Thread: 'Free Monthly Lesson' - New website launched today

Default 'Free Monthly Lesson' - New website launched today

Hello

My name's Mike and I'm a mandolin player based in the UK, I've just launched a brand new 'Subscription-Free' website for people wanting to improve their mandolin playing under my nickname 'Mando Mike': www.mandomike.com.

The website centres around a 'Free Monthly Lesson' that it is completely subscription-free to everyone and anyone who wants it and each lesson is in three standards so that there should be something for everyone (hopefully ). I've made it this way so if you've had a busy month or already know the tune I send out, you can just delete it and no harm is done ... you haven't paid anything and maybe the next month's lesson will be right up your street! You can also personalise your interaction with me as an online teacher via the shop section of the website (skype lessons, DIY lessons etc etc).

I've just launched the first ever 'Free Monthly Lesson' which looks at Black-Eyed Suzie for beginners and 'Frank's Reel' with interesting variations for intermediate and advanced players...
    The lesson is up on this page: https://www.mandomike.com/free-monthly-lesson
    And here's a little preview video:

This is a completely new venture to me as I love teaching and sharing the knowledge I've built up over the last 15 years of playing these 8 strings ... but have found willing students in the North West of the UK hard to come by So, hopefully by opening my geographic area to 'The Rest of the World', I might pick up a few more willing students.

Thanks for reading this, I hope this venture will be useful to some of you fine folks on here. If you want to know a bit more about me and my playing, that's all included on the website.

Any questions/problems/suggestions let me know. This is new to me too so I'm all ears
    (Mando) Mike

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to giverin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 'Free Monthly Lesson' - New website launched today

Sounds great. Just one question: how much do the lessons cost?

Seriously though, the videos and lessons look great. Looks like you have really done your homework. I'll be partaking each month.

4. The following members say thank you to vetus scotia for this post:

I've just realized who you are! I have watched this video so many times. What a fantastic version of Big Sciota.

https://youtu.be/PSTr7jwrm0c

6. The following members say thank you to vetus scotia for this post:

Blog Entries

I have watched that Big Sciota video quite a few times myself. Enjoyed it.

By the way, I had trouble finding the actual lessons. Then I discovered the secret link. When you click on the link to Mike's page (https://www.mandomike.com/free-monthly-lesson), you get to his lessons page. If you then click on the video image above "Lesson #1", it just replays the preview video again. The trick is to click right on the text "Lesson #1" - right in the area I circled in red on the attached screenshot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lesson.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	167378

I plan to subscribe.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Nice one, good luck Mike. I like the idea of getting people together on the same tune and with different levels.
    I was wondering about the schools and mandolin for kids. It seems to be a lot of ukulele at the moment even though the mandolin has a lot of advantages, tuned in fifths, melodic, classical and folk etc. And there are really cheap, reasonable quality mandos on the market at the moment. Maybe it could be tuned down a tone to be easier for kids, and with a guitar tone/feel to it? I don't know, I imagine there's already been a lot of debate about -after all there are 60+ million people in the UK. Maybe there are larger political and social issues.

I had not realised it was so tricky to find the right link. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll see if I can make it a bit easier Cheers, Mike

Nice work, Mike!

I like it, worked on Frank's reel tonight.

Checked your subscribe area, I can't enter any information using my kindle....

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    I like it, worked on Frank's reel tonight.

Checked your subscribe area, I can't enter any information using my kindle....
    Thanks for the info, didn't know that wasn't working on a kindle, I'll see if I can fix it.
    Cheers
    Mike

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

You're sounding good Mike. Good luck with your lesson endeavor.

Now the important question: what mandolin are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    You're sounding good Mike. Good luck with your lesson endeavor.

Now the important question: what mandolin are you playing?

Thanks Brian ... it's a Kristufek mandolin (sometimes called Krishot in the US), made in the Czech Republic, it's got a rather unusual solid mahogany back. Some amazing mandolins being made there by a few different builders.

Hi Mike, I’ll check the site out. I too have watched that Big Sciota video a few times - what a fun video it is and I love all of the playing, your mandolin sounds great.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by giverin View Post
    ... but have found willing students in the North West of the UK hard to come by
    I could say the same about teachers.
    That said, having had a look over your site I find that I may need to do some budgetting and see if we can work out some lesson times.

Lets hope this doesnt slow down the Jaywalkers album releases

Absolutely not! Heading into the studio next month with them

June's 'Free Monthly Lesson' is now live on http://www.mandomike.com/free-monthl...sson-2-june-18

- Chords in 'A' for beginners
    - Shove that pigs foot a little farther in the fire for intermediate
    and
    - Learning tunes in 'closed position' for advanced players

Hope you enjoy
    Mike