Thread: Holey Galahad

Default Holey Galahad

Just tried one out. Nice tool.

Default Re: Holey Galahad

What the heck is a Holey Galahad??????? Need more info.

Blog Entries

Looks like a grinder blade with big holes in it so you can see your work.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Great tool for rough shaping. A little scary though, I always wear heavy leather gloves when using it. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/h...blue-7-8-arbor

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    What the heck is a Holey Galahad??????? Need more info.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMw25V69t8E

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mendel View Post
    Great tool for rough shaping. A little scary though, I always wear heavy leather gloves when using it. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/h...blue-7-8-arbor
    Yep. If you slip you are going to loose some serious meat.

Kinda pricey but I may have to indulge some day

Clint, it is worth the price. I saw a live demo of it before I bought mine, other wise I may not have paid the price. I've been using mine for several years now and it still cuts as well as it did the first time I used it.

9. The following members say thank you to Joe Mendel for this post:

Yes extremely dangerous... extremely dangerous. Not sure I'd wear gloves either, that'll grab and maybe break fingers. Better to just give up some flesh to the Galahad.

11. The following members say thank you to fscotte for this post:

I use mine in an angle grinder, one hand on each handle, and a firm grip. It has never gotten away from me, nor grabbed, it cuts very smoothly. I use it like an artist's paintbrush, very gentle strokes, and small bites. It works very well like that. I've never tried to dig in with it nor will I ever, at least not on purpose. My hands really are not close to the business end of it. A broken finger, or two, would be much preferable to grinding half your hand away with it, which could happen fast. I'm sure it would eat bone quickly. A firm grasp and, as with all power tools, a little care go a long way to keeping all parts attached.

Spectacularly powerful tool, and terrifying. I believe the outcome of a longish discussion on safety with these was that gloves are a negative. This machine turns wood to dust at an unbelievable pace, so gloves aren't going to be any protection, but could get snagged and create an accident. I use mine for rough carving plates, and only for as long as I feel completely focused on what I'm doing.

That said, it has taken rough-carving a back from two days to 30 minutes for me.

After watching the vids, I wish I would’ve invested in the Holey Galahad instead of this thing now. It still helps with rough carving but looks like the Holey Galahad would’ve been better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5F74238-4823-4CBE-A1C0-1BBF59B11FA7.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	167255

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mendel View Post
    I use mine in an angle grinder, one hand on each handle, and a firm grip. It has never gotten away from me, nor grabbed, it cuts very smoothly. I use it like an artist's paintbrush, very gentle strokes, and small bites. It works very well like that. I've never tried to dig in with it nor will I ever, at least not on purpose. My hands really are not close to the business end of it. A broken finger, or two, would be much preferable to grinding half your hand away with it, which could happen fast. I'm sure it would eat bone quickly. A firm grasp and, as with all power tools, a little care go a long way to keeping all parts attached.
    Exactly how I use mine, but no gloves. I don't feel I'm in any particular peril as long as I have both hands in the proper places on the angle grinder. I also use mine with a momentary foot switch so my hands don't have to shift to switch off and on. The switch can be pulsed for very fine control of the grinder, almost a variable speed function.

It's a great tool if used properly. I use mine for contouring arch top plates and the occasional chair seat.
    rudy44

16. The following members say thank you to rudy44 for this post:

For me, it's the Kutzall spiky donut, fine grade. Very fast removal and the curved surface means you can get quite close to final contours on the recurve and inside hollowing. Takes a steady hand and practice at using sweeping arching arm strokes. Downside- Lot's of fine dust. I do it outside on a workmate with lung and eye protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    For me, it's the Kutzall spiky donut, fine grade. Very fast removal and the curved surface means you can get quite close to final contours on the recurve and inside hollowing. Takes a steady hand and practice at using sweeping arching arm strokes. Downside- Lot's of fine dust. I do it outside on a workmate with lung and eye protection.
    Very similar to the Holy Galahad. I also looked at the Kutzall and decided to go with the Holey Galahad because of the unique ability to actually see the material as it's being worked. I think I could get used to either with a little practice.

These things are very popular with folks who make various types of contoured and free-form furniture.
    rudy44