Thread: Flatiron Festival F versus a great Collings MT???

Default Flatiron Festival F versus a great Collings MT???

Hi folks,
    I have a Collings MT that is a "great" MT. But I'm wondering about a different tone these days. The volume would be the toughest detail to let go b/c it's so loud and I have a light touch.

I saw a sweet deal on a Nashville Flatiron Festival F for under $1500. The inside label says something like "Gibson Master Model Serial". Apprently, it's not signed by anybody. Obviously, I dont know much about these.

Not sure best question but I guess Im wondering if the grass would be any greener.

If it helps, the headstock looks like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	af82128e6daee4fe0e2ab3fef04086ce--the-flatiron-mandolin.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	168273

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Flatiron Festival F versus a great Collings MT???

There's no way to know how green the grass is until you... uhm... play it, I guess.

These things are so very subjective. I mean for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would play anything other than <insert_brand_name_here>.

I would never let go of a great instrument for an instrument I've never played. Maybe buy it as an addition... or buy it, try it against your MT, and sell the loser. Good luck.

These two are in a similar category in terms of quality. This would be a case of play before you buy. There's no guarantee of an upgrade.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have both of these. I bought a used 2004 MT wide nut and played it several years. Last year I bought a 2001 Nashville Flatiron off the classifieds here at the café. Each one is very different in the tone department. Really the MT is somewhat better solo and has a great round tone, the Flatiron has a little better cut for jams and more of the Gibson midrange sound. I find myself playing the Flatty most often because I like the F shape. I play both with 75s and really found that the heavier strings helped the tone on the flatty. But overall, once my ear adjusted to the sound of the Flatiron, both instruments have some of the best tone for the money. They are on different ends of the tone spectrum for sure. I'm keeping both for now, but if I had to sell one it would probably be the MT.

Thanks folks. Yeah, it's the volume that I hate let go. It's a beast. But in regards to tone, I'm wandering about this Flatiron. Oh well.

I’ve owned a Collings MT and MF... and a Nashville Flatiron Festival F

The Flatiron was a better overall mandolin, no question... it had the Gibson sound. It also had a strong G string and a great chop... Collings can be lacking in those areas, in my opinion.

I agree- if you can’t keep both, best to play it before you buy it. If you’re in love with your Collings and you’re used to how it sounds, the Flatiron might not be the one for you.

If you play bluegrass and fiddle tunes, I think the Flatiron could be the winner. If you play other kinds of music, your Collings might be the better choice.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

OP wrote:
    "I saw a sweet deal on a Nashville Flatiron Festival F for under $1500. The inside label says something like "Gibson Master Model Serial". Apprently, it's not signed by anybody. Obviously, I dont know much about these."

All the Nashville-made Flatiron Festival F's have an unsigned label that reads "Gibson Master Model" (even though they aren't one of the varnished "Master Models").

You will find it different than the Collings (perhaps that's what you're looking for).
    The fingerboard is flat, the nut width is 1 1/16" (at least it is on mine).
    The frets are smaller than on the Collings, but a little larger than they would be on an F-5g, I believe.
    The tone will be different -- the classic "Gibson sound".

The Festival F is very close in specs to the F-5g's of the time.
    Not identical, but... "close".
    They're nice instruments.

I guess I'm wondering which one is louder... (not that louder is better).
    Last edited by lespaul_79; Jun-05-2018 at 7:20pm.

I currently own one of each. I really like both. If it's is decent shape at all, $1500 is a great price on the Flatiron. I don't play a lot of bluegrass, so if I had to let one go it would most likely be the Flatiron. When I feel like a little Monroe stuff though.....it fills the bill. On the other hand, there's the warm punchy sound of the MT. Glad I don't have to choose between them.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

The Gibson tone is an itch I'll have to scratch someday, even though I'm not much of a bluegrass player. With a Flatiron or Gibson, I could be. A Flatiron would be a nice complement to my 65 Epiphone Texan.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Bump... to see if anybody else has compared a Collings MT (or MF) to a Nashville Flatiron Festival F/Gibson F5G (Derringer era 1999-2001 I believe...)? Curious in regards to volume... for playing solos. Thanks!

You might want to try and find a Montana original Flatiron Festival F. I have one and it's a monster for playing in bluegrass jams. Very loud and woody. it seems to have a different neck (better) than the Gibson's I've played, but it might be my imagination. I don't know, but I have not been impressed with what I have played from the Nashville Flatirons. That's just IMHO though. Your tone may vary.
    Al in PT