Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent visit to Carters, and also to Tyler White’s shop

Thumbs up Recent visit to Carters, and also to Tyler White’s shop

Hi all, I stopped by Carters for the first time a few weeks ago, on the way up to Tyler White’s shop, and I spent a good 3+ hours playing mandolins and still only played maybe half of them. It was a really nice privilege to get to play all those fancy mandolins way out of my price range! The guys I talked to were really nice and let me play any mandolin I wanted to except for the ones behind glass, so I didn’t get to play any Loars, but I did get to play 2 Gilchrists!

Please keep in mind though that before this, the best sounding mandolin I’ve played over the past 10+ years is my Kentucky KM900(which I will talk more about later on), so I’m not that experienced in hearing the different sounds from different high end mandolins in person. I have been playing for 20 years tho, and I can judge the quality and sound pretty decently I think.

I felt it was really unfair to so many of those mandolins though, because with so many people coming in and out playing them, the majority of them had old, dead, and corroded strings on them(which is why I didn’t play many of them). I also only played a couple Gibsons, as they were the worst as far as dead strings. I imagine more people would be wanting to play them because of the name.

I also realized that most of the Gibsons were flat fretboard with really narrow frets, and I really don’t like that setup(even tho that’s what my Kentucky has. Mine is set up well though so it’s playable for me at least). So when I saw that I really didn’t give many of them much of a chance.

The mandolins that I liked the most as far as sound and feel and playability combined were the 2 Gilchrists(specifically the older one, I think it is an 82, it was X braced, and I really liked the tone of that one!), and the few Ellis’s that I played, and every Collings I play I liked, a lot! The Apitius, The Heiden, the Cohen(that one was exceptional, as was the Wiens, at least to me. One of my favorites tho was the Voight A5, if I only had $3500 to spend only at Carters, I would pick the Voight, to me it sounded and played as well as many costing 3 times the price!

I do have to admit that I was kind of disappointed in the Webers. A friend of mine has one of the older Galatins with the Mahogany back and sides, and I’ve never played it, only heard it from a distance. I don’t remember what I thought of the sound, but it didn’t stick out to me as anything spectacular.
    To my taste, all of the Webers sounded kind of hollow, and lacked bass possibly. I thought I would like them more, But I guess now I realize I am one of those people who the Weber sound does not do anything for...lol.
    Maybe if they had decent strings I would have thought differently about them, but I didn’t like any of them the way they were.

As far as my Kentucky though, I was kind of impressed with how well it held its own to mandolins costing 2 to 3 times its price. It does not quite have the depth of tone that I like, like the Colling’s had, it’s more of a drier tone I guess, not my favorite, but pretty good quality, considering the price, and that it’s already mine and paid for...haha!
    I will be keeping it after I get my White mandolin, and just keep it in a different tuning.

The next day, I went to Tyler White’s shop, and I have to say, I was not disappointed!
    He seemed to be very knowledgeable and very organized. He had #11 back in the shop for some modifications, and I was very impressed with the way it sounded and played, especially considering how much he charges, and considering that I had played several mandolins the day before over $10k. As far as I’m concerned I think I’ll be totally happy with one of his, and I won’t be thinking that I’m missing out on something I would have had with a much more expensive mandolin.
    I am really looking forward to getting #17, it will be a bit different in some ways than any of his previous ones, and I think it will be spectacular!
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Kinman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Recent visit to Carters, and also to Tyler White’s shop

On a sidenote, while I was playing the different mandolins, my wife was playing all the different banjos that were there, and comparing them to her 61 Gibson RB 250 bowtie. Much to my surprise, we left there with her liking the sound of her Gibson more than any of the other ones she played. The guys in the shop there told her that that particular model has more Bass than other types because of the tone ring or whatever, and she really likes the beefier sound from her’s.
    It has also been really nice, with her being so on board with me going on this journey to get a nice mandolin, as well as a decent guitar. I am really a blessed guy!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jesse Kinman For This Useful Post:

Hey Jesse - thanks for the post. I'm curious how #17 is going to be different than Tyler's previous builds
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

6. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by EvanElk View Post
    Hey Jesse - thanks for the post. I'm curious how #17 is going to be different than Tyler's previous builds
    It will have tortoise binding, and a two toned torch and wire headstock inlay. He hasn’t done either of those yet. Other than that, it will be the same as # 10, same woods, BirdsEye Maple and the harder Engelmann top.
    Last edited by Jesse Kinman; Jun-29-2018 at 8:10am. Reason: Additional information

New mandolin, new guitar, banjo playing wife, you are a lucky man.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Sounds fun, I know whenever I get back down there it'll just have to be to buy something! I really want to try out that 31 F-5 at Gruhns well the 33 Dave App. refinish, the 41 F-5 and all the Loars etc...and at Carters the Loars and that odd 41 F-5! I've heard from Marc M. that the 41 at Carters is pretty sweet, just too bad it has all the wrong non original hardware, like the 33 Appalon F-5 at Gruhns+ the refinish is a terrible job, sure doesn't have the 30's look! And I love that look-if I got that one it would have to be way cheaper than they want and I'd have someone give it a complete 30's makeover.
    Man I bet it was a blast being around so many great mandolins, even the newer stuff to compare! We have nothing like that around my area in the sticks! What fun!

11. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Blog Entries

Sounds like we had a very similar impression of the selection of mandolins -- those early '80s Gilchrists have been my benchmark for tone and feel since I first played one. And the Heiden is a beast. Webers just don't do much for me, but they're still fantastically constructed.

And, like you, my personal Eastman checks 80% of the boxes at 20% of the price, so for that we can both be thankful. Glad you had fun!

13. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

For me, tone wise, I thought the Heiden may have been the best in the room. The Ellis looked better and was a close second tone-wise. It was brand new though so give it a few months. Funny the early (was it '87 ?) Gilchrist didnt blow me away like I was expecting it would. It was nice enough but its the first one I've played and after reading about them here I thought it would be in its own class. Then again, I'm not that great a player so may not be able to tell so maybe it was and I couldnt tell. I had only played one Weber before and it was a Galatan and I was not impressed. This time I played a diamond back and another that I liked so I'll have to change my mind. Same with Collings. I had played 3 or 4 prior and didnt really like any of them. This time I found a couple I liked. But tone-wise I didnt think that any I played in the big room had anything on my 2012 Harvey Gibson 5FG. And the ones in the high end room that were better couldnt be justified by price for me, as they didnt seem that much better for my rudimentary skill level. I didnt bother with the Loars in the glass case for the same reason. Plus I'm not really a Bluegrass guy anyway so what I like in tone is probably different.

Now I also think I could go back on a different day with a different energy/mindset and have a different opinion on a lot of the ones I've played. Sometimes first impressions of instruments dont pan out for me and I change my mind.

And yes, for the first time I also played a Kentucky 900 and a 1500 at Gruhns any they were very good. Very impressive for the price.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

15. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Congrats on your White in the making!
    I feel quite fortunate to live pretty close to his shop. He has been very generous and allowed me to swing by a few times to see his mandolins, both in the works and completed. Such a great talent at work! Beautiful is the way he uses the hand rubbed finish to get “The Look” just right.
    It will be great to see how he does the Tortoise binding. I am confident that you will be beyond pleased. In speaking with him I get the strong feeling he works toward artistic perfection. Beauty in style and presentation.
    I look forward to any posting you do when yours is in the build cycle!
    Thanks too for your input and impressions on your visit to the big two in Nashville. I am planning a trip in mid July. It is going to be a summer high point, to be sure.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

17. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

Smile Re: Recent visit to Carters, and also to Tyler White’s shop

The cost to benefit ratio deminishes pretty drastically once you get to the bottom tier of the small batch makers. Your 900 is almost there, and it will cost another grand to do much better. That will get you into Northfield territory. From the F 5S and Weber Gallatin level, you have to throw another fifteen hundred to get bottom tier Fs from Collings.

Gross generalization I know. But once you get to the $3000 new F style, jumping to $4500 is audible for sure, but diminishing returns are well in play. Being able to try a shop like Carter's is invaluable, and knowing if going From 5k to 10k is worth it to you is worth a cover charge IMHO.

You are going to end up with a dandy beater.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

19. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Great post,especially as I am a mandolin newbie(play guitar though) and just got my first mando yesterday.....An Eastman MD-18V.
    I'm looking forward to the journey and wish all of you folks(many who had a nice influence on me) the best....Good luck!

21. The following members say thank you to magictwanger for this post:

2 + year waiting list for those beaters
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

2 + year waiting list for those beaters
    What do you mean? Are the KM900s on that much of a waiting list?

I meant Tyler's wait list is now up to 2 years. I may be slow on the uptake, but I thought Brick was referring to a White as a 'beater', but I now get that he meant the Kentucky mando...
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

25. The following members say thank you to EvanElk for this post:

First off congrats on the White! I sure do love mine. A lot. Can’t wait to see how that one looks! My #6 is one of (if not the) last one before Tyler started doing the hand rubbed finishes. It’s a beautiful mandolin, but his hand rubbed finishes are next level kind of beautiful. Tyler offered to let me trade in #6 towards a newer one, but I live the tone of this mandolin so much and Tyler says he’s never built one that sounds quite like it, so I’m not willing to let it go just for aesthetic reasons. Especially since #6 really is a good looking mandolin. Sorry for the rambling there...

On another note, I can’t believe that Voight A-5 is still there. While in my opinion it’s a bit over priced, especially since I believe they have it listed as being used, when I was there about two years ago it was my favorite in the sub $5k range. Had I not found Tyler and his #6, I very well may be playing that Voight...

27. The following members say thank you to Trey Young for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hanson View Post
    Congrats on your White in the making!
    I feel quite fortunate to live pretty close to his shop. He has been very generous and allowed me to swing by a few times to see his mandolins, both in the works and completed. Such a great talent at work! Beautiful is the way he uses the hand rubbed finish to get “The Look” just right.
    It will be great to see how he does the Tortoise binding. I am confident that you will be beyond pleased. In speaking with him I get the strong feeling he works toward artistic perfection. Beauty in style and presentation.
    I look forward to any posting you do when yours is in the build cycle!
    Thanks too for your input and impressions on your visit to the big two in Nashville. I am planning a trip in mid July. It is going to be a summer high point, to be sure.
    Yeah, he definitely seems to be a bit of a perfectionist, which is what I noticed first about his work, it is the reason why I chose him above a few other options that I had. he was not willing to do the tortoise finding for a while, he had to make sure that it was going to look a certain way, he said it had to be “just right” for him to be willing to do it, and we just so happened to be wanting the exact same look, where the tortoise binding is never touching the wood, it always has a cream or white stripe in between.
    I am glad he decided to go ahead and do that with the binding, I am really looking forward to seeing it built and getting it! I will also be getting the hand rubbed stain as well, I think it looks really nice!

I will definitely be posting pictures as I get them. I am really excited about this, and I am afraid that my wife thinks I am acting like a little child at times LOL.

I meant Tyler's wait list is now up to 2 years. I may be slow on the uptake, but I thought Brick was referring to a White as a 'beater', but I now get that he meant the Kentucky mando...
    Oh wow! I had no idea it was that long that fast, I’m really glad I got in when I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    First off congrats on the White! I sure do love mine. A lot. Can’t wait to see how that one looks! My #6 is one of (if not the) last one before Tyler started doing the hand rubbed finishes. It’s a beautiful mandolin, but his hand rubbed finishes are next level kind of beautiful. Tyler offered to let me trade in #6 towards a newer one, but I live the tone of this mandolin so much and Tyler says he’s never built one that sounds quite like it, so I’m not willing to let it go just for aesthetic reasons. Especially since #6 really is a good looking mandolin. Sorry for the rambling there...

On another note, I can’t believe that Voight A-5 is still there. While in my opinion it’s a bit over priced, especially since I believe they have it listed as being used, when I was there about two years ago it was my favorite in the sub $5k range. Had I not found Tyler and his #6, I very well may be playing that Voight...
    I have seen your videos, yours sounds really nice! I remember seeing what you wrote before about it not being a bluegrass monster, did you mean that it was more towards the dark/mellow side versus bright/tinny? I am going to have him try to make mine more towards the bassy/more mellow side, as I am not as much of a fan of the super bright sounding mandolins. I will be definitely getting the hand rubbed finish on mine, I really like that look!

Yeah, if I had to buy a Mandolin that day that I was in there, I would have bought that Voight, I liked it better than any of the Collings, which were all really good sounding!
    Last edited by Jesse Kinman; Jul-02-2018 at 11:59am. Reason: Typos

So hard for my tin ears to evaluate a mandolin's tone from one brief encounter. Playability is another story;
    I can decide if I like the way it plays pretty quickly. I prefer narrow/thin necks.

Called and talked with Mr.Carter to ask when would be a good time to bring along some of my
    mandos to compare to what's there. He basically said that there really was not a "better" time;
    but,weekends and Mondays were probably the worst/busiest times.

Hoping I can take along my picking buddy if/when I get to go to Nashvegas. He has way better ears than me;and,I can hear what the instrument
    sounds like "out front".

30. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Jesse,
    Yes, the tone of #6 is a much more mellow and rounded tone than what I consider to be the typical bluegrass tone. It was exactly what I was looking for!

32. The following members say thank you to Trey Young for this post:

Ha! What mandolin would you need to have for a White to be a beater? Gilchrist, Monteleone, Loar? Oh, but I can dream.

How nice to walk into Carter's and say, I'm looking for a beater, something in the $5-10k range.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Ha! What mandolin would you need to have for a White to be a beater? Gilchrist, Monteleone, Loar? Oh, but I can dream.

How nice to walk into Carter's and say, I'm looking for a beater, something in the $5-10k range.
    The White would be a nice backup to that ‘82 Gilchrist at Carters

Jesse,
    Is that your White #17 in the new pictures on Tyler's Instagram? It looks amazing!

www.instagram.com/p/B3NIA3fHvTe/

37. The following members say thank you to Schneidly for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review! I just (yesterday) visited The Mandolin Store in Surprise, AZ and had a similarly awesome experience.

I also fond the Ellis's and the Collings to be really great, and felt mixed on the Gibsons for whatever the reasons are. They were good, but except for the the custom Gibson made for The Mandolin Store, they were good, not great, even the MM. I also liked the Kentucky 950 a lot. Of course, it's only my perspective.

I'd like to chime in about your experience with the Webers. I share your view. I owned two over a decade ago and was very fond of them, particularly the custom Fern I owned. Weber, under Bruce's leadership, was really hitting its stride from about 2005 on. The Webers I played yesterday were sadly lacking in character. I assume they had hand carved tops. What made Webers attractive to players back in the heyday was they were unique. They didn't have the "Gibson" sound, or any other sound for that matter. Some people didn't care for that Weber sound, but it was unanimous that the sound was unique and distinct. The examples I experienced yesterday were clearly not products of the same shop.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Briggs For This Useful Post:

Man, it’s so great to hear the stories about Tyler White. I’m a former owner of #12....traded it in for the Apitius Vanguard, and while I can’t say that I’m disappointed with the decision (the Apitius is absolutely amazing) I will say that I VERY much miss the White. It was a very very special instrument, and I wish I still had it. Tyler and I have had discussions about my next build, which I think will be a Mandola.

To anyone considering a purchase of a world class mandolin, you owe it to yourself to have a discussion with Tyler and, if you’re lucky, get one in your hands to test drive. True American master craftsmanship....keep at it Tyler!! The legacy continues!!!
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

41. The following members say thank you to mandoglobal for this post:

Thanks for sharing about your trip. I'm hoping to go on a similar trip in the spring to Carter's and to Tyler White's as I am considering a mandolin from him and want to try out an assortment before making any commitments. :-)

43. The following members say thank you to Happymandolin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schneidly View Post
    Jesse,
    Is that your White #17 in the new pictures on Tyler's Instagram? It looks amazing!

www.instagram.com/p/B3NIA3fHvTe/
    Yes it is! I got it on Wednesday, and it does look amazing! I haven’t had much time to play it, but I like it a lot so far. After a few hours of playing, it already sounds up to the liveliness of my 2 year old, well broken in Kentucky KM900 which sounds to me like an exception even among Kentucky’s. It has really mellowed out and sounds much better than it did when I posted this originally. It sounds to me like it would now compare in sound to anything in the 3-5k range as far as I’m concerned, and this green Tyler White is already sounding just as lively, although it has a different tone altogether. With the Engelmann top, and soft big leaf quilted maple back and sides, and wider spread tone bars, it has a very rich and clear mellow tone. I can’t wait to hear how it sounds when it breaks in fully. Tyler said from his previous builds that it will be about a year before it reaches full maturity. Now it is handmade, so it’s not perfect as far as every tiny detail, but you expect tiny imperfections in a handmade instrument, and that’s part of the beauty of it.
    I will post again with a video clip, soon hopefully, but with working two jobs and trying to get ready to move in the next month or two, I don’t know when that will be.

45. The following members say thank you to Jesse Kinman for this post:

Gunnar