Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Gibson Sam Bush model

  1. #1
    Registered User mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Shenandoah
    Posts
    257

    Default Gibson Sam Bush model

    I love the looks of the Sam Bush model, and I see a couple used one's for sale lately for what seems a good price. I've been looking at them new for 10,999, but can't justify that kind of money for it. I love the block inlays on the fret board. Anyways sound is most important and I have never seen or heard one in person. So I figure I'd ask my cafe friends their opinions on this model for bluegrass style and if there are better sounding models out there for the money, let's say between 5000-10,000?

  2. #2
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.1646 N, 74.2083 W
    Posts
    24,136

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    If you can do without the fretboard and back binding they made an F5G model that had the same block inlays and nut width. They come up for sale now and again.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  3. #3
    Registered User Charles E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saint Augustine Beach FL
    Posts
    4,930

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    There is one in the classifieds right now....

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/124014#124014

    The Mandolin Store is well regarded here.

    NFI
    Charley

    A bunch of stuff with four strings

  4. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

    mee 

  5. #4

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    There's also this newer one and it's a Dave Harvey one...

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123964#123964

  6. The following members say thank you to Dacraw54 for this post:

    mee 

  7. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glacier, WA
    Posts
    38

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Check out the new Jacob Jolliff album and you will hear the Gibson Sam Bush in all of it's glory!

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd.panko For This Useful Post:

    BradKleinmee 

  9. #6
    Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA
    Posts
    3,837

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Cafe member Jordan Ramsey has a legendary tone monster Gibson F5 Sam Bush model, as does Jesse Brock.

    Though the SB retails at over $10K, the depreciation is as bad as a new car, with used ones in excellent condition usually going for $5-$5.5K...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L made by Bruce Weber's team


    "Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Registered User Ivan Kelsall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Manchester - Lancashire - NW England
    Posts
    14,187

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    The one that's refered to in post #3,works out to around 4,450 UK. If i could find on over here at that price = gone in 60 seconds !!! (if i could trade one of mine in ),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

  12. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:


  13. #8
    My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    3,144

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    (if i could trade one of mine in )
    Ah, but which one would you trade, Ivan?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5
    2018 Vessel TM5

  14. #9
    Fatally Flawed Bill Kammerzell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,594

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Dacraw54 View Post
    There's also this newer one and it's a Dave Harvey one...

    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123964#123964
    Being unfamiliar with the nuances, I'm curious how you know it's newer than the 2001 model? I don't see a build date in the description of this one.
    Hinde #MF-7 (2009-10)
    Rag "F" style #40 (2018)
    Eastman MD805 (2014)

    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

    "Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

  15. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    443

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Being unfamiliar with the nuances, I'm curious how you know it's newer than the 2001 model? I don't see a build date in the description of this one.
    I don't think Dave Harvey signed them in 2001, more likely was Danny Roberts. Dave Harvey didn't sign until later, maybe starting around 2007.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The one at TMS is tempting.

    I regret selling my 2001 Sam Bush mandolin.

  16. #11
    Registered User Tom C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Warwick, NY
    Posts
    3,944

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    I've always thought they were the most consistent and loudest of the Gibson family. Note that they do have a wider fret board if you are OK with that..

  17. The following members say thank you to Tom C for this post:

    mee 

  18. #12

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Being unfamiliar with the nuances, I'm curious how you know it's newer than the 2001 model? I don't see a build date in the description of this one.
    It's a late 2007 build.

  19. #13

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    I don't think Dave Harvey signed them in 2001, more likely was Danny Roberts. Dave Harvey didn't sign until later, maybe starting around 2007.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The one at TMS is tempting.

    I regret selling my 2001 Sam Bush mandolin.
    That 2001 one is unsigned, but that's in the Danny Roberts era.

  20. #14
    Fatally Flawed Bill Kammerzell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,594

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    I don't think Dave Harvey signed them in 2001, more likely was Danny Roberts. Dave Harvey didn't sign until later, maybe starting around 2007.

    - - - Updated - - -

    The one at TMS is tempting.

    I regret selling my 2001 Sam Bush mandolin.
    Got it. I was looking it up and one article at a Bluegrass Magazine said Harvey started at Gibson around 2008. Makes sense.
    Hinde #MF-7 (2009-10)
    Rag "F" style #40 (2018)
    Eastman MD805 (2014)

    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

    "Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

  21. #15
    Fatally Flawed Bill Kammerzell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,594

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    I've always thought they were the most consistent and loudest of the Gibson family. Note that they do have a wider fret board if you are OK with that..
    I love the wider board and also the radius board. I don't have the 5K plus to spare.
    Hinde #MF-7 (2009-10)
    Rag "F" style #40 (2018)
    Eastman MD805 (2014)

    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

    "Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

  22. #16
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.1646 N, 74.2083 W
    Posts
    24,136

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Got it. I was looking it up and one article at a Bluegrass Magazine said Harvey started at Gibson around 2008. Makes sense.
    According to this list he was signing in 2007.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:


  24. #17

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    So Danny Roberts AND Charlie Derrington were signing F5's in the same years - 2001 - 2005? Were they both building them?

  25. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    4,922

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    The Sam Bush model is a great mandolin and they are usually quite reasonably priced in the used market. I have a 2004 and I love it.

    By the way, Dave Harvey worked for me in repair and restoration for several years before moving to mandolin construction. I’ve known Dave for about 25 years. He is a great mandolin player and knows his mandolins. Whether you choose one from his era or the Charlie era, you are likely to get a great mandolin. There are some other builders making great mandolins too, but nearly any Gibson mandolin made since about 2000 is going to be a great mandolin.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

  26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.1646 N, 74.2083 W
    Posts
    24,136

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Dacraw54 View Post
    So Danny Roberts AND Charlie Derrington were signing F5's in the same years - 2001 - 2005? Were they both building them?
    Not sure but I'll note that Lloyd Loar wasn't building mandolins and he apparently signed them.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  28. #20
    Moderator MikeEdgerton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    40.1646 N, 74.2083 W
    Posts
    24,136

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    The Sam Bush model is a great mandolin and they are usually quite reasonably priced in the used market. I have a 2004 and I love it.

    By the way, Dave Harvey worked for me in repair and restoration for several years before moving to mandolin construction. I’ve known Dave for about 25 years. He is a great mandolin player and knows his mandolins. Whether you choose one from his era or the Charlie era, you are likely to get a great mandolin. There are some other builders making great mandolins too, but nearly any Gibson mandolin made since about 2000 is going to be a great mandolin.
    It's always good to see you Joe.
    "Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them". These are the words of J. Garber.

  29. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:


  30. #21
    Registered User Ivan Kelsall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Manchester - Lancashire - NW England
    Posts
    14,187

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    From pheffernan - " Ah, but which one would you trade, Ivan ? " - It would have to be my Weber "Fern". It's the one that i could get most cash from. Apart from the fact that i'll never sell my Lebeda anyway. Over here,mandolins take a while to sell unless they happen to be a rare breed instrument ie. a Dudenbostel or Nugget,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

  31. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:


  32. #22
    Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA
    Posts
    3,837

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    ...There are some other builders making great mandolins too, but nearly any Gibson mandolin made since about 2000 is going to be a great mandolin.
    I would also add Brotha Joe that there are several Bozeman made Gibsons, though built with a different methodology, that are excellent mandolins as well!
    1994 Gibson F5L made by Bruce Weber's team


    "Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

  33. #23
    Registered User mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Shenandoah
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Dave Harvey was there for my 2008 F9, it's awesome for sure, crazy I'm even wanting another Gibson mandolin I don't need. It's not like I'm a great player but it's a priority over jewelry, make-up, clothing, food....I think I could even sell my house and live in a trailer. Just spent a wonderful weekend camping and picking with hubby.

  34. #24
    NY Naturalist BradKlein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lehigh Valley - Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    I've always thought they were the most consistent and loudest of the Gibson family. Note that they do have a wider fret board if you are OK with that..
    When I was mandolin shopping more intently in NYC 2006/2009 - I also found that the SB model was the loudest and most consistent of the Gibsons, and I'd say that I played 3 or 4. The Master Models of the day, I found to vary a lot tonally, and I played about 4-5 - some I liked as much as DMMs of the era, and some I liked a lot less. The DMMs/Ricky Skaggs models, I also found to be very consistent (and different than the SBs). I played about the same number of those.

    As for the differences between the best Sam Bush and the 'best' DMMs I played in those days, that came down to personal taste, I suppose and plenty of players would pick one over the other just based on their idea of what they liked best. I personally preferred the best of the DMMs over any others I played for what seemed to me, a 'classic' bluegrass or Loar-era sound.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox
    Twangbox Videos

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

    Glasswebmee 

  36. #25

    Default Re: Gibson Sam Bush model

    Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    When I was mandolin shopping more intently in NYC 2006/2009 - I also found that the SB model was the loudest and most consistent of the Gibsons, and I'd say that I played 3 or 4. The Master Models of the day, I found to vary a lot tonally, and I played about 4-5 - some I liked as much as DMMs of the era, and some I liked a lot less. The DMMs/Ricky Skaggs models, I also found to be very consistent (and different than the SBs). I played about the same number of those.

    As for the differences between the best Sam Bush and the 'best' DMMs I played in those days, that came down to personal taste, I suppose and plenty of players would pick one over the other just based on their idea of what they liked best. I personally preferred the best of the DMMs over any others I played for what seemed to me, a 'classic' bluegrass or Loar-era sound.
    Any idea what used DMM's sell for?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •