Thread: Pawn Shop Oddities...

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Unhappy

I went to Benny's pawn shop to see what was on the shelf. Today I found an A Style and F Style "Large" Mandolins with 10 strings. At first I thought they were mandolas but they were way to big to be mandolas and it looked as if the strings were set up on both of them kind of cock-eyed.

The manufacturer was Dean. I don't know too much about them to comment either way.

What are they?
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Just forget you saw them and return to life as it was before you waltzed into Benny's

GM

Quote Originally Posted by (PlayerOf8 @ July 15 2005, 18:02)
    Just forget you saw them and return to life as it was before you waltzed into Benny's

GM
    Gee Thanks for your help
    Keith Erickson

2002 Gibson Steffey F5 Brian Baker's Avatar
    *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

2002 Gibson Adam Steffey F5
    http://www.highway81bluegrass.com

Second mandolin(cheap Pac-Rim import)I ever owned came out of a pawnshop. Guy swore to me it was a great deal and he even threw in a gig bag free. This was before I was messing with eBay and the web was new to me as was playing the mandolin.

After a while I notice that he sold me a mandolin that you can buy all over the web for $89.00 for $169.00, and to make matters even worse, the mandolin he sold me was USED!

Never trusted pawnshops too much after that and also I noticed that most stuff from a pawnshop was about $2.00 cheaper than you could buy it new!

I have never been impressed with Dean guitars, probably good for an entry level or learning guitar or maybe a beater or camping/travel guitar although I would buy a low end model laminate Martin or Taylor first.

I haven't played a "Mondo Mando" but I would think they were like a novelty instrument like a Banjolin or a Strum Stik or something like that. Probably fun for a while but you'd get tired of it after a while.

The Mondo Mando is tuned like a guitar with some of the strings paired. Probably sounds like a guitar but with no power as it looks to be a flat top.

Why not just get an Octave mandolin instead?

I dunno, unless it was dirt cheap I probably would pass on the "Mando Mondo"

happy pickin!

Quote Originally Posted by (jim_n_virginia @ July 17 2005, 00:02)
    Second mandolin(cheap Pac-Rim import)I ever owned came out of a pawnshop. Guy swore to me it was a great deal and he even threw in a gig bag free. This was before I was messing with eBay and the web was new to me as was playing the mandolin.

After a while I notice that he sold me a mandolin that you can buy all over the web for $89.00 for $169.00, and to make matters even worse, the mandolin he sold me was USED!

Never trusted pawnshops too much after that and also I noticed that most stuff from a pawnshop was about $2.00 cheaper than you could buy it new!

I have never been impressed with Dean guitars, probably good for an entry level or learning guitar or maybe a beater or camping/travel guitar although I would buy a low end model laminate Martin or Taylor first.

I haven't played a "Mondo Mando" but I would think they were like a novelty instrument like a Banjolin or a Strum Stik or something like that. Probably fun for a while but you'd get tired of it after a while.

The Mondo Mando is tuned like a guitar with some of the strings paired. Probably sounds like a guitar but with no power as it looks to be a flat top.

Why not just get an Octave mandolin instead?

I dunno, unless it was dirt cheap I probably would pass on the "Mando Mondo"

happy pickin!

#
    Interesting comments about pawn shops. As I'm new to the wonderful world of mandolin playing, I'm not sure of my pricing knowledge for mando's. I have though, been beatin' and bangin' on a "pawn shop" Ibanez flat top guitar for over twenty years. Not to discredit your experience with your pawn shop mandolin, for I do know some shop's around Asheville overprice some real dog's. Fortunatly, there are a few reputiable pawners that can at times have a deal on a diamond in the rough. All it takes is a little digging and a little jawin'. I did see an honest to god "1940's" STELLA F-hole archtop in a shop in Greenville, Tenn. about 15 years ago. It was priced cheap. Still kicking myself for not buying it. Oh well, thanks for lettin' me jaw.

Thank you all for the info. I agree that novelty stuff is a hoot for a while but I can see getting bored really easy.

I do a lot more looking in pawnshops than anything else. The reason why is because a while back one of the Benny's Pawn Shops sold a Flatiron for US$150 or US$200 bucks. They only had it in the shop for 2 hours before it walked off.

I guess I'm trying to make sure that I get "the one that didn't get away"
    Keith Erickson

I don't know if these stores are more regulated in some places but in New York, pawn shops also used to be the repository of stolen instruments. Many years ago, a friend of mine had her banjo ripped off from her apartment and someone I know found it in a local pawn shop a few weeks later.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

jgarber,

With just one post, you probably turned me off to making any pawnshop purchase ever again.

I should have thought about it long and hard when I read that story about the gentleman up in New Hampshire who had his stolen $10K mando pawned off for $50 bucks at a local shop.

I couldn't live with myself if I had purchased anything that was stolen.
    Keith Erickson

I played a Dean "Bluegrass" F the other day and I can confidently declare it the worst mandolin I've yet played. Tone, volume, and build quality were all down in the dumps. Maybe the slave laborers in the factory were having an off day...

Quote Originally Posted by (8_String_Keith @ July 18 2005, 15:40)
    jgarber,

With just one post, you probably turned me off to making any pawnshop purchase ever again.

I should have thought about it long and hard when I read that story about the gentleman up in New Hampshire who had his stolen $10K mando pawned off for $50 bucks at a local shop.

I couldn't live with myself if I had purchased anything that was stolen. #
    Yeah, but better you buy the $50 mando (a responsible person who would probably contact the original owner if you found out it was stolen) than someone of less scruples.

As an aside, my friend's guitar was stolen & he found it a week later in a pawn shop…and had to pay to get it back. And apparently the police were fine with that. BOOOOO

Usually though if you keep your serial numbers handy, if an item gets stolen, it'll turn up in a pawnshop & you'll get it back. That's better than it just disappearing into the void.

Well... if it makes you feel any better...

I believe that in New York City there is some control over this thing, For instance, when I sold some instruments to a dealer in the music district they made me show ID and I have to give some info to them. If I was selling stolen merchandise then I suppose they could track me down.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Unless you remembered to use a fake ID too.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!