Thread: Typical MT2 sound?

Default Typical MT2 sound?

Hi All - new to the forum and the mandolin. Been interested in Collings mandolins and while testing out online lessons, came across:

https://youtu.be/ZBLcUzA8mOs

Is this pretty typical of the MT2 sound/tone? I've heard there can be quite a bit of individual variation. Still developing an ear.

Looking forward to learning!

Default Re: Typical MT2 sound?

That sounds great!

Note that MT (which I have) has an Engleman top. MT2 has a Adirondack top. Sound is a bit different if you are looking at the lower priced MT (vs. MT2) model.

The F holes are tone bar braced. The oval holes are x braced. Again different sounds.

Collings mandolins are known for being super consistent but (based on the above) can vary in sound in the various versions.

What is that song Sharon and Dan are playing ?

Dan is the playing Chinquapin Hunting (very out of tune) and Sharon is playing Clinch Mountain Backstep with Scott Nygard.

I used to own an MT2 but sadly traded it away during an irrational bout of MAS. I have an MT right now which is a terrific mandolin, but I wish I could have that MT2 back.
    The player is surely more important than the instrument, but this video is the tone I hear in my head when dreaming about that MT2.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnywoS8u-FU

Rich

I have an MT, I listened to sound clips from both the MT and MT2 before I "pulled the trigger," I liked the MT sound better than the MT2, although both sounded great to me.

The MT2 is also available with Italian Spruce. I think it suits the Collings sound beautifully.

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

To complicate tone matters, according to the clip, Kym's MT2 is engleman. It (and he) sound wonderful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by devildog View Post
    To complicate tone matters, according to the clip, Kym's MT2 is engleman. It (and he) sound wonderful.
    I hate to admit this, but I don't know the difference between the tone of Engleman, Sitka and Adirondack. I came from the guitar world and I focused more on sustain and bass response for finger picking. These last five years as a mandolin player have opened a whole new scene for me! Are there basic rules of thumb-- resonance, bass response, brightness differences, etc.? I would appreciate a better understanding. Thank you for anyone willing to educate me a bit.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I have an MT2-V from 2009. It sounds VERY much like this one. If you look for an instrument that has had time to age it is very possible it could end up like what is being played by Kym.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    The MT2 is also available with Italian Spruce. I think it suits the Collings sound beautifully.

Semi related - it was something in the tone of the mandolin in this video i was looking for and using as a reference when I was on the hunt recently. It stood out to me for some reason and stuck in my ears.

It's probably silly to try to judge tone from sound clips and videos, but for whatever it's worth I didn't hear what I wanted in other videos & sound clips, including other TME videos of MTs & MT2s. Could have been for any number of reasons though, possibly including my own self-delusion.

I did (with help) find a mandolin with a sound that makes me happy, but it wasn't a collings somewhat surprisingly. If I had the budget for the collings in this video that's probably what I would have tried first, I just couldn't find other videos w/ the same sound. Best guess is the italian spruce but there are way too many variables for any certainty.

The only other mandolin's I've actually played were way different from both this video and my mandolin to my ear, but also weren't collings so not much use as a reference point.

MT2V with an Engelmann top is the way to go. To my ears this epitomizes the Collings sound. Lp
    https://youtu.be/m-6CB8dg_2E
    J.Lane Pryce