Thread: Nashville Today

Default Nashville Today

I finally made my first pilgrimage to Nashville. We're staying in the heart of the "NashVegas Strip". Its hot, but having a blast. I got to play at the Blue Bird Cafe's open mic last night. What a treat playing in a small listening venue packed with songwriters from all over the world. (Scotland, Ireland, Sweden, Nova Scotia, Oregon, Ohio, Wisconsin, Charlotte, Atlanta, and several stereotype Nashville transplants- working musicians here playing the circuit and very good). It was an ordeal getting a slot to play as its gotten quite popular-sold out with people in line wanting to get in and couldnt now that its featured in some TV show. But worth it , I think, in the end. They gave me a tee shirt after I payed for it. And every time I bought a beer, they brought me one.

Then today I spent hours in Carter's and Gruhn's. I think I played every mandolin in both places and half the guitars. I didn't bother them to play the Loars behind the glass cases. I just felt lucky being able to play all the others. My favs were prob a Heiden , Mowrey, and an Ellis. I also liked an Anderson and a Red Diamond and an older Gilchrist...and a lot of the Gibsons. One of the Guicamals (sp?) was interesting and fun with super low action.. I played a very nice Weber Octave F style F hole at Carters which I preferred over a similar Smart at Gruhns. Several Webers were nice and Carters had a large selection of them. They had several Duffs too. Gruhns didnt have that many mandos but they did have a nice kentucky 1500 master and yes the reports of at least this one as quality and at a value is true. Lots of guitars and banjos at Gruhns.

My Harvey Gibson F5G stood up well against all of them so I walked away feeling pretty good. I didnt have as much envy as I thought I would. But there is something about the lighter, high end Ellis and Mowreys as well as that Heiden that I do prefer compared to mine. Compared to my Gibson, they are lighter and thinner at the neck somehow and I like that. But not worth the extra money to me. I'm a tight wad and a hack anyway really. My gibby has enough of the goods at less than half the price.

The guitars that stood out were a Huss and Dalton, a custom 15k guitar by someone I hadnt heard of (Kevin Ryan's Nightengale-outstanding) and a whole bunch of their Martins. There was a recent oo21 that I especially liked at Gruhns and a nice vintage one at Carters.

Had breakfast at the Frothy Monkey. Got the sausage biscuits. Had lunch at Arnolds. Its a local staple cafeteria type place right next to Carters so it fit the bill.

Tonight we will go out Honkey Tonkin. Dont worry, Uber is instantaneous here. I'll report back after breakfast tomorrow.

The pic below is from the Blue Bird Cafe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	168903
    Last edited by Astro; Jun-26-2018 at 5:45pm.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nashville Today

+1 for the Frothy Monkey!

Have fun!

Welcome to Nashville...enjoy your stay!

Things must have changed at the Bluebird. The only time I tried to play there I was the guy after the last person selected. They gave me a little piece of paper that would guarantee I'd play the next time. There hasn't been a next time
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

When I was there I didn`t see/hear any bluegrass being played so I didn`t worry about getting that piece of paper....For such a place that once made it`s name for hillbilly music (country and bluegrass) and now you can`t hardly find any bluegrass or old style country music being played there...Larry Cordel is correct, "Someone killed country music down on music row"...SIGH

Willie

Re blue Bird Cafe Open Mic: Its a thing now.

I can't speak for how Monday night open mic at the BBC used to be, but I do know it has changed a lot in the last year. It has gotten very popular lately since it has become prominently featured in some TV or streamed series (Nashville? I dont know because I dont watch and forgot to ask). There was a movie camera there filming back drop scenes the night I went and a couple of the acts in the beginning may have been filmed. Also, the MC for the night said RIAA/A&R made a deal with them and now they have some scouts that attend looking for new talent. So the word is out I guess and those looking to "get a break" into "the biz" are coming and its just known as a cool thing to do for up and coming artists. I'd say about 1/3 of the acts fell in that group and several were working Nashville musicians. Another 1/3 just prob thought it would be fun to play in Nashville with no dreams of glory (like me) and another 1/3 seemed to be professional musicians (or semi) who were just passing through town.

Also this is now a songwriters open mic. No covers allowed and you have to be the one who wrote the song. They ask the songs not go much over 3 minutes and appreciate shorter ones. You have to remember your number and announce your number when you get up so everyone keeps track. You tune up in the corner before hand and you pop right up there as the prior act leaves and everyone was great with short turn overs and barely any mic check. The sound guy and system was excellent. The food and wait staff were pretty good for what it was. There is no talking allowed if someone is playing and they mean it. Smart phones off and no video unless permission is stated by the artist beforehand. No standing.

They changed how to get in and no longer accept vouchers. Now you start calling at a certain time (I think 1100Eastern/12 Central in Nashville) ON THE DAY of the performance and keep on calling when you get a busy signal like a radio contest. They take the first 25 people that get through. Its all over in about 20-30 minutes. Then you get there by 5:15 to check in or you loose your spot. Most come much earlier so they can get in line for a good table. I got there just before 5 and was in the back half of the line. But the order of performance is determined by the order of the phone call. Rules are on their web page. You are allowed to bring in one guest per act. If you dont get to perform, its even harder to get in for the audience. There isnt much seating left so if you bring several folks they better have reservations (if they'll take them?) or be there very early. Lots were turned down at the door. Show starts at 7 and goes to 9. Its run very punctually.

There was zero Blue Grass. It was about 1/3 country, 1/3 Americana/Folk and 1/3 something else acousticish. No electric guitars my night. All solos and Duo's (about half and half). Mostly guitar. One guy did Cello and sang and was very different but good. Several duos were guitar/bass. Most of the duos were just guitarist and singer. They have a keyboard available on stage that no one used. They also have a nice Taylor available that one guy used. They do not allow drums. They allow a max of 3 on stage. My night there were no trios.
    Last edited by Astro; Jun-27-2018 at 8:42am.

8. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

It was a songwriter's open mic the night I was there. I think it was only one night a week when I was last there. There were a few locals that were hawking their CD's or cassettes during their sets. Most were people looking to break out and I was there just because.

A very nice woman was running it and the only guy I remember was an older guy playing the banjo and singing songs of his own composition that weren't real politically correct. The woman running the open mic called him by his given name not the stage persona he had adopted.

That same weekend I did a songwriters open mic at the Gibson Showcase and was paired up with a young lady that was reminiscent of Phoebe on Friends. She'd do a song, I'd sit and try not to crack up and then I'd do one. My wife was sitting in the audience trying not to crack up. The local guys running the open mic obviously took the out of towner for a ride.

There was a guy I met at one open mic that was giving out a list of Nashville area open mic's at various places around town. It looked like there several every night someplace.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Astro 

Just speaking with a friend this morning about making the pilgrimage to Carters.
    I take it you enjoyed the shop?
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Doc--Carter's was THE BEST.

13. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Plus One on Carter's. Plus 2 on the Dave Harvey. Bluegrass Night at the Ryman gets a Plus 3. Saw Grisman, 4 different guys named McCoury, Vince Gill and Jesse McReynolds.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

15. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Astro 

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

I'll also recommend the Gallery of Iconic Guitars, or GIG, at Belmont University. A guy donated his 5 million dollar collection to Belmont. The exhibit includes several Lloyd Loar mandolins, as well as a TON of other very cool instruments. I think it's only $5 to get in. I spent a good part of a morning there last time I was in Nashville.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

17. The following members say thank you to Steve VandeWater for this post:

I certainly didn't get the impression that Country Western or Bluegrass was dead when I was in Nashville two years ago. That was all I heard being played at the Ryman the Thursday night I was there. Two weeks later Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder were at the same venue.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    When I was there I didn`t see/hear any bluegrass being played so I didn`t worry about getting that piece of paper....For such a place that once made it`s name for hillbilly music (country and bluegrass) and now you can`t hardly find any bluegrass or old style country music being played there...Larry Cordel is correct, "Someone killed country music down on music row"...SIGH

Willie
    If what you're saying is true we need to organize a Tiki torch March around that place and chant "You cannot replace Bluegrass!".
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Re blue Bird Cafe Open Mic: Its a thing now... Also this is now a songwriters open mic. No covers allowed and you have to be the one who wrote the song. They ask the songs not go much over 3 minutes and appreciate shorter ones.
    Some open mics with cover tunes can be like karaoke (which is fun but it's karaoke). The BBC wasn't high on my list for next visit but you definitely have me interested now. Congrats on making it in. Good story. Did anyone video your song?

21. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Astro 

I loved it there. I never got to Gruhn's. I went to Carter's every day I was there
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Got some shakey smart phone video that I'll try to edit down to size when I get back...Here is a quickie smart phone home recording of the song I did...I chose this one because its the countriest song I've written and this is Nashville after all... (I'm not that into country-I do more Americana-type stuff usually)

This smart phone recording (thru condensor mic and irig and then striaght to utube) is pretty bare bones with no reverb or enhancements...try to imagine with some bass, light percussion and harmony vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIw0AtH6aY

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Got some shakey smart phone video that I'll try to edit down to size when I get back...Here is a quickie smart phone home recording of the song I did...I chose this one because its the countriest song I've written and this is Nashville after all... (I'm not that into country-I do more Americana-type stuff usually)

This smart phone recording (thru condensor mic and irig and then striaght to utube) is pretty bare bones with no reverb or enhancements...try to imagine with some bass, light percussion and harmony vocals

Wow! Didn't look like you at all. It was almost like you were a ghost.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

26. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Astro 

Did you happen to play the Gibson Alan Bibey and the Duff Scout? Been eyeing those.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stolkin View Post
    Did you happen to play the Gibson Alan Bibey and the Duff Scout? Been eyeing those.
    Rats, I didnt notice a Bibey Gibson. Was it in the high end room? They did have a couple of those "Monroe commemorative" Gibsons and they were OK but nothing blow your socks off. They had 2 or 3 Duffs in a row in that room too and I played them all but didnt notice if it said 'Scout" on one of them.

I was in such a frenzie. I wish I could have slowed down a bit but lots of coffee and a time limit and so many mandos to try.

I see in my original post I forgot to mention the Collings batch. Carters had a boat load of them. Prob every model. They were hanging on the side wall of the mando section in the big room. I played a few and they were nice too but not exactly my thing so I didnt spend much time there. They had most all make of Webers too. I played a couple of nice ones.

Carters is the best music store I have ever been to. It alone was worth the trip. Some of the mandos had older strings, but every one I played was in tune. Every guitar I played was in tune except one.

Great tune! A kinda John Prine vibe!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

30. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

Astro 

Rats, I didnt notice a Bibey Gibson. Was it in the high end room? They did have a couple of those "Monroe commemorative" Gibsons and they were OK but nothing blow your socks off. They had 2 or 3 Duffs in a row in that room too and I played them all but didnt notice if it said 'Scout" on one of them.
    The Bibey probably wasn't in the high end room...it's $6k, a 2004. Looks cool. The Duff Scout is a one-off with F5G type appointments (top binding only).

32. The following members say thank you to Bob Stolkin for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Some open mics with cover tunes can be like karaoke (which is fun but it's karaoke). The BBC wasn't high on my list for next visit but you definitely have me interested now. Congrats on making it in. Good story. Did anyone video your song?
    OK the phone footage was a bit shaky and I'm not a great performer (dont do it much) so I edited down to the closing chorus sinse I posted the whole song in sketch mode above already. But at least it gives the flavor of the open mic night. Very cordial crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroc_fDpWFo

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stolkin View Post
    Ive played the Duff Scout it was good, I remember wondering what "scout meant"