Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Essential Mandolin Techniques.

Default Re: Essential Mandolin Techniques.

Leone mentions lengthening and shortening fingers and Christina covers this whereas the other two don't. However, Christina does not advocate increasing grip tension to increase or decrease volume like Leone does. Probably because it's so old, I should probably take Leone's work more as a guideline it seems and less like the indisputable best way. Most of Leone's writing talks about when to down stroke vs Upstroke. Is it really that important like he makes it out to be? Chris seems to upstroke almost every time after he downstrokes. But i'm not seeing all of his playing, nor able to distinguish too well since he goes so fast.

2. The following members say thank you to gfugal for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gfugal View Post
    Leone mentions lengthening and shortening fingers and Christina covers this whereas the other two don't. However, Christina does not advocate increasing grip tension to increase or decrease volume like Leone does. Probably because it's so old, I should probably take Leone's work more as a guideline it seems and less like the indisputable best way. Most of Leone's writing talks about when to down stroke vs Upstroke. Is it really that important like he makes it out to be? Chris seems to upstroke almost every time after he downstrokes. But i'm not seeing all of his playing, nor able to distinguish too well since he goes so fast.
    Alternate picking on the mandolin is very important and you want to make sure you are doing this correctly. Think of your right hand as your metronome going up and down with the beat (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &). Regardless of how the music lays out with respect to rests or quarter notes or eighth notes, the down part of the beat (1 2 3 4) is always a down stroke and the up part ( the "&") is always an up stroke.

This is called alternate picking, but you can't take that literally because, depending on how long a note is held, you may follow a down stroke with another down stroke or you may have several up strokes in a row. Regardless, they are always following the 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & pattern. This will make sense to you if you keep your right hand moving up and down when a note is held longer, or there is a rest, etc. It helps to exaggerate this motion at first to be able to see how it works and to make sure you are playing a string of notes correctly with respect to which ones are down strokes and which are up strokes.

There are exceptions to this, like cross picking, and you'll see Caterina use some techniques that do not follow this rule, but it is the first thing you should learn (before learning the exceptions). The picking patterns for jigs in 6/8 time is another exception.

4. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

So looks like all the videos are advocating for a loose fist contrary to what Leone suggests. No one pinky anchors, so I'll throw that out the window. I'm still not sure whether anchoring the base of your palm is acceptable. Mike sort of suggests it but prefaces "ever so lightly". Christina also looks like she might but just a little. I'm don't think Chris is, but he's also the only one standing.
    I would say that most people touch the mandolin somewhere with their right hand. "Anchor" is a little too rigid. But "brushing" a pinky or somewhere on the base of your hand near the bridge is very common. You need to have some frame of reference for your right hand, especially at first. Very few people, if anyone, has a completely free floating hand 100% of the time. I have seen videos where both Chris and Mike say that they touch behind the bridge with the "meat" of the base of the hand slightly or lightly brushing. And I have seen both of them brush their pinkies on the top of the mandolin at times.

The important thing is not to anchor, but allow your hand to move freely. Don't worry about being 100% free floating at first.

FYI, there are some great players who anchor the pinky (see Adam Steffey), but that's not something you should try for when starting out. It's best not to if you can help it.

Here's an Idea of what I'm talking about when I say anchor. You're right "anchoring" is probably not the right word. I'm thinking of archery which I'm also interested in. In archery anchoring gives you a reference point which increases accuracy. I remeber seing this video on facebook and was wondering if the principle could apply to playing the mandolin too. I'm not sure if her "anchoring" is aiding her playing or if she is doing it in spite of it. Obviously she can do it well, but whether it should be emulated or not is what I'm wondering (like how you say Adam Steffey does well with his pinky support but shouldn't nesecarilly be copied).

I should tell you that when Leone says quill he means just that -part of a feather, so maybe his way of holding is necessarily different, although shortening and lengthening the fingers and adjusting the looseness are advocated elsewhere too.

The real value with Leone to me is in the picking exercises ups and downs, across the strings, patterns &c., the classical books I have seen seem to initially concentrate on getting a really sound right hand technique and a good knowledge of scales in first position before venturing up the fret board.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

8. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Here's an Idea of what I'm talking about when I say anchor. You're right "anchoring" is probably not the right word. I'm thinking of archery which I'm also interested in. In archery anchoring gives you a reference point which increases accuracy. I remeber seing this video on facebook and was wondering if the principle could apply to playing the mandolin too. I'm not sure if her "anchoring" is aiding her playing or if she is doing it in spite of it. Obviously she can do it well, but whether it should be emulated or not is what I'm wondering (like how you say Adam Steffey does well with his pinky support but shouldn't nesecarilly be copied).
    I think it's good to have a reference point. So don't think you need to be 100% free floating all the time. But avoid "planting" your pinky finger (for example) as that limits movement and often adds tension somewhere in the hand/arm. If you're brushing your right hand somewhere, that's better.

You will notice that she's pretty close to free floating when playing rhythm. That is something to shoot for. Fast single note lines might require some form of touching with the right hand for accuracy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Google to get the sheet music to Raffaele Calace's: 2 preludio op. 49,, get to learn it and play it entirely,by the time your finished,you will know every feasible mandolin technique there is....
    Where can I get tab and a recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Kersak View Post
    Where can I get tab and a recording?
    Well,no tab,,part of the fun is figuring out the notation and positions, go on YouTube and you'll find a few examples,try to follow the sheet music to the playing so you know this piece intimately...

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Just an aside - and my apologies in advance for posting off-topic.

Camera angle on tutorials was mentioned, and I thought I'd interject that the best I've seen in that regard has to be James Taylor's YouTube guitar lessons. He used a number of camera angles to show what he's doing from above, down the neck, straight ahead and from within the soundhole. His strange chord fingerings combined with the unequaled views of what he's doing should be of interest to any fingerstyle guitarist.

Back to the topic, Catherine (Caterina) does a great job of showing what she wants to teach as well. And I don't think it is at all unusual that teachers use and teach varying methods. It's the way of individualism.

See the four camera angles at 1:00 in for the first James Taylor lesson, for an example of what he's done for students.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EacI...ijHS71GYkSnvsV
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

13. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

There are bigger differences than that, between Caterina and Chris.

GROSS OVERSIMPLIFICATION WARNING:

Caterina's technique is in the camp of the German style of classical mandolin playing. Which has more than a few interesting differences with the "other"camp, the Italian style of classical mandolin playing, to which Chris is closer. Differences in angle of the pick and how tremolo is done and other things. It takes experts, (or at least folks with more experience and learning than I have) to sort out the details and their implications.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

To get back to the OP's original question...

Tremolo. If you're serious about playing mandolin, start practicing tremolo on day one. It's a simple idea, but executing it on the fly in a song is a surprisingly difficult task that can literally take years to get comfortable at, depending on how much time you have to practice. When I first started playing I spent about a year just doing tremolo scales and tremolo double stops for about 10-15 minutes every day. No other western string instrument demands a strong tremolo more than the mandolin.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Orr For This Useful Post:

Here’s a list of techniques with exercises:
    http://www.mandozine.com/techniques/

Two of my favourites (the first that I need to follow more often):
    Don’t make mistakes/slow down ie. A good note is one step forward, a bad note is 10 steps back.
    The second is something I’ve recently learned:
    (DuD,DuD), can be a blues rhythm where the ‘u’ is silent, or (DdD, DdD), ‘d’ silent/damped too and slight syncopation. each with emphasis on the first D. Now if it’s not too fast, you can then suddenly jump, again with the emphasis to (DUDUDU, DUDUDU) as a tremolo, sliding to double stops, to great effect. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    FYI, there are some great players who anchor the pinky (see Adam Steffey), but that's not something you should try for when starting out. It's best not to if you can help it.
    Just because some great player uses less-than-ideal technique does not mean it is a good idea to play that way on purpose.

As I have said, many people play well in spite of their technique not because of it.

20. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There are bigger differences than that, between Caterina and Chris.

GROSS OVERSIMPLIFICATION WARNING:

Caterina's technique is in the camp of the German style of classical mandolin playing. Which has more than a few interesting differences with the "other"camp, the Italian style of classical mandolin playing, to which Chris is closer. Differences in angle of the pick and how tremolo is done and other things. It takes experts, (or at least folks with more experience and learning than I have) to sort out the details and their implications.
    Compared to a lot of mandolin players, they play more alike than not - to a point.

As a non-German player more of the Neapolitan tradition, the differences I hear are:

German style uses less tremolo

German tone color is darker and more even due to strings and pick type, not just angle - Neapolitan school uses roundwound strings and a less rubbery pick.

German instruments are built a bit different for a darker tone

and other things someone more expert in the German school could identify.

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    The real value with Leone to me is in the picking exercises ups and downs, across the strings, patterns &c.
    Yes -- the instruments of Leone's day are like nothing any of us have, unless you've had a historical repro made -- and so the value of Leone's technical instruction always must be reconsidered. Also note that Leone doesn't always agree with the other 18th-century tutors; Paul Sparks has done a comparison in his book "The Classical Mandolin." With the level of detail folks are discussing in this thread, that book should be helpful.

Agree, there's huge value in Leone's ornate picking patterns, much of which did not survive to the next generation of instruction books. Working through his patterns are a different direction, which I find inspirational for composing new mandolin music.

Seems as if this thread is comparing pick grip and RH technique across traditions -- the grip with pick on side of index finger (rather than on the pad) is clearly illustrated in the influential Bickford method, which is nearly 100 years old, so it's not only the bluegrass-oriented players who use this.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    Yes -- the instruments of Leone's day are like nothing any of us have, unless you've had a historical repro made -- and so the value of Leone's technical instruction always must be reconsidered. Also note that Leone doesn't always agree with the other 18th-century tutors; Paul Sparks has done a comparison in his book "The Classical Mandolin." With the level of detail folks are discussing in this thread, that book should be helpful.

Agree, there's huge value in Leone's ornate picking patterns, much of which did not survive to the next generation of instruction books. Working through his patterns are a different direction, which I find inspirational for composing new mandolin music.

Seems as if this thread is comparing pick grip and RH technique across traditions -- the grip with pick on side of index finger (rather than on the pad) is clearly illustrated in the influential Bickford method, which is nearly 100 years old, so it's not only the bluegrass-oriented players who use this.
    August has written a good book on Classical technique Exploring Classical Mandolin that you might want to take a look at.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

25. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, derbex -- to put in just another idea or two about the value of Leone:

The Leone method is also valuable because he gives us some triadic chord progressions for applying the picking patterns. It's the beginnings of a useful concept for understanding chord shapes all over the neck. And since he writes out the chords in such a way that it's easy to connect the top note of one to the top note of the next (forming a melody) -- Leone has essentially written a triadic chord-melody method, just as useful today as when it was written. Has nothing to do with style; it's easily applicable to all styles. Just great mandolin info!
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

27. The following members say thank you to August Watters for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    August has written a good book on Classical technique Exploring Classical Mandolin that you might want to take a look at.
    I also recommend that book highly.

Unfortunately, the mandolin players that really need to read it don't seem to care about classical mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Just because some great player uses less-than-ideal technique does not mean it is a good idea to play that way on purpose.

As I have said, many people play well in spite of their technique not because of it.
    That's what I was saying as well. Pointing out that some players play that way, but the OP should not try to do it that way.

30. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by August Watters View Post
    Thanks, derbex -- to put in just another idea or two about the value of Leone:

The Leone method is also valuable because he gives us some triadic chord progressions for applying the picking patterns. It's the beginnings of a useful concept for understanding chord shapes all over the neck. And since he writes out the chords in such a way that it's easy to connect the top note of one to the top note of the next (forming a melody) -- Leone has essentially written a triadic chord-melody method, just as useful today as when it was written. Has nothing to do with style; it's easily applicable to all styles. Just great mandolin info!
    Where's the banging head against a wall emoji -sometimes I need someone to point out what's staring me in the face.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    To get back to the OP's original question...

Tremolo. If you're serious about playing mandolin, start practicing tremolo on day one. It's a simple idea, but executing it on the fly in a song is a surprisingly difficult task that can literally take years to get comfortable at, depending on how much time you have to practice. When I first started playing I spent about a year just doing tremolo scales and tremolo double stops for about 10-15 minutes every day. No other western string instrument demands a strong tremolo more than the mandolin.
    I actually have a question about Tremolo. I've been reading the Mandolin for Dummies book, and it basically says it's a fast alternating picking. My question is if the double strings play any role in the tremolo? For some reason I thought they did, but he didn't mention anything about them. If they don't then that means tremolo is just as feasable for guitar right? why is it so prevelent on the mandolin? Also what is the purpose of double strings then if it isn't for tremolo? Sorry for all the questions.

I actually have a question about Tremolo. I've been reading the Mandolin for Dummies book, and it basically says it's a fast alternating picking. My question is if the double strings play any role in the tremolo? For some reason I thought they did, but he didn't mention anything about them.
    The double string courses are part of it. You're getting a smoother, more continuous sound with tremolo on double course strings, because more strings are sounding in each stroke of the pick.

If they don't then that means tremolo is just as feasable for guitar right? why is it so prevelent on the mandolin?
    On mandolin, the strings are all close enough together to sweep back and forth quickly with the pick. Guitar strings are much further apart, so it can't be as quick and smooth with just a flatpick covering that much ground. However, there is a similar technique called "rasgueado" used with Flamenco and Classical guitar, where you splay out your fingers to cover the strings, and do a rapid controlled finger strum similar to tremolo on mandolin.

Also what is the purpose of double strings then if it isn't for tremolo? Sorry for all the questions.
    The main reason is that more strings create more volume. It's difficult to get volume on a short-scale instrument with a small body. Take off half the strings, and a mandolin is a much quieter instrument.

There are secondary reasons involving timbre -- the sound of two strings that are never completely in tune with each other. I think that becomes more of the rationale with longer-scale instruments like octave mandolins and bouzoukis, which would otherwise be loud enough with their longer scales and larger bodies.

I actually have a question about Tremolo. I've been reading the Mandolin for Dummies book, and it basically says it's a fast alternating picking. My question is if the double strings play any role in the tremolo? For some reason I thought they did, but he didn't mention anything about them. If they don't then that means tremolo is just as feasable for guitar right? why is it so prevelent on the mandolin? Also what is the purpose of double strings then if it isn't for tremolo? Sorry for all the questions.
    I'm not so sure I'd day it's fast alternating picking...I mean...it is...but it's also it's own thing entirely.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the double strings. Do you mean double stops, or just the courses on a mando? Since all the courses are double strings then by definition they play a role on a mandolin.

Tremolo is totally feasible for guitar. Tremolo is at the heart of most any speed metal and surf guitar. Dick Dale (the father of surf guitar) grew up playing mandolin and his unique (a the time) guitar solos reflect that in his heavy use of tremolo. That said, IMO, tremolo on an acoustic guitar sounds kind've...awkward.

Practically, the double strings are there to boost volume, but they also are strongly responsible for the mandolin's unique sound, so to some degree, they're there because if they weren't a mandolin wouldn't sound like a mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    The main reason is that more strings create more volume. It's difficult to get volume on a short-scale instrument with a small body. Take off half the strings, and a mandolin is a much quieter instrument.
    Sorry I'm just trying to understand the purpose behind it. What you guys said makes sense. Including the volume thing, but it got me wondering about the Ukulele. That seems to be a fairly loud instrament, at least to me, yet it is close to the same size as the mandolin with only one string per note. Is it still loud because of its shape and sound hole, or is it because of the plastic strings, or is it something else entirely. Maybe I'm wrong and it isn't loud at all. Maybe I just have limited exposure of hearing a mandolin played along with a ukulele to tell that the mandolin is significantly louder.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the double strings. Do you mean double stops or just the courses on a mando? Since all the courses are double strings then by definition they play a role on a mandolin.
    Before I started reading up about tremolo, I thought you played each string in a course individually to get more individual strikes per stroke, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to be that they are both played as one just as they are normally othertimes. The strum frequency is not coming from playing each string in a course seperately but from picking (in an alternateing way) much faster.

My question was whether this is true or not, and if so whether there ever is an instance where you play just one string in a course seperately from the other. If not, I was wondering what purpose the double strings play.

Sorry I'm just trying to understand the purpose behind it. What you guys said makes sense. Including the volume thing, but it got me wondering about the Ukulele. That seems to be a fairly loud instrament, at least to me, yet it is close to the same size as the mandolin with only one string per note. Is it still loud because of its shape and sound hole, or is it because of the plastic strings, or is it something else entirely.
    Ukulele is an interesting comparison. I think if you heard someone play the same thing on ukulele and good archtop mandolin, you'd hear a significant volume difference. Maybe a bit less difference with a flat-top mandolin, but the double course strings on a mandolin still have a big volume advantage due to the tension driving the top. The metal strings on a mandolin also have more "presence" due to the higher frequency content compared to the soft sound of nylon strings.

That said, there are some loud ukes out there, and not every mandolin is a "banjo killer," so we're just talking in general terms here.

Before I started reading up about tremolo, I thought you played each string in a course individually to get more individual strikes per stroke, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to be that they are both played as one just as they are normally othertimes. The strum frequency is not coming from playing each string in a course seperately but from picking (in an alternateing way) much faster.

My question was whether this is true or not, and if so whether there ever is an instance where you play just one string in a course seperately from the other. If not, I was wondering what purpose the double strings play.
    There is only one technique I've heard of, where you do actually play each string in a double course separately. But it's not tremolo, it's a method of getting a partial chord by pinching down one string in a pair with your fingernail. Very difficult, not many people do this. It wouldn't normally be something you'd want to learn when first starting out with mandolin. Usually we treat each double course pair as a single note.

37. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post: