Thread: Lotsa nut blanks for low bucks

Default Lotsa nut blanks for low bucks

I have been making nuts - in my amateur way - for years, from this dog chew bone I got at a pet store for three bucks. Shown is the Rogue plastic nut I'll be replacing shortly. I haven't seen this suggestion posted elsewhere, so I hope this helps another amateur save a buck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nut blanks.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	861.6 KB 
ID:	167640

2. The following members say thank you to Tate Ferguson for this post:

Default Re: Lotsa nut blanks for low bucks

I remember an old thread where they talked about this. IIRC the thing to avoid is to buy a big leg bone from a butcher. The cleaning of the meat off it takes a lot of work and guts (sorry!). A nice clean on from a pet store should be better. The other problem is that sometimes the inner parts of a bone can be spongy and not as solid as the outer parts. I guess you can see that when you cut it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Adrian Minarovic

I've been making bone nuts and body points for years and never bought a blank as well. We ocassionally cook soup from beef and bone and whenever we buy beef I pick the package with nicest straight thick bone sections. After cooking I just scrape the meat off from inside and outside, wash it briefly and after the lunch I throw it into dishwasher together with the dishes. Out it comes ready to use....
    Adrian

5. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

A fellow that I know gets bones from a butcher shop and he throws them out in the back yard and lets the birds pick them clean, at least that is what he told me....I buy bone nut blanks myself....

Willie