Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F Styles uncomfortable?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default F Styles uncomfortable?

Are there others that find F Style mandolins uncomfortable to hold and handle or is it just me? I have owned only one, but have played many F styles, and have found that they do not rest well for me when playing from a setting position. I also suspect that the points, scroll, and ornately carved headstocks are more vulnerable to damage.
    Perhaps this is just part of my eccentricities. I have many.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: F Styles uncomfortable?

That is the reason why Gibson built the famous A-5 Loar Mandolin for Mrs. Griffith.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Are there others that find F Style mandolins uncomfortable to hold and handle or is it just me? I have owned only one, but have played many F styles, and have found that they do not rest well for me when playing from a setting position. I also suspect that the points, scroll, and ornately carved headstocks are more vulnerable to damage.
    Perhaps this is just part of my eccentricities. I have many.
    You are not alone, although we are not common. I have never bonded with those long-scale high string tension archtop instruments and prefer lightly strung short scale Italian/European style instruments.

But like I say, we are a minority.

Joe Walsh seems to only play A style mandolins.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

My points are chipped

When I sit down to play I raise the headstock up just a bit so the points don`t dig into my leg, and I also find that is a nice way to hold the mandolin even when standing...Buzz Busby used to raise it up by his ear and play it but he never owned an f model either...

Willie

I am completely comfortable with my playing position while sitting but I struggle mightily with trying to play while standing and strapped up. I just can't figure it out. I know a contributing factor for this is that I'm on the rotund side!!

Dave Sheets

I've had this happen with guitars, I had a really nice Gibson ES-335 that sounded great, but I have never been physically comfortable playing it. I just didn't fit my body. A-body mandos are great for me, teles are effortless...
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buzzbusbystyle.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	168169

Another Buzz Busby style option. See the cover of the recently released John Duffey tribute album for the same positioning of an F style.

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    I am completely comfortable with my playing position while sitting but I struggle mightily with trying to play while standing and strapped up. I just can't figure it out. I know a contributing factor for this is that I'm on the rotund side!!
    David Grisman holds his mandolin higher than anyone I've seen in some time. Chest high, not quite at his shoulders, but still pretty high. At least that was where he held it when I saw him with Del McCoury at Ryman, in Nashville. I need to look at a video from when he was the younger, skinny, pre-rotund Grisman, to see where he held it then. I was wondering if his girth had anything to do with his positioning when playing.

Well I just took a look at a clip of Grisman with Stephane Grapelli and he held his mandolin much lower. Waist high.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I prefer A’s for the same reason. I have never found a strap that has made an F style as comfortable to play as an A.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LastMohican View Post
    I used to be rounder but loosing weight has not increased my comfort level playing a F style. I continued to find an A style more comfortable to play and handle seated or standing but much more noticeable while seated.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

While I have owned an F years ago, it was A's before and after for me.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

At last year's Marshall Mandolin Summit, Mike Marshall advised the F-players to put their left foot on a footrest like a classical guitarist so the leg is elevated for the mandolin to rest on. Or to do like Chris Thile and use your right foot as a footrest for your left! Apparently that's how the instrument was designed to be held, way back when people got together in large groups and sat up straight and played lots of mandolins together.

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    David Grisman holds his mandolin higher than anyone I've seen in some time. Chest high, not quite at his shoulders, but still pretty high...I was wondering if his girth had anything to do with his positioning when playing.

I've always held instruments pretty high when playing (I've always played seated). Now that I'm more...err...physically robust, I play with my mando up around diaphragm high with it (by necessity) looking up at me.Totally comfortable to me that way now.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

I'm on the side for the F model,,I don't have any problems sitting or standing,as a matter of fact,I kind of love them....

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I'm an A fan myself, not necessarily just for comfort, but I've played very few F's that I liked, 1 of which was a Gil... if I can't afford a Collings, I definitely can't afford Gil.

Tim O'Brien,... just sayin'
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I'm an 'A' or two-point player, or an A/N flat-top. I know that F's have their fans and that's great, but overall they just don't do it for me. I like that we have multiple styles to select from.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I prefer A’s as well.

I find no difference in playing a F or an A as far as comfort. Although I stand and sit while playing I prefer sitting.

When I first learned on a A, and tried the F, it was not comfortable; but then I spent more time with an F, made adjustments, and now like the F better.

What I have found is that the F wants to balance about 4 inches to the left on the lap, compared to the A (while seated). So it makes sense that people might find one or the other more comfortable. I have come to appreciate utilizing the points to keep the instrument stable in my lap.

I use a strap all the time,sitting or standing. I have the mandolin so that the lower point,is above my belt height,so that there's no chance of the buckle scratching the back. It is a tad higher than most players seem to use,but it suits me fine,& i'm a little closer to all the notes i'm playing,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ... so that there's no chance of the buckle scratching the back. ...
    Hmmm, I wish I still had to worry about that. Over the last 20 years or so, I seem to have grown in my mid section enough that my belt buckle is never a problem anymore. I remember having to wrap a square of leather over the belt buckle. Things change.

I also wear the strap all the time, sitting or standing. And for me, the strap goes over my neck and right shoulder, pretty solidly positioning the mandolin. When sitting the points of my F-style mandolins seem to all be in the right place, and the scroll provides a nicely balanced place to anchor the strap.

I also wear the strap over my neck and right shoulder with my other main playing instruments, although I have to sit while playing my more heavy banjos or my Dobro, due to balance and lower back issues. Happily, my classic banjo is light enough for me to stand with.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

25. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

I haven’t played an F much, partly because when I’ve tried, the neck just wants to drop so bad I have to hold it up and my left hand becomes captive to that. I understand you can lock it into position in your lap but that doesn’t work standing up (for me). My A just stays at the angle I put it.

Add me to the 'A' list. I don't like that huge chunk of excess wood (the scroll) getting in between me and the fretboard. An A is so nice and symmetrical. I also like the two-point shape which can be symmetrical or slightly asymmetrical (e.g., Sorensen Sprite).

But that chunk of wood = ugly.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn