Thread: Ronnie McCoury on "Let Her Go"

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Ronnie McCoury on "Let Her Go"

Travelin' McCourys cover Passenger's "Let Her Go" - Ronnie's smokin' on the mandolin and I can hear Del in his vocals, pretty strong family resemblance in the timbre of their voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OnMF20MrE
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ronnie McCoury on "Let Her Go"

I had the good fortune to see The Traveling McCoury's live not too many weeks back in Cambridge, MA. They really had it together and one couln't help notice Ronnie was having the time of his life. He had his Gilchrist absolutely smoking and his voice is just fantastic. And what a band.... Cody Kilby was especially killing it on guitar. I'd strongly encourage members to check them out if given the chance. During the second set they typically perform a "Grateful Ball" with Ronnie playing electric mandolin and cranking out Dead tunes. There are some cool interviews of his relationship with Dawg and meetings with Jerry Garcia too.
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissingString For This Useful Post:

We had the opportunity to see them in a small venue (150+/-) a few months ago. They are all great musicians. Rob is smooth on the banjo, makes it look effortless. We have some pretty good fiddlers around so Jason was a big hit and having fun.

Blog Entries

His rhythm playing ain't too shabby. Wide open tone on that mandolin. Nice

I've tried twice to catch their life show in North Carolina and both times (at two different cities) it has been rescheduled due to unforeseen circumstances out of their control. I get that things come up, but it's frustrating to have been twice now.

I got the new CD "Travelin" and it is fantastic. Lots of good stuff on there.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

So does anyone have the Tablature or sheet music for the song?

Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post
    During the second set they typically perform a "Grateful Ball" with Ronnie playing electric mandolin and cranking out Dead tunes. There are some cool interviews of his relationship with Dawg and meetings with Jerry Garcia too.
    Are they typically doing this on all of their shows these days? When I have seen them billed solo, they are not playing a whole set of dead tunes. Grateful Ball sets that I have seen them do have been at shows where they were collaborating with another band, originally Jeff Austin Band, but I know they have done some Grateful Ball shows with some other groups since Jeff passed. I'm not 100% sure but my memory is that Ronnie was still playing an acoustic on the Grateful Dead set. I don't think I've seen them since the pandemic started, so maybe this has changed.

just saw Ronnie @ JD Crowe's funeral. Love that he took his time to honor a legend, and one upon whom helped carry the genre that Ronnie loves & prospers from. I didn't think I could like Ronnie more, but after seeing him at the funeral I realized I was wrong.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Thank you for posting this.
    I was fortunate to see The Traveling McCourys Band play at an outdoor festival two years ago. Not a band that I would have typically gone to see but they were on a bill that included their father playing with Dawg (I never pass up an opportunity to see Dawg, regardless of what he is playing). Also appearing on the bill was Billy Strings. The free festival was an opportunity to campground pick and was my primary reason for attending.
    They are exceptional players and all the concert performers met most of the attendees tastes for non traditional Bluegrass.
    The performances were, for me, quite memorable.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

they are having delfest this year...relatively soon, and they are going to perform, as far as i know. i think tuttle and hull will be there, i cant remember the exact lineup but it is online for your (or anyone elses) perusal.