Thread: Looking for replacement bridge for regal tenor...

Default Looking for replacement bridge for regal tenor...

Any ideas on where I can find something that works? Should I stick with a floating bridge or have one glued down?

Thanks in advance.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Looking for replacement bridge for regal tenor...

What style of bridge does it have now, is it an adjustable one?
    If you are a practical person then it is not that difficult to make your own floating bridge, personally I would not be gluing anything down.

I just bought this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 12.00.27 PM.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	167445 guitar with no bridge. I believe it has a 23" scale length. It must have had a floating bridge previously but there is no way of copying its dimensions. I'm a pretty handy guy but I'm not sure where to start so any advice there would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd like to tune it to CGDA (or maybe BflatFCG). I'm not sure what strings I need given the extra length needed to reach the tailpiece.

Cheers

It is a 21" scale. Normally tuned to CGDA. I use D'Addario J66 and like them fine in that tuning.

You can easily make your own bridge, the trick is getting the correct string height and then getting the intonation correct. PM me if you'd like a dimensioned sketch of the bridge.

Is the neck straight?
    What are the back and side materials on that one?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Yes really easy to make a basic bridge, I used an old ebony piano key to make the one on my Regal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	167447  

Dadster, Is that the SS Stewart I recently didn't win? I already have one so dropped out of the action pretty early. I really like mine. Great tone and comfy!

I used a ready made noncompensated bridge with saddle and it worked out great. It was actually for archtop but shaving it down to correct height flattened the bottom. Intonation is fine.

@AndyV - yes it is. I'm going to try to build a bridge for it. I'll post photos when I'm done. Do you tune your tenor CGDA and if so what guages do you use?

Yes CGDA. (I would have justified buying the SSS by tuning one DGBE.) I think it's currently got D'Ad's, 32, 22, 14, 10 - bronze. Sounded good with nickel wound too.
    I've had occasional trouble with the A string popping on other tenors and had to go with .009, but never on the Regal.

Are you familiar with the original bridge and do you want to replicate it?

A simple banjo bridge is what I use on the tenor guitar I built, and it sounds good. That would be a really quick solution - you could play it, work out what height you want in the replacement by shaving the feet of your banjo bridge, and also develop a view about how heavy a bridge might work best (generally, heavier = more sustain, lighter = faster attack). Very cheap too.

Your tailpiece suggests a floating bridge, and I doubt there had ever been a glued down bridge as I can't see the shadow where it would have been glued. A fixed bridge will pull up the top and raise the action, a floating bridge will press it down and lower the action. If it was built for floating, I'd stick to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfChris View Post
    A simple banjo bridge is what I use on the tenor guitar I built, and it sounds good. That would be a really quick solution - you could play it, work out what height you want in the replacement by shaving the feet of your banjo bridge, and also develop a view about how heavy a bridge might work best (generally, heavier = more sustain, lighter = faster attack). Very cheap too.

Your tailpiece suggests a floating bridge, and I doubt there had ever been a glued down bridge as I can't see the shadow where it would have been glued. A fixed bridge will pull up the top and raise the action, a floating bridge will press it down and lower the action. If it was built for floating, I'd stick to that.
    I think dadster was asking about gluing a floating bridge in place.
    Maybe my mind goes there because of a Regal mando I bought recently that a previous owner did that to. Excellent condition except for that, and of course the intonation is a little off.

dadster,

I posted in CBOM asking for dimensions of a K1 several days ago and still no reply. Posted in Builders and Repair and got all the info I need in a few hours.

Sorry I didn't this to mention this earlier.