Thread: Mandocello shopping

Default Mandocello shopping

I'm shopping for a mandocello, but I can't find one in the entire state of Arkansas to actually lay my hands on and play.

I like the look of the Eastman Mandocello, the price is right, and there's an Eastman dealer about 1.5 hours from here, but no floor model, and I don't feel comfortable plunking down the money to order one until I at least hear an F-hole and Oval-hole sound comparison. I looked on the Eastman website and YouTube but no luck. I contacted Eastman via Facebook and they couldn't help me either.

If anybody could find me a link to a video or audio comparison, I would appreciate it. I am interested in any other feedback about mandocellos in general!

Quick background: I took up cello to play classical music, folk music and hymns with my wife. In pursuit of that goal, I have been taking cello lessons, but it is already causing me severe right shoulder pain that is not going away after a month of total rest, and it looks will have to put down the bow, for a long while at least. Meanwhile, I don't want to lose what I've learned about scales and reading bass clef. I already play the mandolin a bit (I would rate myself as beginner to intermediate). So the mandocello seems like the way to go.

Default Re: Mandocello shopping

What's your price range? I have a Weber Bitterroot Mandocello that I'm thinking about selling. Haven't posted on the classified yet - but probably will soon.
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Do a search for Eastman Mandocello.

I posted this in 2015 from one I had for a while:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am one of those who has an Eastman in possession (lent to me to see if I want to play as a prospective mandocellist). I have no complaints for the tone at all. I never thought it sounded too boomy. Aren't mandocelli supposed to sound boomy, anyway? I would experiment with different string gauges and brands to see what sounded the best.

My main beef was the spacing of the lower strings pairs. I have average (not super beefy) fingers but the spacing was too wide. Even just partway up the fretboard I woul find the strings would spread apart -- very difficult to fret them both together. I have heard quite a few other owners have to change the nuts and bridge spacing. The neck is not over fat depth wise but is a pretty standard guitar width. This is, after all, an archtop guitar factory-converted to a mandocello.

BTW I do own a nice 1937 Gibson K-1 that needs to some neck work, so I am somewhat familiar with what a mandocello should feel like and and how it is optimally set up. The string spacing is about right on the Gibson.

I think the Eastman is a nice instrument with those above caveats. OTOH given the two choices in the classifieds, I would probably go for Bernie's Vega conversion. Then again, I always lean toward the vintage instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

bcmd 

I probably only want to spend about $2K which is why I was attracted to the Eastman. But who knows? I have a birthday coming up. ;-) I looked for a demo of the the Weber Bitterroot Mandocello that showed off its tone, but couldn't really find anything, just the Gallatin and the Yellowstone. Is yours the two-point with f-holes? Can you link to a recording or video of it?

Thanks, Jim!

8. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

bcmd 

Blog Entries

I agree with Jim's assessment -- I had a chance to play one at a local store several months ago. I'm big on feel, and it felt like a lively instrument. Listeners liked how it sounded when I played it.

I do have small hands, and I don't have experience with other mandocellos. I don't remember it being an issue, unless I were really planning to play up the neck a lot. My other thought is that string spacing is a fine line, because on that scale length, it seems like you could easily run into the strings buzzing each other.

It was a fine instrument though -- the fit and finish was otherwise a step up from my Eastman 515.

10. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

bcmd 

Thanks, Steve.

I have found 1-2 good videos featuring the Eastman mandocello with f-holes, but none with the oval soundholes. I wish I could find one with the two being played side by side.

As far as the Weber mandocello, I found a few good ones with the Gallatin and the Yellowstone, but none with the Bitterroot.

Thanks again!

Check The Mandolin Store’s site to see if there are demo vids up. I ended up buying a Weber Yellowstone from them, but recall Dennis telling me that he preferred Eastman’s oval hole over the F, at least on the ones they had in stock at the time. You may be able to call them for a demo over the phone. They’re typically very responsive to such requests...
    Chuck

Most who have experience with mandocellos will have the Eastman nut and bridge recut to fix string spacing issues, and some also move all of the strings closer to the treble side. It has a fairly wide neck 1&3/4" since it is basically just an archtop guitar that has an 8 string setup. Most mandocellos have 1&1/2" neck width.

I have an Eastman mandocello that I took to the shop and had them install a new nut with the string pairs spaced closer together and also had the courses brought a little closer together. I think to make it "perfect" I would also change the saddle so the strings where equally spaced on that end too. Changing the nut made it a little easier to play (and I do have beefy fingers).

I think the Eastman mandocello is really a guitar with a cello fretboard, nut, bridge and tailpiece. If I compare the Eastman to instuments built as a mandocello from the start, the necks are a bit more narrow. The shop I took it to is also an Eastman dealer that just happen to have the jazz guitar in the shop that is the basic platform on which the cello is built. They look identical. Nothing wrong with that. The Eastman is a great sounding instrument, especially for the price!
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

Here is a link for the Oval model being played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-r-DImoMhg
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

16. The following members say thank you to Todd Bowman for this post:

bcmd 

If you go for the 805 one (assuming you find one) just be prepared to either spend time or money to get it playable. I know they only made a handful of those MCs but i would think that they would fix the set up problem. When I wrote to them the rep was uninterested.

That oval hole one looks like it was made on a smaller guitar body and it seems like the neck was a bit narrower, at least it looks like that from the fuzzy and dark video.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

18. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

bcmd 

Quote Originally Posted by tbown View Post
    I think the Eastman mandocello is really a guitar with a cello fretboard, nut, bridge and tailpiece.
    More accurate would be "a guitar with a guitar fretboard, mandocello nut, bridge and tailpiece." I doubt they did any modification on the guitar neck.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

bcmd 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

That oval hole one looks like it was made on a smaller guitar body and it seems like the neck was a bit narrower, at least it looks like that from the fuzzy and dark video.
    Jim, it looks to me like that video perspective is "stretched" - so I'd be surprised if the shape of that instrument is different than the ff hole variety. Would be good to know for sure.

The first video in NW Steve's first YT link (post #6) offers a few close looks at the string spacing, and from looking at the video they certainly look like they're spread a bit too far apart. I noticed that the demos I watched didn't feature guys fretting on the C string as they played.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

22. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

bcmd 

I saw this one but he has it tuned CGCG so I found it hard to judge. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Check The Mandolin Store’s site to see if there are demo vids up. I ended up buying a Weber Yellowstone from them, but recall Dennis telling me that he preferred Eastman’s oval hole over the F, at least on the ones they had in stock at the time. You may be able to call them for a demo over the phone. They’re typically very responsive to such requests...
    You win the prize, Chuck! I didn't see the recording when I was shopping there.

https://themandolinstore.com/product...man-oval-hole/

https://themandolinstore.com/product...astman-f-hole/

Even hearing the recording, it's hard for me to tell which one I like best, but this is exactly what I asked for. Thanks!

Brian

I know it is hard to tell from photos, but even the oval hole one linked above looks like it needs a new nut. The two lower courses look too widely separated. I wonder if TMS would correct that for a buyer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	167137
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

This is what emando.com has to say on it
    I like a lot of things about the Eastman mandocellos, but I don't like the factory string spacing, nor do I care for the super-light C strings. I think it's well worth the $75 or so it would cost to get a new nut and saddle with the string pairs slotted a little tighter—and while you're at it, you can get the C-string slots cut for a proper C of .070–.074 gauge.

Its OK to drool....

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know it is hard to tell from photos, but even the oval hole one linked above looks like it needs a new nut. The two lower courses look too widely separated. I wonder if TMS would correct that for a buyer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0066.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	167137
    I think the f-vs-oval hole issue is way less important than the fact Eastman has put the cello nut on a guitar-width neck, which makes for poor ergonomics -- especially with the guitar-like rounded (instead of triangular) neck shape. I'm glad some folks are respacing the nut, but that sounds like a partial solution.

If Eastman doesn't want to go to the expense of a narrower neck joint, I wish they would make a narrower, triangular neck that's guitar-width only at the neck joint. Or even add a fifth course (C-G-D-A-E), reinforcing the top for the extra tension? We can dream!

Meanwhile, I'd buy elsewhere. I see Musikalia has bowlback mandocellos starting at $605 USD. (NFI of course)
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America