Thread: marking strips for joint fitting

Default marking strips for joint fitting

I have seen video of someone using a black paper strip to pull through the heel/body joint, marking the high spots. I use cloth-backed sandpaper in this way, but I'd rather make that the last step, using other tools for the rough fit.

What is this product called, and where can I get it? I'd prefer some other color, so it shows up on ebony.

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Default Re: marking strips for joint fitting

It's probably carbon paper. Back in the dark ages, when using a typewriter (another ancient device) to make more than one copy you would insert carbon paper between your sheets of paper, type away, and get multiple copies. I don't know but it might be hard to find carbon paper these days, maybe in a very complete office supply store. Anyhow, black is the only color I've ever seen it in. Chalk fitting is another method of final fitting and would give you a wide variety of colors to choose from. Chalk one side of the joint, and then see where it rubs off onto the other side of the joint.
    Peace

Carbon paper is dark blue, as I remember, and sort of crinkly. The stuff I saw was very black and looked to be stiffer than carbon paper, which wouldn't withstand much tugging I suspect.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Well, you really don't have to tug. You just lay the carbon paper on the joint and gently try to assemble it. It will mark the high spots.
    However, the chalk method is much, much simpler, less messy and doesn't depend on hard to find paper.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO