Thread: New 1921 Gibson A

Default New 1921 Gibson A

I picked up this A model today at Asheville GC. I had seen it online languishing at the Mobile AL store. Apparently there is minimal interest in mandolins that far from the mountains. So I purchased it sight unseen and had it shipped to Asheville.

Things looked and sounded very good at first sight. The varnish finish was in excellent shape with only the slightest signs of wear, revealed a beautiful wide grain Adi top in Sheraton brown. The neck was straight. The frets need a slight dressing. The fingerrest appears to be original but needs tightening to eliminate buzzing. I decided to take it off, as I never use them

A closer inspection revealed a 1.5" separation between back and sides with slight misalignment. I'll have to attend to that right away.

What about the sound? Quite amazing! Loud, brilliant, lively. It made my Lafferty which I had brought along for comparison sound dark and subdued by comparison.

I think I might have found a real gem. Not that it doesn't need a little work. But what 97 year old mandolin doesn't?

Default Re: New 1921 Gibson A

Got any pictures? Would love to see it.

Currently working on getting A model up to shape. Replaced missing case handle with a handle my local shop had in junk pile. I reglued back/side separation. Tomorrow will level and polish frets and refit poorly fit bridge. Polish up body and restring and set up. Pretty exciting!

Would like to post photos. All I have is IPhone camera and no knowledge of how to post photos.

When you are typing a reply as I am doing now, above you are icons. The third from the left is for inserting a photo.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    When you are typing a reply as I am doing now, above you are icons. The third from the left is for inserting a photo.
    I think you meant "the third from the right"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCicons.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	166744
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

pops1 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think you meant "the third from the right"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCicons.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	166744
    You would think at my age I would know my left from my right. Thanks Jim

Not to worry. I have done worse.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Leveled frets, restrung, refit bridge and found original one piece bridge didn't have enough height. Fit a new ebony adjustable bridge and completed set up. Put original one piece bridge in case.

Sounds great at this point. Think I'll leave adjustable bridge on. Other options are to laminate wood strip on bottom or find another bridge.

If the one piece bridge fits the mandolin nicely, I would prefer to put height on the top and not have to refit the bridge. It's quite simple and nearly invisible.

I like the tone and action with the adjustable bridge. Hard to believe how good it sounds and how easy it plays. The only difference between the Gibson and my newer mandolins is the smaller fretwire.

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    I like the tone and action with the adjustable bridge. Hard to believe how good it sounds and how easy it plays. The only difference between the Gibson and my newer mandolins is the smaller fretwire.
    I too prefer an adjustable bridge, just saying it is easy to make the original work for something in the future or just because.

I'm a big fan of the smaller fretwire. My KMDawg and '25 F4 have the smaller fret wire. Just like the feel more than modern, fatter wire. Probably because that is what I learned on -- or maybe a throughback from my old Les Paul days where the frets where almost not there.

Looking forward to seeing the pics when its ready!
    ========================
    2012 Gibson F5 Master Model
    2019 Northfield F5 Artist 5 Bar
    2019 Northfield Arched Octave Maple
    2020 Northfield F5 4.0

===========

Would like to post photos. All I have is IPhone camera and no knowledge of how to post photos.
    I know EXACTLY how you feel, but there is no need to worry - just find some neighborhood 3rd grader, and they will be able to do it for you! I have 4 remotes on my TV stand, and I have no idea how to use any of them. Whenever I want to watch a ballgame on television, I have to call my special needs daughter to push all the right buttons to turn on the TV and change the channels!

I have decided to refret. My other mandolins have larger fretwire and I am comfortable with that.

A closer inspection revealed a 1.5" separation between back and sides with slight misalignment. I'll have to attend to that right away.
    Very common for Gibson, esp 1920's As.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If the one piece bridge fits the mandolin nicely, I would prefer to put height on the top and not have to refit the bridge. It's quite simple and nearly invisible.
    pops1: depending on much higher the bridge needs to go, I have used a few layers of iron-on hardwood veneer tape to the base of the bridge. It conforms to the top nicely. If you have to raise it a lot then maybe no. Then I blacken it with a Sharpie. I'm not sure if the real luthiers would approve but it works nicely for me multiple times.

BTW, George Henry, I love 1921 Gibsons. I think you get all the great tone without the higher price of the Loar-era mandolins. I have played quite a few and they are as consistent as an old Gibson can get.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: