Thread: New here.....Suddenly really pumped about getting into the mando

Default New here.....Suddenly really pumped about getting into the mando

Hi folks......Just a little feedback from an "almost player" and some questions.
    First off,I am totally grateful for all the wonderful posts and threads from all you good folks.Really got me interested......My grandpa played,but I navigated to acoustic guitar(not so great,but I love it).....Anyhoo,two weeks ago my wife,daughter, grandson and myself were at a wonderful college folk festival.....I had been chasing my grandson around all day,so I needed a rest(while my daughter took him over to ride a pony....I sat under a shade tree where two real nice fella's were playing mando(one was playing an Ellis).

Sheesh,the sound was so darn intriguing that it has haunted me every day and suddenly I am really wanting a nice mando.I want to get it right on the first attempt(regards to buying...ha) so I've been doing as much research as possible.....It seems to come down to the Northfield F-5S,based on what i can pull off.....Not easily as I've just retired and got a nice Martin dread as a retirement present to myself.....Funds are needing to be watched closely and I could move out a guitar(I have a few) but I hate the thought of going that route...Love them all...ARGH!

I'll most likely be looking at the "Mando Lessons" site and a good instructional book,like those I've seen recommended here.

Can I use my standard BC tear drop picks? Just a question and if anyone has any advice,whatever,it would be appreciated....Much thanks,Mark

2. The following members say thank you to magictwanger for this post:

mee 

Default Re: New here.....Suddenly really pumped about getting into the ma

welcome to the mandolin and the cafe!

as for picks, you can certainly use the ones you already have. the shorter scale of the mandolin and the tension on the strings means that small things -- pick width, flexibility, profile -- and strings make a huge difference in the sound. So experiment! Most of us have favorite picks that we've found through just trying different things. and know that what you like now probably will change depending on what genre you play and what kind of sound you are looking for. Debates on picks -- like debates on strings -- are endless on here. you can do a search or wait a couple of days for the next pick/string discussion to surface.

Personally, i like a little jazz pick (I don't play bluegrass) and I have a very nice BC jazz pick for one of my mandolins and a very nice john pearse pick for another. and some of my extra mandolins use whatever guitar pick I've picked up free over the years. It's a great journey and it's all good.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Use the shoulder end of your BC pick and it should work out fine. Welcome to the world of mandolins!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

Hey welcome!

I'd say you were unlucky to have your first real listening experience be with an Ellis. Sets a pretty high standard for comparison purposes. But heck you are headed in that direction eventually anyway, so skip the Northfield, grab an Ellis, and play the heck out that thing. Saves you a lotta bucks on the intermediate steps.

Seriously, the Northfield gets some nice commentary here. Re picks, find the "travelling pick sampler" thread and put your name on the list. In a week or so, you'll receive a bunch of various size, shape, brand, etc, picks to test out, then send on to the next person on the list when done.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Welcome! Check out the classifieds here for some wonderful mandolin choices!

Welcome -- it's a terrific site for advice on playing, on equipment and as a resource for finding music/books to use. Regarding picks, I have tried many different shapes, thicknesses and find that I like triangular picks with rounded corners. If I want more clarity or precision in my picking I go to very thick picks with sharp points, but most of the time I use Golden Gate rounded triangle picks I picked up at Amazon.

Enjoy your new musical journey -- one word of caution: don't think of the mandolin as a guitar with fewer strings. I made that mistake at first and it wasn't until I slapped myself upside the head and sat down to learn it as a brand new instrument that I really made progress and really enjoyed it.

Second word of caution -- once you get proficient on the mandolin you may find that you're itching to try playing fiddle. My advice: go for it! Follow your musical muse wherever it leads.

Welcome to the cafe. I wouldn't be too afraid to let one of those extra guitars go toward the mandolin of your dreams. If you are anything like me, those guitars will see a lot less playing time once you are hooked on the mandolin. It can get quite addictive, especially if you are playing a nice one.

Mind you, the instruments are complimentary, its just that you will need quite a bit of playing time pulling the subtleties out of your new mandolin(s).........

Blog Entries

Welcome and if your like some of us fools you'll get rid of things you think you really like/love "instruments that is, well maybe a bad habit, another hobby etc..." And you'll be in the tonal pursuit of happiness! Starting off with a Northfield is pretty good-Nice mandolins. Mandolins are what puts the J in Joy, also the M in MAS! So beware! Hide the checkbook the credit cards and stop looking at the different dealer shops right now, the café adds on an hourly or daily basis-see then you wont need help!
    I've had loads of guitars and mandolins, they came and went and will pry keep doing so but I have kept my first nice guitar bought in 97 a 57 Adirondack topped D-18 and in 01 I got my 2nd mandolin I still have a 30's Gibson F-7 conversion. many came and went since but I scratch my head WHY-those 2 are the only needed! Its a funny thing. I blame beauty/different voices within each instrument!

You could do far worse than a Northfield F5S. They are very solid instruments. What they lack in fancy they provide in tone and playability. If you are so fortunate as to have some decent stringed instrument shops near you, you need to know what $3000 will buy you in an A style.

If a scroll is what you desire, and you can't try used instruments anywhere, get the Northfield. I can't imagine it being worth less than $2500 ever. All of them I've played have been great. At our age, we shouldn't be wasting years climbing the ladder. Start at the fifth rung and be happy.

I agree it was rude for an Ellis to be your introduction to the mandolin world.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I’ve played several Northfields, and they are a great mandolin. If you can, play a Pava A before you decide. The Pava is as well made and great sounding as much more expensive mandolins.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Much thanks to all! I'm the owner of quite a few really fine guitars and one will have to go,to finance a Mando....but...It kills me to make that decision and actually follow through with it...Argh!!

Hi magictwanger - allow me to agree with mee's post above, and suggest you check out the Café classifieds and buy used for your first mandolin - you will get more for your money, and if you decide later you want a different mandolin, you will not lose as much on the sale as you would with a new mandolin. I have never tried a Northfield, but they have a good reputation. And if you liked the Ellis, you may want to check out a Pava (also mentioned above) - they are made in Tom Ellis' shop, and are very good!
    I also agree with getting on the list for the Travelling Pick Sampler, many to try out. But if you already have Blue Chips, I use the TD 35 and TD 40 for both my mandolins and my guitars (I in general prefer thinner picks for both.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magictwanger View Post
    Can I use my standard BC tear drop picks? Just a question and if anyone has any advice,whatever,it would be appreciated....Much thanks,Mark
    Yep - use whatever pick you have until you find one you like better. My retirement present to myself last year was an Ellis. You'll be pleased with the Northfield I imagine.

My advice would be to understand the basic fundamentals of proper mandolin technique (right hand/left hand) early on - and how they differ to common techniques on guitar. A poor technique will work at slower speeds and let you think it's fine. Speed reveals so the sooner you get it sorted out the better.

Have fun - it's an addictive little bugger