Thread: Question for Red-Eye Twin Users

Question Question for Red-Eye Twin Users

I have seen a few people on here say that they are using the Red-Eye Twin at gigs where they play 2 instruments (guitar/mando) and run them both through the Twin.

That sound really handy and I am thinking of getting one for that purpose.

However, I am concerned about the ability to EQ the 2 instruments independently. I see that the Twin has a 'Treble' switch which will allow for independent control up above 2kHz. But there's a limitation there. For example, I usually cut the low-mids on my guitar, but not on my mando. (As an aside, I have K&K pickups in both my guitar and mando.)

It seems like it would have been better if the twin had 2 separate outputs for both channels. Then, you could run them to your mixer and EQ them independently.

So, it's the same price as the LR Baggs Venue. The Venue has much more control and the only downside being you have to swap out the cable when you change instruments.

I am leaning towards the Venue. Anyone have any insights on this? Thanks.

Default Re: Question for Red-Eye Twin Users

I use a Twin. My D-18 w K&K needs a bit of treble boost and less gain on the Twin than my Vierra zouk w K&K.For the zouk I run a Source Audio Digital EQ in the loop with a preset that boosts gain for the zouk. I found it very easy to switch to the zouk, turn on the eq and have level and eq settings so I don’ t have to touch the mixer. When going back to guitar I turn off the EQ and switch inputs on the Twin. Easy at a gig. One thing I found the Red Eye did was clean up the lower mids compared to my Baggs Para Di so I did not have to dial out lower mids as much. The Source Audio Eq has 4 presets so you could easily eq the guitar or one. I just found I didn’t need to.

I ran into the same issue, and ended up going with two Red Eye singles, one for mandolin and one for guitar. Costs a bit more, but much more flexible.

I use the Twin for my Martin acoustic (built in preamp and volume/eq knobs on guitar) and Collings mando with passive KK pickups. I use a Boss EQ in the Red Eye loop and turn it on when using my mando so I can EQ the mando and fine tune the mando level. When I switch to guitar I turn off the EQ. I use the treble and level knobs on the Red Eye for further fine tuning each instrument and then leave them as is. I pretty much have the mixer channel EQ set at flat and it sounds good. Boost works equally well for solo boost on either instrument. Maybe slightly less flexible than two Red Eyes but I like the one box, one mixer channel and not having to change cords.
    Collings MF Gloss Top mandolin, Kentucky KM-1000 mandolin, Godin A-8 electric mandolin, Pono Ukulele, Gold Tone PBS Signature Resonator guitar, Martin/Taylor 6 & 12 string acoustic guitars, Les Paul/ES-335/LP Jr./Strat/Tele elec guitars.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the idea of having 2 singles.

@spud3 Do you find that not having a mute button on the single is a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    If you want they will convert the solo boost to a mute. I added a small toggle to mine for a mute and still have the solo boost.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

willi

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Not so far. I have a TC mini-tuner in front of each Red Eye, so I just click those in to act as a mute.

Like I said, it's a little more expense, but having two dedicated setups saves switching cords and EQ'ing each time I change instruments. Board space is not an issue for us, either.