Thread: Michael Kelly Dragonfly 2

Default Michael Kelly Dragonfly 2

I was given one of these, it's beautifully constructed, excellent condition except dead strings. From everything I have read on here, I don't expect much from sound. However despite the need for fresh strings it doesn't sound terrible. Action is good and low, clear notes no buzzing. I have searched for more info when the dragonfly 2 was produced,this one comes from Korea. And the website says "deep carved top" what does that mean? I don't know if that only pertains to the more recent ones. Any info on this would be helpful just to satisfy my curiosity

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Kelly Dragonfly 2

It’s true that MKs are not a favorite here, but since it was a gift and you have nothing into it, you can spend a few $$ on it. If it needs a set up, do it. Maybe a Cumberland Acoustic bridge would improve the sound. Also, a Tone Guard might help with volume. Enjoy your new mandolin.
    Living’ in the Mitten

3. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

mee 

"deep carved" is referring to the arching of the top and back. I don't recall if they actually had a more pronounced arch than average.

They have change factories several times, but that should still apply to yours.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

mee 

There are several MK fans here and the dragonfly is the top of the line. They are not bad sounding and i prefer them to The Loar mandolins in sound. A good setup helps every mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

mee 

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5765EBF-2805-4A81-92E1-7DEFBD0BC4C8.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	168895 here is the serial # if anyone can make it out and date it.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I once played an Elegante that I thought was OK. Otherwise, my experience with the MK line has been underwhelming. But hey, it was free so play the heck out of it and learn.
    Last edited by Steve Ostrander; Jun-26-2018 at 3:32pm. Reason: incorrect info
    Living’ in the Mitten

A friend of mine has a MK Dragonfly, and to my ear it is a very decent mandolin in terms of build and sound. At least as good as most The Lores and some Kentuckys I have played. Hey, free ain't a bad deal! Enjoy!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

11. The following members say thank you to Roger Adams for this post:

mee 

I enjoy my 199.00 MK every day. It is what it is, but I've played all solid Kentuckys and Eastmans I didn't like any better. But right out of the box? Yuck. Ten hours of work later, it played just fine. I don't ever worry about it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

13. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

mee 

I had a ‘Delux’ that I really liked. I wish I still had it to compare to my current Weber.

15. The following members say thank you to seg for this post:

mee 

Got it set up with new strings and WOW what a difference. Crystal clear notes, good chop, not the sound of my Gibson but better than the Eastman I had. Maybe I'll give those Monel strings a try next string change.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mee For This Useful Post:

I bought a Dragonfly MK11 in 2005 and play it a lot. It took about 5 years for the sound to open up. A very thick finish. I love the neck. The pickup is so so. I use it plugged in so I run it through a pre amp.