Thread: Apollonio Bell 'zouk

Blog Entries

Default Apollonio Bell 'zouk

Hello all,
    Been awhile since I've posted here, but you know, sometimes life gets in the way of other things. I gave up my aspirations of being a luthier after having my landlord bust me trying to sneak a bandsaw into my 3rd floor apartment -- it was a fun diversion for awhile though!
    I saved and scrimped for another instrument from Nikos Apollonio; this time a bell bodied 'zouk, red cedar top, ipe sides/back, and a mahogany neck - I opted for a K&K twin spot pickup as well. She should be in my hot hands by Friday and I'm very excited.
    Here's a pic of her with her twin 12 string 'sister' before getting fully assembled:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell 8& 12.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	782.9 KB 
ID:	167249

I look forward to playing again and being a more present member of the CBOM forum.

Cheers!
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

2. The following members say thank you to Rob Zamites for this post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Apollonio Bell 'zouk

Cool instrument. Let us hear it when you get it.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

4. The following members say thank you to billhay4 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    Hello all,
    Been awhile since I've posted here, but you know, sometimes life gets in the way of other things. I gave up my aspirations of being a luthier after having my landlord bust me trying to sneak a bandsaw into my 3rd floor apartment -- it was a fun diversion for awhile though!
    I saved and scrimped for another instrument from Nikos Apollonio; this time a bell bodied 'zouk, red cedar top, ipe sides/back, and a mahogany neck - I opted for a K&K twin spot pickup as well. She should be in my hot hands by Friday and I'm very excited.
    Here's a pic of her with her twin 12 string 'sister' before getting fully assembled:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bell 8& 12.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	782.9 KB 
ID:	167249

I look forward to playing again and being a more present member of the CBOM forum.

Cheers!
    How's it sounding Rob

Just picked up an Apollonio "traditional" Irish -- onion shaped -- 24" scale Zouk. I love this thing. It's an easy playing, fantastic sounding instrument. I've had a few octaves in my life, but this is much more to my liking. I guess I'm just a droner at heart. Right now, tuning it as ADAD in unison.

I was looking for an affordable instrument with a large body, as opposed to some of the thin body instruments readily available. I got what I wanted -- 14.5" across and 3.5" deep. Cedar top and Mahogany back and sides. There is nothing really fancy about it, but it is nice enough looking. I was looking for playability, sound, and musicality with this one. It meets those requirements completely. The intonation is perfect, better than any instrument I have ever had.

Very happy with it. Thanks to Nick Apollonio. While this one is rather simple, Nick has made some stunning lookers with inlays, etc.

Is this the one Nick just sold? Any pics /video please?

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Is this the one Nick just sold? Any pics /video please?
    Yes. I've had it exactly a week. I will try to at least get some photos.

Here is a link to Nick's photo on Bouzouki forum. Mine is on the left. There is a video he made of both of those somewhere.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Rob? ?