Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Northfield Airloom Recurve review

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield Airloom Recurve review

I suppose this is now a philosophical argument. It does not matter to anyone because there is no right answer.

For me, I've opened guitar, violin and mandolin cases for most of my life and I think only a few have opened all the way. So I've come to expect the top to open at a certain angle which means that something behind the case will not be hit if it opens all the way.

Maybe I'm 'stuck in my ways' and unwilling to change. A creature of habit and not very quick anymore. I'm 66 years old. But I have seen all kinds of situations in my long years and now I'm a little more careful. A younger person like yourself obviously can adapt almost instantly. And create a habit because there is no decades long backlog of experience. Old habits have not formed yet. Well fine. Who am I to get in the way of youth? And who am I to share a valid concern when the Gods of cool designs have spoken?

If you can't imagine any dangers with this design, I could make up some stories for you. However I plan to help others here to see a broader perspective and to possibly help make a 'better' instrument case. There is no right answer, both designs are fine. For me 'better' is a lid that stays up when I open the case.
    Last edited by DougC; Apr-23-2019 at 11:05pm.

I know that with a top the opens all the way, I don’t have to worry about it closing when I’m not ready and putting a ding in my instrument.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

3. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carleshicks View Post
    I know that with a top the opens all the way, I don’t have to worry about it closing when I’m not ready and putting a ding in my instrument.
    Yep, there are 'pros and cons'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Possibly the lid issue could be modified by the user by sewing in a little ribbon from base to lid like many cases have. (Like in DougC's avatar)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I took advantage of the recent sale at Northfield and picked up the Slate Grey with new latches and two straps for my new Buckeye mandolin. This is a really cool case which looks more black in person than grey. It's actually more of a charcoal black but somehow looks more grey than it actually is in these photos.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BuckeyeRecurve.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	583.8 KB 
ID:	177955
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recurve.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	669.7 KB 
ID:	177956
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

7. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

I forgot to mention that with the case, Northfield sent a free matching baseball cap and a nice case sticker. Nice!
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Another vote for opens all the way. I do not worry about knicking my mando on the case latches as I have with cases that only open 90 (or less) degrees.

true!