Thread: Kentucky KM162 vs The Loar 220

Question Kentucky KM162 vs The Loar 220

Hi all,

I'm new here. In fact, I'm totally new to mandolins and thinking about buying my first mandolin. Have been looking around for used ones, and I'm wondering if any of you have any opinions as to which is the best beginner mandolin among the Loar 220 and the Kentucky KM162. Looking at both used. Seems like the Kentucky brand has a slightly better rap compared to The Loar, but the Loar is cheaper, nice looking and I probably won't notice the difference anyway, since I'm a beginner, or ...?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Kentucky KM162 vs The Loar 220

''.......and I probably won't notice the difference anyway, since I'm a beginner, ""

since its your first mandolin i would suggest ( price and quality being relatively similar ) that you buy the one that will make you want to keep playing . if you enjoy mandolin and stick with it , either of these will likely be history as simple starters . as you learn more about your musical tastes , your playing , your commitment to the instrument , to practicing etc..you'll refine your wish list in terms of a better instrument and have a much better grasp of what that instrument will look , feel and sound like helping you make an informed decision .

for the time ....grab either of those and get pickin'

best of luck ..and welcome to the madness .

I believe the lm 220 is the A-style equivalent of the F-style 520. You will get a solid carved mandolin without fancy inlays and such. With some set-up work these are really decent sounding and playing instruments. I am far less knowledgeable on Kentucky mandos, but they get good reviews these days.

Thanks for the input!
    I just bought the The Loar! Now waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

Have fun!
    Ruhland #41
    My unnamed build #1
    Various other stringed and percussion tools