Thread: Upgrade Eastman 305 to Kentucky KM-950

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Upgrade Eastman 305 to Kentucky KM-950

Any opinions? I have previously owned only one Kentucky. It was an early model f style with a laminate top. It actually sounded fair but I hated the flat fret board.
    I like my 305, and think of 305's as the best value in a low priced mandolin or perhaps I just got a "good one".
    So, is the Km 950 a suitable upgrade?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: Upgrade Eastman 305 to Kentucky KM-950

I've never owned a Kentucky, so I can't comment on those, but I would recommend looking at a Collings MT. I upgraded from an Eastman MD 305 to a Collings MT, and I couldn't be happier. The feel of the neck and the radiused fretboard are similar between the two instruments, which made it an easy adjustment for me. I loved my Eastman and it certainly sounded good, but my Collings is light years ahead in tone and quality.

Edit: I see in your signature that you already have a Collings MT, so obviously you can disregard my reply!

Simple answer is Yes. If you got a 1 in a 1000 305 that is exceptional and compare it to a below average 950? My first mandolin was a 305 and it was a very nice starter mandolin, I upgraded to a Kentucky 1050 that was very good and it was a whole different level. It had power, a sweetness, chop, loud but you could play it softly. I took lessons for a short while from a great player with several mandolin related instruments including a Gilchrist F5 and he could not believe the sound from that 1050. I had a 950 that was very good but not quite up to the 1050 and a 900 that just did not speak to me. A 950 will have larger frets, a wider nut and a thicker neck. There is a used 950 in the classifieds that has a Cumberland bridge (my 1050 did as well) and James tailpiece. If it is a good one I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value.

4. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

I have owned two Ky.KM-900 series mandolins, the first one was a KM-900 and I was at a jam session one night and a lady had a Collings MT with her so we compared the two, she said she was going to sell the Collings and buy a Kentucky KM-900 she liked the KM-900 that much...The 900 does have small frets and is a flat fingerboard, the 950 and 956 have larger frets and a radius fingerboard, the 956 being a darker color also...I now only have the KM-956 and it is as good as a mandolin can be in my opinion...I am not familiar with the Eastmans that are being made lately but early on they weren`t my cup of tea after I played 12 of them at a festival...For the money I don`t think you can go wrong buying a Kentucky mandolin above the 900 series...Try as many as you can...

Willie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willie Poole For This Useful Post:

The Master Kentuckys are the only viable upgrade I've played between the lower level Kentuckys and the small shop builders. When I was at The Mandolin Store, I didn't feel Eastman's higher end mandolins were as good as the 900 and above Kentuckys.

But I came away thinking that spending the money for a Northfield would be money well spent, though that was a lot of money.

But if I owned an MT, I would not be looking to add a Kentucky.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I once asked in a post about upgrading my 305 to a Kentucky 606. If my memory is correct I think Robert Fear (who's opinion I respect) recommended a 900 series Kentucky, but definitely not the 606.
    Kentucky KM-950

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    There is a used 950 in the classifieds that has a Cumberland bridge (my 1050 did as well) and James tailpiece. If it is a good one I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value.
    Well, I pulled the trigger on this one. And, now, I wait for it's arrival. So if it speaks to me, my 305 will be in te classifieds. Hate to see it go but as they say, "I will need to thin the herd".
    Kentucky KM-950

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

I don't think you'll be disappointed. The 950 is a serious mandolin.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric C. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Bill, I love all Kentucky's but IMHO their master models are pro level instruments. I haven't owned a 950 but I did have a 1000 and it was excellent fit and finish, playability and tone. 'Course you got the good one with the radiused board! Congrats! That should complement your Collings, et al.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

15. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

I've had my KM 956 for almost a year and I'm very satisfied! It was the best "bluegrass" mandolin (f holes, tone bar bracing) that I could afford. The quality is equal to or better than my '99 Weber. It has a very thin finish which really helps the volume. It sounds great thru a condenser mic on stage. I've settled on Curt Mangan medium gauge Monel strings as the string I like best, but that isn't surprise since I use the same strings on my Weber and Gibson A2.

17. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Well it arrived today. An upgrade from my Eastman 305 and a very different tone than my Collings. To my ears it seems to be more of a Bluegrass machine. I guess I will have to learn a few more Bluegrass tunes to add to the 3 or 4 I know.
    I wanted to learn a few more grass tunes anyways before I attend the BACK HOME FEST late June in West Virginia.
    Pick-N and grinnin all day today.
    Kentucky KM-950

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pittsburgh Bill For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

That festival is the best place to take that awesome 950, a blue grass machine!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"