Thread: Pava and Girouard

Default Pava and Girouard

I finally got to go by Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, a shop I like more each time I visit. They have both Pava and Girouard mandolins. I had played one Pava but never played a Girouard, and got to play them side by side.

Both are very well made, and would be my pleasure to own.

The Pava was very warm and woody, chopped very like a Gibson, but perhaps not as midrangey, with more highs, but overall not as bright as I remember the last MT I played. It struck me as being very well balanced.

The Girouard had a very forward jangle like tone. I thought at first it might have had brand new strings, but that was not the case. It was louder than the Pava, and I thought what a mandolin to have to cut through in a band situation.

This is one of those what are you going to use it for decisions. Probably would take the Pava home if given the choice.I think I would put less bright strings on the Girourd if I could.

But man, the bounty of choices we have today is pretty exceptional. Just to be able to shop Weber, Girouard, Collings, and Pava, Northfield,(and Ellis though that is to rich for me) in an easy day's outing is mind blowing. Gibson is the hard to try out brand in my neck of the woods.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Default Re: Pava and Girouard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17E22A28-8874-42C1-B896-E3C943387163.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	789.3 KB 
ID:	168795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E43397D0-647A-4DA6-96D0-5E62BA69BE16.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	960.5 KB 
ID:	168794

Just caught this Girouard. He’s doing amazing work!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Woah, that's a purty mando.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

wow Mary, just wow!
    d

Cedar top? Yum. The back is really gorgeous.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Yes, cedar. It has a very nice, focused sound for an oval hole.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I love my pava, it's nice and woody with a good depth of sound. It's got a good bass response, which is important me. My next mando is definitely going to be a custom girouard. They have great selection of woods and honestly make some of the most beautifully crafted mandolins I have seen and heard. Really got those "bell like" highs.

11. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17E22A28-8874-42C1-B896-E3C943387163.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	789.3 KB 
ID:	168795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E43397D0-647A-4DA6-96D0-5E62BA69BE16.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	960.5 KB 
ID:	168794

Just caught this Girouard. He’s doing amazing work!
    Not only 'he'/Max. His wife Lauri does some of the finest staining work I've seen anywhere. The back on your mandolin is gorgeous.

Ron, my comment pertains to the voicing on the recent instruments, which is all Max. The aesthetics are great, and I know Lauri and Max, personally. Lauri and I have had long discussions about the strides Max (let's give credit where credit is due) has made in voicing his instruments. However, she is the one responsible for the finishes (something a lot of builders loathe and some farm out), and she keeps the whole operation going, under a mound of paperwork, plus she holds down a full-time job. They've both made great strides, and to be honest the last Girouard A5 I bought at TME hangs in with the best of them, including all the top boutique builders who are charging oodles more.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

wow, the aesthetics of that one are sublime! MAS is striking…! again.

That Girouard is just gorgeous. If I wasn't so happy with the mandolins I already have, I would be sorely tempted.

+1 for Girouard ovals. I recently received my custom order from Max and Lauri. Here's my 2018 Girouard next to my 1918 A1 Gibson. The Girouard is an incredible instrument.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180709_131604.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	169308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180709_131626.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	169307  

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post: