Thread: Entry-level mandola

Default Entry-level mandola

Hey all, I'm interested in mandola (and octaves, but that's another story). For whatever reason, I like the lower pitches, and have always had trouble getting my fingers out of each others' way on teensy little mando fretboards!

I am struggling to find something that I can pick up for starters. Obviously, there are a metric ton of cheap starter mandolins--yes, I realize many are bad, but at least you can pick something up for stupid cheap to play around with. Not so for mandola. As a young dad with two kiddos, it's tough for me to justify spending $700 for an Eastman or Gold Tone when I'll never make money playing it, and may not even get good enough to play in church.

So, I guess the question is this: exactly how bad are the Romanian Hora mandolas on ebay? How about the Taisamlu Vietnamese ones? I see some people saying that Taisamlu stuff isn't too bad (though they don't have good experiences with other Vietnamese builders).

I don't care about a pro-level instrument--I'm never going to be good enough to do much more than play my kids bedtime songs or around campfires--but I don't want to waste money on something that's going to just crack and break.

Am I chasing my tail? Should I just buy an 8-string tenor uke and change the strings out?

Default Re: Entry-level mandola

Don't touch the Taisamlu Vietnamese ones.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Hora.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I have a Hora Irish bouzouki, it is a serviceable, no frills instrument that I use frequently. You may need need to do a bit of set up work, but that's to be expected with lower priced instruments. APC instruments might also fit the bill. Both Hora and APC make instruments for other brands as well.

Big Muddy? They show up for around $500 used if you keep an eye out.

I had horror show with Tsai - stay far away. The "positive" feed back is from people buying small things like rosettes, not the instruments. He strings you out until your time to file a complaint expires, which is why you don't see many complaints.

Washburn had a not-badly priced mandola a while back but those are used only now.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I second the Big Muddy recommendation. I bought my first mandola from Mike and couldn't have been happier with the instrument and the customer service. You won't go wrong with a Big Muddy.

I’ve owned both a Hora mandolin and an octave. As said earlier both needed set up work to make them playable. At the time I thought they were OK but when I tried more expensive instruments I soon realised that they lacked any real depth to the sound. Relatively the octave had a better tone (compared to other octaves) whilst the mandolin was really very weak. I’d guess the Mandola would fall in between?

Haven’t played the Mandola but the Ashbury mandolins and octaves (http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/s.../320/mandolas/) are good value, in UK terms at least.

If you're looking at flat tops anyhow, I think you might find more options if you open it up to tenor guitars as well.
    The Ibanez PFT2NT is half decent.

Here's a decent Harmony
    https://reverb.com/item/12254444-har...r-1960s-w-case

There's one by Gold Tone, Kala, some by Blueridge

The Bruce Wei and Antoniotsai are barely playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart View Post
    The Bruce Wei and Antoniotsai are barely playable.
    I see them for sale second hand falling apart. Funny thing though, several years ago I had one of them, I don't remember which make me a fretted fingerboard with simple dot inlay. Excellent work! Fast, cheap, headache free.

I bought a 7-string guitar neck from Antoniotsai. When I got it and looked it over I found the frets were slotted in the wrong spots and weren't parallel to each other. With all the inlays it was impossible to pull and re-slot without a ton of work so I tried sending it back. They agreed to take it but cost of shipping to VN was almost as much as the neck. I sent it anyway only to have it returned weeks later as "undeliverable." By then he had my money and the time to file an ebay complaint had expired so I go totally hosed.

And, contrary to how he sells himself, Antoniotsai is actually a fellow by the name of Paul (forget the last name) who is in Philadelphia USA using VN as a front.

Buyer beware!
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I had a Trinity College mandola that was fairly serviceable. It didn't need any work to be playable and had a decent tone out of the box.
    Daniel Kaufman

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    I had a Trinity College mandola that was fairly serviceable. It didn't need any work to be playable and had a decent tone out of the box.
    I also have a T/C Mandola. For over 7 years and I am very happy with. Good tone, solid woods and a fair priced instrument. Good luck with your purchasing journey & I would stay well clear from the VN instruments. They are great to look at on the wall but awful to play when on your lap.
    James

Alternately, you could buy an octave mandolin and capo up to C. They are easier to come by and you'd be able to play in both OM and Mandola tuning.

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I like the thought of a Big Muddy--if I can find enough of my stuff to sell on eBay to fund one, I may go that direction. If I can't, I'll probably look at getting a Hora with a setup by my local luthier.

For what it is worth, I have a mandolin like ccraves describes. Except, it is a mandolin, with mandola body. called a jumbo.. It is an absolutely great instrument! You would love playing this but it is tuned GDAE, mandolin tuning. Great instument!

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    For what it is worth, I have a mandolin like ccraves describes. Except, it is a mandolin, with mandola body. called a jumbo.. It is an absolutely great instrument! You would love playing this but it is tuned GDAE, mandolin tuning. Great instument!
    It sounds like fun! I'm really looking for the CGDA tuning though. I did think about tenor guitar, but I've got a baritone uke in GDAE that I could convert for that--I like the double-course sound for melody.
    Howard Morris Oval-hole A-style Mandolin
    Ohana BK-70R Bar. Uke, cust. nylon string set in GDAE
    Kala U-Bass
    Krappy Guitars Custom Radiused Fretted Electric Upright Bass

As for Hora, I bought one of their bouzoukis and felt that i got MORE than I paid for. The instrument does feel a bit light, but mine played well right out of the box. Warning, their cases are not included and really expensive, I bought a banjo case at my local and it did the trick just fine.. Also, they are shipping from Romania, so don't expect less than two weeks. Other than that, decent instrument for a really low price, lots of fun and didn't break the bank. Now I know that I like the zouk, I will start saving for a real one, or maybe just keep hammering away at this one.