it was an A40 like the OP's who started this great conversation? Matt, Sheri or David would likely know.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

I’m jumping into this discussion late, but Frankie mentioning my former teacher, Maestro Giovanni Vicari, prompted a response. Yes, Frankie on his Tra Veglia, he shows who’s the “boss”.
    I enjoy Sheri & David’s continuing insights & expertise on Italian Mandolin. Having had an Italian master as a teacher & having played in Italian Mandolin ensembles, I like to keep that tradition alive. I have been playing more Bluegrass than ever the last few years, but I play duets with a Guitarist & we play Classical to Jazz & I bring in some Italian pieces from time to time. I should to more. Even at Bluegrass band practices & jams, when there is a lull, I’ll play a few passages of an Italian or an Opera tune. It may get a quizzical look, but like it or not, they will have heard it.
    Light Classical or museum Museum? Ok. With the Bluegrass band I sing “New River Train”. That song ain’t no spring chicken.
    Joe B

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

"Mio Dolce Sogno" by Giovanni Vicari it is one of the most beautiful waltzes I have ever heard...

22. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Light Classical or museum Museum? Ok. With the Bluegrass band I sing “New River Train”. That song ain’t no spring chicken.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Jairo Ramos Parra View Post
    "Mio Dolce Sogno" by Giovanni Vicari it is one of the most beautiful waltzes I have ever heard...
    Wow... I couldn't agree more... what a tune that is!

You know what makes me REALLY crazy about it? The bowed bass on that recording is FANTASTIC. It's ALL good from top to bottom!