Thread: New Jam Session Advice

Default New Jam Session Advice

This Friday I will have a bunch of friends over to jam as a group for the first time. Not having done this before and having people of different skill sets, what is some advice to make sure everyone is having a good time? (other than beer, that is already covered) We plan on irish/americana, folk to start. Thanks!

Default Re: New Jam Session Advice

I went to my first jam ever about a month ago, the group was welcoming, they went around the group, each person picking a song to play, announced the song and what key it was in, and started and everyone else joined in. If it was a new song to the group, the person picking that song had a sheet with the lyrics typed up and handed a copy out to everyone. We went around many times in the 3 hours. Sometimes the person picking the song would defer on the solo part, and another player would take it. It was a lot of fun.

3. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Have a list of songs and keys - not as a set list but as 'what do we play now?' answers.

Ask everyone to bring one song that they've prepared.

Have fun.

Spread the solos and vocals equitably - don't let someone dominate (even if they're better than everyone else)

Have fun.

Have no rules re capos, retunings, etc - let people play how they play

Have fun.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

5. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Blog Entries

Speaking from a musical aspect, if it's a small jam with close friends, you'll probably have no problem. If you have a larger group coming (10+) you might do well to find out what genre jams most of these people go to, because they'll be used to whatever they've done before.

My meaning is, a formal Irish jam is run very differently from a formal Folk jam and from a formal Bluegrass jam -- and the same also applies with other genre jams. They all have their differences. With a small intimate group of friends you can lead songs together from any of these jamming environments informally, but the larger the group gets, the more things get confusing. Jams in every genre can be great fun, but with larger groups you probably want to do a little genre-specific study to help them run smoothly.

From a "gathering of friends where music breaks out" aspect, all the normal thoughts about having guests over apply, and it sounds like you've got that covered.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

7. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Blog Entries

A few of the open jams I've been to with a wide range of skill level, and no one leading the group, have been mostly a wreck. If it's a mixed skill jam I think it helps to have some simple guidelines. Like having a list handy of familiar tunes that you can call from. Maybe call 2-3 tunes from the list and then one not listed if several folks know it.

If the skill level is intermediate or higher most folks can hang on or hang back for a more familiar tune to come around.

9. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ion4014 View Post
    ...what is some advice to make sure everyone is having a good time? (other than beer, that is already covered)...
    Chicken wings wouldn't hurt. Paper towels to clean the fingers...

There was an old WWII naval saying, "The convoy proceeds at the speed of its slowest ship." Make sure no one's left out, and that the more experienced and skilled accommodate the lesser. Don't know how big your "bunch" is, but make sure you're aware of how everyone is doing. Try not to discourage anyone's suggestions, and to keep others from doing so. If one person's shy, don't pressure him/her to take the lead, other than some gentle encouragement; don't put anyone "on the spot."

You may well find that not all participants are equally well versed in the general jam repertoire, which is OK. One problem I have noticed in certain jam situations, is a divide between those who want to play instrumentals, and those who want to sing with just some instrumental back-up. Experienced instrumentalists can get impatient with the somewhat less interesting (to them) and challenging role of accompanist, and singers don't want to sit through nine or ten straight fiddle tunes when all they're doing is chording behind unfamiliar music. I'd say that a decent mix of songs and tunes is possible, but that may require some leadership on your part.

I love jams and sing-arounds, and have no problem playing accompaniment or back-up as needed. There's a certain skill to being a jam leader or participant, and it's truly not for everybody. Good luck.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

If someone wants to skip their break, their turn to lead a song, or sit out from playing for a while let them. I’ve been to jams that are too sensitive about including everyone equally, so they end up forcing people to play when they’re nervous and they get embarrassed. It is important to make room for different skill levels but don’t hold people’s feet to the fire to do everything everyone else is doing. It can chase people away.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canuckle For This Useful Post:

The way my memory is, I find it helps to have a list of tunes and songs that are appropriate for the jam at hand. I know hundreds of songs and tunes, but I always seem to be struggling to think of one when it's suddenly my turn.
    Mitch Russell

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onassis For This Useful Post:

I did start out straight away by saying this was for fun, you want a break take it, if not no worries. You screw up, no worries, you don't know the song, no worries. I do need to keep tabs on a good bunch of songs to play. I was thinking of making quick song books for next time. Thanks for the advice!

This Friday I will have a bunch of friends over to jam as a group for the first time. Not having done this before and having people of different skill sets, what is some advice to make sure everyone is having a good time? (other than beer, that is already covered) We plan on irish/americana, folk to start. Thanks!
    I would gently ask them in advance to come prepared with a couple of tunes for the jam. Maybe extra copies of lyrics sheets and be prepared to teach the chords...no 12 chord tunes with key change at bridge and every other chorus please...

I'm currently leading an acoustic jam with no particular rule other then no electirc instruments...it must be like herding cats, I'm never sure who will show up and what we will do but we manage to have fun. I found a couple of jam books on the web with alot of standard OT/BG songs and sent that out to everyone as an example and for them to have the lyrics and chords. I encourage them to take breaks but if they don't that's ok.

I'm still not sure how to handle the ones who noodle over everyone's solo then when it's their turn to solo say...oh, no I don't know how to play...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

18. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I did start out straight away by saying this was for fun, you want a break take it, if not no worries. You screw up, no worries, you don't know the song, no worries. I do need to keep tabs on a good bunch of songs to play. I was thinking of making quick song books for next time. Thanks for the advice!
    Do a couple of Google searches for jam books and you'll find quite a few helpful examples.

Here's one I found with alot of standards...

http://caboma.org/wp-content/uploads...ssSongbook.pdf

And another from Dr. Banjo...

https://www.drbanjo.com/pdf/bluegrass-jam-favorites.pdf
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

20. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I agree with everything that has been said, one other thing don't get hung up on the structure, I've been to jams that there must be a break here a turn around here a half break here because that was how Joe Blow recorded it. A jam is for fun not to work things out like a band, if there are 8 lead instrument 3 of them mandolins let each one have a break if they want it, even if all three mandolins play the same thing, don't forget to let the bass shine on the songs he can break.

22. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

if there are dulcimers or banjos, it helps to pick a key for a few tunes. They usually retune for the specific key - at least in old-time and (I think) Irish? Not too sure about Bluegrass.

Remember. . . whoever starts the tune has to kick up a foot to signal the last round. Otherwise, it's always uncertain when it ends. . .

Have fun.

Mmm, chicken wings!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

24. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post: