Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collings history

Default Collings history

Is it true that Collings started building mandolins during the guitar downturn when synths ruled the pop music scene? That they needed the extra instrument output to keep their workers working?

If so, what an interesting course of events.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Collings history

I never heard that. But I did hear that they started making ukes to keep things going at some point. Someone correct me if that's way off.

Svea

According to the "Our Story" section of their website, they began making mandolins in 1999. That was not a particularly "Synth" period in music. It was not long before the "Brother, Where Art Thou?" era.

Well, Bill Collings began his Austin building days in the shop of Tom Ellis ! I believe that Tom mentored Bill in the early days and helped him get started and refine his craft ! Tom must have been a great teacher !

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Mort View Post
    According to the "Our Story" section of their website, they began making mandolins in 1999. That was not a particularly "Synth" period in music. It was not long before the "Brother, Where Art Thou?" era.
    Just as bands like Nickel Creek were emerging. Mandolin began to become more popular, and the choices were abysmal. The same for ukuleles (with Jake and Victoria Vox) although the uke scene seems to have cooled off a bit. Making used allowed Collings to use some nice wood they had or could buy that was too small to make guitars from.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

7. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

And in one of my interviews with him, Bill Collings told me he had made "dozens of dollars" building ukes.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mcgroup53 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Is it true that Collings started building mandolins during the guitar downturn when synths ruled the pop music scene? That they needed the extra instrument output to keep their workers working?

If so, what an interesting course of events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Svea View Post
    ... But I did hear that they started making ukes to keep things going at some point. Someone correct me if that's way off.

Svea
    No. And no.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Amazingly enough ukes saved the CF Martin Company back in the early 1900's. I'm assuming that's where that came from. Bill seemed to build what interested him (and that apparently wasn't just musical instruments). I don't think he really cared much about what else was happening. We should all live our lives that well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/b...d-guitars.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Bill made more than 50 concert-sized ukuleles before putting them into production. The man was relentless in pursuit of making quality and well made instruments, and the company is determined to continue that process.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Yes, I was thinking of Martin's uke story!

Svea

Blog Entries

See volume 1 issue 3 of the Fretboard Journal.

18. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Considering Bill's standards and the quality with which they do anything they do, that rumor sounds insulting to me, and should not be repeated.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I wonder what happened to all the prototype instruments (mandolins, ukes, etc) that were made before the finished products hit the stores? Would be neat to see how they progressed, etc.

The prototypes were sold through their dealers.

22. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I have some questions for the Collings “experts” here. 1. What is the date of the first Collings mandolin? 2. What were the first mandolins called (MT, MT1) or ? 3. If anyone here has a prototype or an very early production one, will you please post some pictures?
    Thanks

Short?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    I wonder what happened to all the prototype instruments (mandolins, ukes, etc) that were made before the finished products hit the stores? Would be neat to see how they progressed, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    If anyone here has a prototype or an very early production one, will you please post some pictures?
    This is a fascinating concept, it would be interesting to see prototype instruments that didn't make it to retail outlets.

I met a guy at the Pearl Texas bluegrass jam two years ago who was playing an Ellis, I asked him about it and he let me play it - a well-worn, great sounding instrument. He said that Tom had pulled it out of a closet and given it to him when he needed a mandolin. It was a prototype instrument and one of several that Tom had kept at home and used, evidently. I got to play that instrument, but didn't get a photo and don't remember the guy's name. He told me that he had been Sarah Jarosz' music teacher when she was a child. Just a good old musician from the Austin area.

When you think about it, many of the really good luthiers are bound to have good instruments lying around that for one reason or another they felt were not suitable for the market. There are probably quite a few out there that are serviceable instruments with a quirky history. If anyone has a Collings with a "special" story, would be great to hear it and see it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I can see where someone striving for a signature tone would not want a bunch of development prototypes out in the world. Someone would play one thinking that was the tone of the final product.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Br1ck,
    My thoughts exactly. Makes me wonder if the early efforts don’t often get destroyed or at least not labeled.

Things I know about Collings mandolins.
    They brought in Mike Kemnitzer as a consultant to help get the details right. Mike said after that experience he had to get one of those CNC machines.
    The first year or two of the A models up to about the time the F's were rolled out had the tonebars reversed from what is normal due to a mis-reading of the print. Were you looking at the print from the back or from the top?

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    Things I know about Collings mandolins.
    They brought in Mike Kemnitzer as a consultant to help get the details right. Mike said after that experience he had to get one of those CNC machines.
    The first year or two of the A models up to about the time the F's were rolled out had the tonebars reversed from what is normal due to a mis-reading of the print. Were you looking at the print from the back or from the top?
    I owned #15 for a while and I was told that the tone bars were reversed. Is there an easy way to tell if they are installed correctly, or reversed? How do reversed bars affect tone?

Will Kimble spent a lot of time with Bill Collings developing their mandolin line.

The bass bar would be closer to the bass f-hole. When I look in the bass side f-hole on mine I can barely see the bar but not on the treble. Or you can stick your finger in your f-hole.

33. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Will Kimble spent a lot of time with Bill Collings developing their mandolin line.
    What did he contribute? When in the timeline was he involved?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    What did he contribute? When in the timeline was he involved?
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=1#post1296914
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

36. The following members say thank you to ColdBeerGoCubs for this post: