Thread: Saga vs International Violin Build Kits

Default Saga vs International Violin Build Kits

Howdy,
    I am looking to do both an A5 and F5 builds from a kit. The eventual goal is to build from scratch, but I wanna get my feet wet first. Does anyone have an opinion on whether International Violin kits or Saga are preferable? I am aware of the Stew Mac F5 kit and the Arches kits and the higher quality both would offer. Thanks in advance.
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools

Default Re: Saga vs International Violin Build Kits

International Violin kits have good customer service. Saga kits could be bought from a variety of places, some might have good service, some not. The parts on these can be pretty poorly machined, and if it's to the point that you can't make it work, you might need a replacement. IV has historically been good about sending out replacement parts.

3. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Willem 

I am pretty sure I remember reading on an older thread here that the Saga and IV A style F hole kits are one and the same. But IV has their own source for the A style with no sound holes and the F style kits.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Willem 

I built a Saga A kit a few years ago and it was a great learning experience. The kit itself came with everything but instructions and I ended up posting them here, you could do a search and find them.

The tuners, strings, and tailpiece are not that great and the back in my kit was cut a bit short. For the cost I just sanded it and made do. I had fun learning about the mando (I didn’t play at the time) and I think with some set up work it could be a nice campfire mando, etc.

If your goal is to gain experience (get feet wet) then Saga is a nice option, then go for the IV kit for your second. If you don’t have a lot of woodworking experience or shop - or access to one - you’ll have to spend a bit to get even the basic tools.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

7. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Willem 

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    I built a Saga A kit a few years ago and it was a great learning experience. The kit itself came with everything but instructions and I ended up posting them here, you could do a search and find them.

The tuners, strings, and tailpiece are not that great and the back in my kit was cut a bit short. For the cost I just sanded it and made do. I had fun learning about the mando (I didn’t play at the time) and I think with some set up work it could be a nice campfire mando, etc.

If your goal is to gain experience (get feet wet) then Saga is a nice option, then go for the IV kit for your second. If you don’t have a lot of woodworking experience or shop - or access to one - you’ll have to spend a bit to get even the basic tools.
    Thanks all for the info! I do have some woodworking experience and a developing shop. I have most of what I need in power tools (band saw, drill press, sanders, etc.). I do lack in some of the luthier specific hand tools but have been piecing that stuff together over the last several months. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not the Saga and IV kits are one in the same, but haven't found anything definitive.
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1

The International Violin A kit is the Saga kit. The F is something he has picked up on his own. It might be a Saga product, who knows. The A kit is a known commodity. It's not a secret, it is a Saga kit. No mystery. Consider this definitive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IVKit.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	167623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SagaKit.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	167624  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Willem 

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The International Violin A kit is the Saga kit. The F is something he has picked up on his own. It might be a Saga product, who knows. The A kit is a known commodity. It's not a secret, it is a Saga kit. No mystery. Consider this definitive.
    Thanks, and I will consider this as definitive. I had looked at both of them and noticed the striking similarity which is what prompted me to do the bit of reading I did and, ultimately, start this thread.
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    Thanks all for the info! I do have some woodworking experience and a developing shop. I have most of what I need in power tools (band saw, drill press, sanders, etc.). I do lack in some of the luthier specific hand tools but have been piecing that stuff together over the last several months. I have read conflicting opinions on whether or not the Saga and IV kits are one in the same, but haven't found anything definitive.
    You should be fine, I built mine with a flat file and sandpaper. I did go to the local wood shop and took a safety class, I learned how to make spool clamps, used the band and jig saws, and that I really don’t like being anywhere near the table saw. If you haven’t already do a forum search, lots of us have built the kits and some have come out great.

When you start your build post a thread, the community here will jump in if you need any advice.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

13. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Willem