Thread: Heavy gauge strings

Default Heavy gauge strings

Can I put heavy gauge strings (011.5) on my M510 ibanez mandolin? Or will it harm my instrument?

And in what genre the heavy gauge strings is common?

Default Re: Heavy gauge strings

honestly, i've never really thought about gauge and genre in the same sentence, so I can't help you there.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Sure you can try out some .115 gauge strings. That instrument has a high pressure laminate , read plywood, top so damage is unlikely. The heavier strings may make that particular instrument slightly louder but I suspect they will make very little if any difference in the tone. But then the heavier strings might drive that plywood top slightly better than the .11"s. You never know until you try. Genre played has nothing to do with string gauge. Personally I would stick with .11's.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thank you very much guys

Without a really good setup, the heavier .115" strings will take a toll on your fingers. I tried out the D'A FT-75 heavies (.0115" E, to .041" G) strings and liked the tone a lot but man, they beat up my fingers much quicker than the FT-74s mediums (.011" to .039") I normally use. As always ymmv

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I like an easy playing mandolin, I use 11-16-27-41. Kind of in between the heavy and normal. The kind of string makes a difference, phosphor bronze have more tension than the pure nickel I am using so I don't notice a difference in feel. My action is light tho.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!