Thread: Worth setting up a cheap mandolin?

Default Worth setting up a cheap mandolin?

I got my first mandolin for Chrismas--it's an Hola worth about $70, and it's serving my casual playing needs fine for now--I'm don't feel the need yet to spring for a more expensive one. But is it worth getting it set up? I can afford it and don't mind the cost, but mostly I'm wondering if I'll get laughed out of the shop for asking for setup on what I think is essentially a beginner mandolin. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Default Re: Worth setting up a cheap mandolin?

A set up instrument (I am days new to mandolins) allows you to play better. If your intent is to learn how to play better but have an instrument that does not have stellar sound you still get the benefit to technique. I build funky little guitars with wood that is not really up to par. I still get better at building (and the people I give them away to appreciate them).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to printer2 For This Useful Post:

I agree. A cheapo often needs a good setup even more than a fine instrument, to make it playable.

Any mandolin, no matter the price point, needs to play in tune and have action that is reasonably easy to finger. A setup will help this happen.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Absolutely, get a good set up. I currently own 7 playable mandolins, and they’re all set up decently, but the one I grab most often is the one that’s set up the best. It sounds better, plays better, inspires me to practice, etc. I’m in the process of setting up the others to match it...and, yes, I have a bit of a mandolin problem...
    Chuck

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

This is all very useful info, thank you! I'll have to look into it!

On a mandolin like that. I'd just get Rob Meldrum's free e book and have at it myself.

If you plan to invest your time, I'd suggest getting a better mandolin. A used Kentucky KM 150 or Eastman 305 will be a much better experience.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Definitely; totally agree with the comments above. I had a similar cost instrument and nearly gave up the mandolin until I did a set up. Rob’s book is excellent and really helped me get away from the fear of doing a set up myself.

A word of warning once you set it up you may find yourself wanting a nicer instrument, you may find your $70 mandolin is a gateway drug....

11. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

I set up an appointment with some local luthiers who seem pretty laid back and knowledgeable, and I'm looking forward to it! I could try to do it myself but I'd always be worried I did something wrong--plus going to a luthier seems like it'll be a cool experience.

And I'm fully expecting the $70 mandolin to be a gateway drug, haha, but I'm not letting myself buy a new one until I'm better at playing--it's a good motivator to practice!

If you want to play an instrument, regardless how cheap it is, a good set up is a distinct advantage to playing.
    I'm not familiar with Hola as a brand, but today's market has, at it's low end, instruments that come under the luthier's heading of GSO and MSO. Those are "guitar-shaped objects" and "mandolin-shaped objects". These things are designed and produced for one reason only, and that is to make money for the company. Being playable, durable, and workable were obviously never serious considerations, and frankly, some of them cannot be set up well because the design and manufacture are so poor.
    If your Hola falls into this category, hopefully your luthiers will tell you so and you can save your set-up money for the purchase of a better mandolin.

A luthier that is worth his salt will be honest with you about whether that mandolin is worth paying good money for a set up...I have to agree with Sunburst, try and find a better mandolin that comes with a complete set up if you can afford one right now, you will be a lot happier that way...People on here never seem to say where they are located and myself and some others would be willing to take a look at it if we just knew if you were close by....I have set up a few free of charge depending on how bad they were to start with...

Willie

Not to discourage the idea of a setup, but the cost of the setup might be close to the cost of the mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Not to discourage the idea of a setup, but the cost of the setup might be close to the cost of the mandolin.
    Certainly. But the bottom line is an $80 mandolin that is hard to play better than a $160 mandolin that plays well? It's pretty much a given at this price it will not sound great.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Start with Rob Meldrum's free e book. You will gain an appreciation and understanding of the basics of setting up a stringed instrument. This will pay off in spades when you decide to upgrade.
    I started with Rob's book and later progressed to leveling the fretboard and recrowning the frets. My modest mandolin plays beautifully, all the way down the fretboard now.
    I'm probably overdue for an upgrade myself, but I struggle with the thought of gigging an expensive mandolin. It can be a harsh environment and the audience generally isn't very discerning.
    I don't feel that this experience has made me any sort of luthier, but I certainly do feel comfortable assessing any mandolin I pick up.

It's always a difficult balance, when someone suggests they want to learn an instrument, never having played anything, I try to explain the importance of a good instrument. Usually the excuse for buying a cheap one is to see if they'll actually play. But the problem is that usually a cheap one won't stay in tune and/or doesn't sound appealing and discourages the person from learning. A set up might help somewhat but it would have been better to put the money into a better instrument.

A hard playing instrument will make a seasoned player not play well. A beginner will be hard pressed to even learn and get frustrated. All instruments should have a good setup. When I gave lessons if someone came for their lesson with a poor setup I would do it for free so they could learn. Hopefully your luthier is familiar with mandolins, as setting them up is quite different from guitar setup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

I started with a Mexican made Lone Star mandolin. It was UNPLAYABLE at first. It cost me about $100 and was worth the $50 I spent at the time to have the nut lowered and the action made playable. Thankfully the tuners held and the fretboard intonated reasonably well. I learned my first chords and songs on it. It was worth the investment. I gave that mandolin away. Some days I miss it even if only to have my first still with me. I hope the recipient of it got deeper into music because they had an instrument to start off with.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I started with a Mexican made Lone Star mandolin. I gave that mandolin away. Some days I miss it even if only to have my first still with me. I hope the recipient of it got deeper into music because they had an instrument to start off with.

Jamie
    I think in many cases people are too quick to get rid of their first "el cheapo" mandolin. If you like an instrument you've outgrown, you could consider keeping it to use as a travel/camping mandolin.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dery For This Useful Post:

Once in 1999 I was playing with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra and we were booked to play in Germany, France and Luxomberg and I brought my Ibanez 512 (or 513?. not my first mando but...) rosewood back an sides A style and very nice sounding, f hole mandolin. With the benefit of a good setup, any mandolin can be made to sound its best. Worked for me in Luxomberg etc.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL