Thread: Double Violin Case vs. Violin/Mandolin Case

Default Double Violin Case vs. Violin/Mandolin Case

Hello! Newbie here. I play fiddle and now trying the Mandolin world. So far...LOVING IT!!! Here's the question for today. I'm already tired of carrying two cases. Lazy, I know, but the facts are the facts. I've been looking at a Mandolin/fiddle case from Guitar Center, but some of the reviews say it is cheaply built. My violin case is an incredible and strong case, and I would love to order from the same people, but they only have a double fiddle case. Has anyone ever tried to put their Mando in a fiddle case? If yes, how'd it go?

Thank you everyone for your time!

Loar LM-520-VS / D'addario J73, Bronze, light

"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen
    "Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends." Alphonse de Lamartine https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/i...andosmiley.gif

Default Re: Double Violin Case vs. Violin/Mandolin Case

My guess is that it would be too narrow. Bobelock makes a double case for mandolin/violin, and their cases are very protective.

Oh thank you, Louise NM. I will look at that right now. Thank you for your advice!

"Music is the literature of the heart; it commences where speech ends." Alphonse de Lamartine https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/i...andosmiley.gif

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

+1 for the Bobelock mandolin fiddle case. I have been using one for about a decade... no problems so far. I will also say Guardian makes one for about 1/3 the cost of a Bobelock. I you are planning to use the double case all or most of the time get the Bobelock. If it is an occasional use planned then the Guardian will do just fine. Musicians Friend is selling them currently for 129.00$ and free shipping. Here is a new Bobelock Mando violin case for 319.00$ with free shipping.
    https://store.fisherviolins.com/Bobe...-p/bob1022.htm R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thank you, UsuallyPickin! It will be in use at least twice a week, so I think the Bobelock is for me. You've sold me on it and I will order before my head hits the pillow tonight. :-)

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

There is room for a shoulder rest between the fiddle body and mandolin headstock. I wrap my Bon Musica shoulder rest in a cloth. I have a few small dings in the finish of my mandolin from my fiddles tuning pegs coming into contact when putting in or pulling out an instrument from the case.... just sayin. These cases are set up with a three point backpack style hitch for longer term carrying. Play on! ... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I also have a Bon Musica shoulder rest! I believe those dings are merely the "stories" our instruments have to tell as they live on. They were meant to be used and loved. Never to be behind glass and protected. Play and ding on!!

One more question - if you could do it all over again, would you vote for two small lightweight cases OR this combination case? It seems 10 lbs as a case would get awful heavy during festivals. Now, having said that, I usually use a cart for those times because I'm also carrying other stuff as well.