Thread: Incoming Aspen oval hole

Default Incoming Aspen oval hole

I needed to buy something like I need a hole in my head. made the terrible mistake of browsing the classifieds this morning around 330am. Its been a long hard work week, lots of people out of commission due to injury and vacation, a lot of wee hour morning call ins. So I was getting of work and off call finally at midnight. Was looking forward to a run with my new family member Ryder(akita mix, 1.5 years old), then coming home, taking care of my other 4, going on a walk, then settling in for some easy time, maybe work on a mando tune by about 2 or 3am. So Ryder and self are midway thru a couple miles and its a lone road that heads into the thick forested hills of rural Virginia. He shoots off to give chase to something(as he often does on our 4 mile treads). Still very young, very spirited. I turn around and start back, knowing in a few minutes he will rush by. He does, and the smell just about knocks me down. He has, yet again, encountered a skunk. He was just getting cleared from that really bitter scent from his previous encounter 3 weeks ago. You can wash, wash, wash, and there is still a residual scent no matter what you do for a couple weeks. Usually in the face because that's where they usually get it. I keep a supply of white vinegar/baking soda/peroxide to make a mix that takes out about 90% of the smell. So we go home, my relaxation will be a while away. Ryder gets the usual of 4 bathings with the mixture, then a final with some prell shampoo. I rub some sweet orange essential oil in my palms and brush over is body. He's okay, he can sleep inside tonight. He is a great dog and huge friend. Actually belonged to my neighbor, but at 6 months old he came to my house and has never left. Neighbor finally gave him to me fully. They came multiple times and picked him up but he would immediately return to my house. The last time he dug his way in under my 5' fence to gain entry back into my yard.
    So, its later than I wish it was, but after I clean up, I chill out and figure i'll glance thru the Café for a few minutes. For some reason I find myself in the classifieds.....imagine that. I'm looking at some of the cool cases for sale right now-all kinds of cases. I don't need one, but I see a couple I like. Imagine that. I click over onto the mandolins, pull up one or two(my MAS has been under control for quite a while. Love my Weber Yellowstone and my Girouard octave, and I honestly do not desire anything more).
    end up on the third page of classifieds and notice-Weber Aspen #2 (2005). I've always wanted one of these. Never seen one or held one. I click..........oh my, its beautiful. I immediately get on youtube and scan for videos. First one does it:

I like this enough to want to have hands on. I know I love weber necks, and I've wanted something in an oval hole for some time now. So its on its way, fingers crossed the sound is as good as it looks. will let you know after I've had my way with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_1_13_349.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	169025

Name:	_3a_11_346.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	419.4 KB 
ID:	169026

Name:	_5_11_331.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	169027

Name:	_8_24_346.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	169028

Name:	_4_12_334.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	169029

Name:	thumbnail_20180603_192914_resized.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	169030

Default Re: Incoming Aspen oval hole...............

oh yea, anyone here own/owned an Aspen?
    what was your impression of it?

d

Default Re: Incoming Aspen oval hole

Daryl, I was seriously tempted by that one myself. It sure is a looker! Never played one but I have played an Alder (mandola) and a Sage (octave). I can tell you it won’t sound anything like your Yellowstone. It will be mid-rangy and loud. Great for Celtic and fiddle tunes.

I can also tell you the color and the full gloss finish was an upcharge on those. That puppy was a custom order, it had to be. Nice score. Thanks for buying it so I can’t be tempted anymore.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Daryl, please keep us updated on your purchase. I sure like the looks of those oval holes. Am thinking I may go that route in a couple of years when I upgrade.

6. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Congrats, Daryl! I was looking hard at that one myself. Had I not just purchased a Breedlove K Oval hole the week before that was posted, I might have jumped at it. Those Aspen II have the higher appointments over the Aspen I. It should provide a nice contrast, sound-wise, to your Yellowstone. Enjoy in good health!

8. The following members say thank you to Dogrich for this post:

Cool mandolin, may it bring you enjoyment and relaxation! We had a neighbor’s Weimaraner who adopted my family when we moved into the neighborhood 13 years ago. “Dog-dog” (my son was 2 y/o at the time) only went home to sleep LOL until they moved away. Anyway Dog-dog hated my banjo but sure loved mandolin. That pup had great musical taste!
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

10. The following members say thank you to MissingString for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post
    Cool mandolin, may it bring you enjoyment and relaxation! We had a neighbor’s Weimaraner who adopted my family when we moved into the neighborhood 13 years ago. “Dog-dog” (my son was 2 y/o at the time) only went home to sleep LOL until they moved away. Anyway Dog-dog hated my banjo but sure loved mandolin. That pup had great musical taste!
    Ryder would never leave. He slept on my carport at night until I moved him inside. He ,of course, started eating with my crew of 4 and going on walks-you could not escape the guy. I ended up getting him a collar and lead, foodbowl in short order. Gave him a bath and assigned him to his own crate-after a week he was fine to let roam freely inside. That was in November. He never went back to his owners. Started running with me after my crew did our dog walk(the other 4 are 7-15 years old). He has become a grand friend. Charged 2 bears during mountain runs in late fall-that definitely locked him in for me.
    d

Great tale with a happy ending. Well done Daryl!
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

13. The following members say thank you to Russ Donahue for this post:

Congrats on both the new mandolin and the awesome new dog!

I had an Aspen II - it was a very sweet sounding mandolin, rang like a bell so it did!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

15. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

I've never used the thomastik strings, but if what I think this mandolin is all about, I'm thinking those would be perfect for it. I'm thinking it will be a light weight build, and if it has the tone that is in the macnichol video, will be perfect for the waltz and slow tunes I really like.

I think I'm more excited about this mandolin than any I have ever went after.

thanks folks
    d

Yeah, nice mandolins. I don't look quite so beastly (or angry) anymore, but from the Weber website: me and my aspen https://webermandolins.com/mandolin-...-savage-turner

A sweeter, lighter, more playable instrument is hard to find. Loved mine. Let us know what you think!
    Clark Savage Turner
    Los Osos, CA.