Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery Mandolin Arriving Wed.

Default Re: Mystery Mandolin Arriving Wed.

Definitely not an A-4 but it looks good otherwise. Can you look inside on the neck block to see what FON number it is? That might be a more accurate way of determining the year. Closest SN numbers in the archive look like 1910. That might make sense since your other oe dates from 1909.

Strange though that the headstock logo is from the 1950s and later. I would guess that at some point it was sent back to Gibson for their refurbishing. I would guess that it had no logo originally and the later guys at Gibson put the current logo on the headstock.

Since there is no endpin I assume that the clamshell TP is cover and base. I wonder where the original TP went. Usually you just lose the cover not the base.

It looks like those are the original tuners but that the bushings look larger than would have been on there originally. Mike E, our resident tuner expert, might confirm or deny that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Very nice mystery mandolin
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

4. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Nice, enjoy it.

6. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

Blog Entries

That is true, Jim. The logo is strangely mid-century. Hmmm.... Well, I know this one was purchased new in the 1910 range and was in the "matched set" at this point. The headstock insignia is interesting. Those tuners are the originals, so I don't know why the bushings look different. I see what you mean about the larger diameter in appearance. The clamshell-- I am not familiar with the terminology, but it has the string loop hooks in the bent over area at the bottom where the end pin would be. The shell cover is bent in a 90 degree angle and slides into position over the strings. There is a slot that I ran a leather lace through to tie on the strap. The label inside is exactly like the other one, with handwritten info, etc. The case is leather and all original, with the "car-trunk" flip up insert/slide-in rather than a flip up top, as on a typical modern case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_5162.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	612.9 KB 
ID:	168363
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"