Thread: Billy Strings and Don Julin

Default Billy Strings and Don Julin

found a few Billy Strings videos the other day while looking for something else-what an amazing young player.............then, out of the corner, there is Don Julin. Sit down for this. Lots more out there in youtube land.

For those who don't know-Billy Strings & Don Julin play traditional American string band music with energy levels usually associated with extreme sports. This is your grandaddy's bluegrass delivered with a pedal to the metal intensity of a moonshine runner. This performance was recorded on July 1, 2015.(taken from this next video)

and yes, he plays mandolin also-here he is with his father at elderlys-I guess someone handed him a mandolin, still has a price tag on it-probably never seen it or touched it until they handed it to him...............selling all my instruments now, I quit

Default Re: Billy Strings and Don Julin

Billy & Don were together a couple of years, toured like mad, hopefully made a few bucks. Now they've split up.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks for sharing, had to grab an extra cup of coffee to keep up

good stuff!

Blog Entries

I like their music videos. Glad they produced all that footage when they were together. I always find a mandolin version of some fiddle tune to steal when I watch Don play with Billy. He seems to have one version of some tune that's crazy simple but works perfect.

Billy is an unreal picker. Kinda hurts to watch him spank the mandolin too. I saw him at a local house concert last year and he blew us away with his talent and energy

Don is one helluva mandolin player, there’s another video of him where He’s promoting a mic with a BG band really good stuff and the mic sounds great.
    Lou

They are hard to beat....Gills ain't no slouch on that dog house either, as you can see in the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plb9xy4HQR0
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Billy has become a favorite at Delfest. This year he's got a set with Bryan Sutton which should be a great one.

Searching for the Sound

Billy and his current band are an absolute ton of fun, but I wish I would have seen him with Don .....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815