Thread: Summer camping trips with the mandolin...

Default Summer camping trips with the mandolin...

I'm planning a few camping trips this summer in Washington and Oregon. I only own a Kentucky KM-150 and am considering bringing it with me.

Assuming I can avoid major spills, will I be doing damage bringing it? Temperature ranges likely to stay well above freezing and well below boiling. I know to avoid bugspray, moisture, car trunks etc.

Any other tips or words of caution? I've considered buying a rogue for camping but I'm a lefty so there is a fair amount of work to get it into playable shape.

Default Re: Summer camping trips with the mandolin...

freezing, boiling, and major spills would be a doing a merciful favor to a Rogue... take the Kentucky, dude!

3. The following members say thank you to Tomando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tomando View Post
    freezing, boiling, and major spills would be a doing a merciful favor to a Rogue... take the Kentucky, dude!
    You could knock a small bear unconscious with a Rogue without breaking it. Sounds like shiite but built like a tank.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Take the 150! Took my Eastman 315 camping in NC a couple of summers ago when temps reached 102-103 with 80-90% humidity, and it did fine. Kept it in its whimpy gig bag in the shade/tent. Had to re-tune the first night, then it stayed surprisingly stable the rest of the weekend. Also take it to Charleston, SC, to the beach every year (Sullivan’s Isle shout out!), and have had no major issues. That’s usually temps in the 90s and 90-95% humidity. I actually wipe it down with a towel if I take it out to the porch to play in the evenings because of the condensation that forms...Don’t leave it a car in direct sunlight, avoid getting it rained upon, and you should be ok, especially in that climate...
    Chuck

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

All this discussion makes a Mix/MAD carbon fiber mandolin sound very much worth the price. I hope to have one someday just to avoid worrying about a crappy sounding mandolin getting messed up in hot,humid environments.

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post
    All this discussion makes a Mix/MAD carbon fiber mandolin sound very much worth the price. I hope to have one someday just to avoid worrying about a crappy sounding mandolin getting messed up in hot,humid environments.
    While I think the MAD/Mix mandolins are a great idea and very successfully executed, you could buy 10 Kentucky KM-150's for the price of 1 MAD A style. A KM-150 is not a crappy sounding mandolin imho but I wouldn't worry about it if you take reasonably good care of it while camping. Some refer to them as "beaters" but I wish they were available when I first started playing mandolin.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

9. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I only have my Flatiron Performer F5 which I bring camping along with a Martin Shenandoah and an Epiphone MB250. I have good cases for all and wiping them down after use is advised. Higher altitudes are drier, as are campfires, so I bring some small sponges to keep the cases humidified. I like to keep them in their cases when they aren't being played.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

11. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

Take the Kentucky, I've been at campouts with a Monteleone...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

13. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

The real problem here is you need a beater. So you need to go buy a Collings so you can consider your KM 150 your beater. That way you can take your KM 150 without worrying. After all, it's your beater.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    While I think the MAD/Mix mandolins are a great idea and very successfully executed, you could buy 10 Kentucky KM-150's for the price of 1 MAD A style. A KM-150 is not a crappy sounding mandolin imho but I wouldn't worry about it if you take reasonably good care of it while camping. Some refer to them as "beaters" but I wish they were available when I first started playing mandolin.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    My Kentucky keeps sounding better and better as I improve. When it becomes the limiting factor in improving my tone, I'll upgrade

17. The following members say thank you to dadsaster for this post:

CeeBee 

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Take the Kentucky just make sure you take care of it, which you seem to know that already I have taken my J Bovier F5T many times camping, but sometimes when I'm just going fishing and it has a big chance of bad weather, I always take one of my lesser ones , which luckily I have plenty of
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I just posted, a couple of weeks ago, a "beater - no beater" post and this same idea was discussed. Bottom line...I leave next week for ROMP and I'm not taking my Northfield...I'm taking my Loar 600. Between temperature concerns, hotel theft and drunken hippies and hillbillies, I would be nervous as a long tailed cat the whole time I'm there. Don't get me wrong...I have the same concerns for the Loar as well but not to the point that I'll be nuts about it. The other thing I did...I rolled both Mando's up under a personal property insurance policy with USAA...no deductible...and the doggone premiums are about $3.00 a month. Whether you decide on the the Rogue or the Kentucky, have fun on the camping trip.
    "I actually wanted to be a drummer, but I didn't have any drums." - Stevie Ray Vaughn

Northfield F5S "Blacktop", K&K Pickup

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LastMohican For This Useful Post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

You didn't indicate if your were attending any festivals while you're out camping. IMO, there is less to worry about taking an instrument camping than there is at a festival. One fest I say my best friend's kid stepping on top of the case holding my Rigel; it was time for a Festival/beach mando. My Washburn Jethro eventually became an Eastman 515. I've also picked up a Crafter a/e with the composite back a la an Ovation. That is now my general travel mandolin. You can find any number of them used online for just over $200 before the lefty conversion.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

22. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post: