Thread: Loar / Kentucky comparison

Default Loar / Kentucky comparison

I recently came across a good deal on a used Kentucky 950 (not on this site) so even though my skills don't match the mandolin, I bought it to complement or replace my Loar 220. Seeing as comparison posts were helpful for me as a beginner, here's are my initial impressions after one day in upgrading from my beginner mandolin.
    * Size & Look: They are almost exactly the same size and from the front, look nearly identical on first glance, minus the labeling. The sides and back of the Kentucky are less orange and have more yellow than the front, I'm assuming from different woods. I would be surprised if anyone in my playing group notices the difference on sight.
    * Weight: You don't see this in the specs, but the Loar is noticeably heavier and just feels solid, like a tank. The Kentucky feels more light, delicate and refined. As I trade back and forth between the two, it really stands out...
    * Tone: I think the weight and different structural feeling translate into very different tones. The Loar is loud and brash and aggressive. Not in a bad way, but it's not subtle. The Kentucky sounds lighter, and has more sustain and ring, a bit like a mandola. A firm but delicate sound. I think my playing group will notice this before the look.
    * Tuning: The Kentucky seems to go out of tune faster than the Loar. Not sure what causes this or if there's anything to do about it. It was set-up before I purchased.
    * Playability: The Kentucky feels a bit easier to play, particularly on the G and D strings. It could be a combination of the radius fretboard, lighter gauge strings (not sure on this), a better set-up, or my head.

Anyway, happy with the change...still contemplating what to do with the Loar.

2. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

Default Re: Loar / Kentucky comparison

Nice review. The Kentucky KM-950 is one of their top level Master model mandolins. The Loar 220 is one of their lower level instruments. As far as I know, the Loar mandolins of that level are not hand carved and are just carved by a machine to get to a reasonable thickness. The Kentucky 900 level and above are all hand carved and can result in a refinement that isn't possible by machine. Also the quality of the woods and hardware is a big step up on the Kentucky.

Regarding what to do with the Loar 220, now you have a great travel/campfire mandolin. Take it with you on your next raft trip!

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

When I bought my KM-956 (the same mandolin as the 950 except for the color) it had light gauge strings on it, I don`t know why, but after installing a set of GHS A-270`s it sounds as good as all of my other three F model mandolins...I did find that by raising the bridge just a tad on the E and A strings it took away a lot of the shrillness that was there, I also recommend trying different picks and you will see a difference there also...

Enjoy it because for the price they sell for they can`t be beat...Just my opinion of course...

Willie

The difference in color you noted is not different woods, but rather different stains and or tints in the lacquer.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Keep the Loar for camping, travel, lending to friends and such. Doubt you'll be playing it much.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Congratulations! Agree with others to keep the Loar to use as a “beater” or loaner if you have the space. I have an Eastman that serves that role very well that I actually play a fair amount.

I suspect you’ll notice more “refinement” in the Kentucky as you play it more. As Willie said, strings can make a huge difference. Try J74 and J75 gauges (of whatever string brand you prefer). Most of my mandolins seem to prefer the 75s, with a couple of notable exceptions (none of which are arch topped instruments).
    Chuck

That's intereseting. I think the 950 will open up a lot as you play it, more than the The Loar. And try Monels, Silk & steels, the new d'addario nickel bronzes

I have a KM900 and my 2nd was a LM300 which was a great value for the money, very decent tone. Not exactly a tone monster, pretty dark. I think if i still had the Loar I would measure and see the top is thicker at the f-holes. My KM900 has a couple cracks spidering off the F-holes, probably from being shipped from Chicago to Seattle in the winter in a UPS truck so you have to be careful about temp/humidity changes if you're living in the northern latitudes (and far souther too of course)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Interesting comparison. I still have my the Loar LM 220 and I have a Kentucky KM 805 I got in trade for a guitar that didn't fit me. The Loar LM 220 is IMHO a good starter mandolin, and I don't dislike it, but the Kentucky KM 805 is a step up. I am less sure I would prefer the starter Kentuckys to my the Loar, but my LM 220 is an older model I bought used (I am unsure of the year.) I have heard that the current models are not made in the same place.

After a few weeks with the mandolin, I really like the tone - the 950 has a rich, round, warm, sustaining tone vs. the more harsh Loar (which could be good if that's what you're looking for). I don't have a discerning ear but sometimes I'm playing and I smile because I really like the tone I'm hearing (not because I'm am or am not a good player, just the sound it's making).

My only complaint so far is that the 950 seems to go out of tune much more easily than the Loar. Could there be anything to this? Looser or less stiff tuners? Any remedy or test?

Blog Entries

'The Loar' mandolins are not 'subtle'....

Tuning problem: Environment is a big factor. Changes in temperature/humidity, also the brand/gauge of strings. As it is a lighter build that the boat-anchor 'The Loar', it will be more sensitive to these influences. All mandolins also benefit greatly from a thorough setup. The tuners themselves on the 950 are more than adequate. Slight changes in tuning stability can (as noted) also be down to a 'settling in' period in a different environment.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

on my 950 I found a considerable lean of the tuning posts - I changed the bushings to Rubners - they fixed the tuning problem by 95% the missing 5% I suspect is due to the worm under construction --
    Have anybody changed tuners to worm overs ? --- can it be done ? is it visually pleasing ?
    Jens

A quick follow-up to this comparison thread from last year...

I find that I really find the Loar neck noticeably more comfortable ("rounded V profile") - it seems thicker and I like that for whatever reason.

I can't really find any standard descriptions on the Kentucky neck profile but it definitely feels thinner. But I like the sound of it better - more rich.

The Loar also seems easier to play and that could be the neck but could also be set-up (though the Kentucky was set-up when I bought it).

Why aren't neck thicknesses or shapes measured or described in a standard way across mandolins?

The natural next question is what mandolin combines the thicker neck of the Loar with the better sound of the Kentucky?

Your questions are a natural progression now you have experienced an instrument of good quality. Kentucky seems to own the price point the master series occupies. Only competitor I can think of is J Bovier which I've never played.

You will need to jump a price point to find mandolins that won't be a step back in tone. Several brands offer wider necks you might like. Try to find a store that has Webers, Pavas, Collings, and Northridge to name just a few.

Other than that, shop used and you can buy and sell a few with little loss of money. But you buy the whole mandolin and you might like a neck but not the tone.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Nice review. I’ve a similar level but one holer Kentucky, and less expensive Loar. See sig.

I’ve about the same opinion. Both have Daddario strings. My KY is louder, brighter, boomier (tubbier?) while the Loar has a woodier sound. Playability is about the same. I like both, if one start sounding too familiar I’ll switch. I rotate them with a little weight towards the Loar.

If I'm outdoors I’ll play the KY due to its volume.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272