Thread: My exxperience with TI Flat wounds and Blue Chip picks

Default My exxperience with TI Flat wounds and Blue Chip picks

Both these topics are well covered already, but I thought I would share my experience with them for anyone curious about either item. Like everyone, I was at first taken aback by prices. However, curiosity got the best of me and I purchased both (the strings because I am interested in classical primarily). I'm not a rich guy, but I spend many hours practicing and enjoying. The "cost per hour" of these strings and picks is very small to me in relation to the increase in playing pleasure. Both these items upped my enjoyment twice over at the least. I was shocked, but I am here to say that in my humble opinion either the TI's or the Blue Chips are well worth the money. Just my 2 cents and I hope it benefits others who have wondered about both of these "pricey" items.
    Last edited by Tim Logan; Apr-09-2018 at 3:12pm.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: My exxperience with TI Flat wounds and Blue Chip picks

To my ears flat wounds have never lasted that long, sound wise ! I didn't really care for them but it seems a lot of players do !

I agree. While TIs are still more expensive even when you factor in multiple string changes for phosphor-bronze strings, it is worth the extra cost to me. I have played a lot of hours on my current set, and intend to change them soon. They have been on for three months. One thing also to consider is the ease of installation. I hate changing strings, and with Thomastik, I almost enjoy doing it. Not sure if it is the silk wound ends, or the string itself, but it wraps around the posts and stays put while changing. D'Addario bronze never do that, they always want to jump over the post, twist around and at generally a pain in the arse. That alone is worth the additional cost imo.

To also get more for your money, order the TAD-1R bluechips when you are starting out. Then you get the best of both worlds, a radius end and beveled pointy ends.

Oh, and Thomastik's shouldn't be installed on every mandolin. I tried them on the Weber F a while back, and removed them shortly after. On my Collings MTO, they will be all that I ever put on.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

5. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

I only use TIs on my 1920s Washburn A. I may try a set on my modern National RM-1. I have disliked them on most of my other mandolins, but I do know some folks love them. I do play classical but don't like them on bowlbacks either. I suppose if I owned a German style bowlback I would string it with TIs since those are usually voiced for those strings. And the Phoenix classical mandolins are also voiced for them (and I have liked the ones I have played).

As for Blue Chip picks, I mostly play with those for most genres.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Things of quality are a joy.

Currently i have starks on my Brentrup, mittles on my fern.

I enjoy the ease of play, balanced tone, tuning stability, and, ability to withstand tuning changes (get up john, etc).
    My group uses condensors and cardioide mics, and theres no issue with the mandos coming through clearly, just as loud.

While i love the chime and brilliance of phosphor bronze, and the difference in tone is dramatic, TIs are superb.
    Especially for jazz and classical, but fine for BG.

Im certain i wont be changing them until after new years!!

However, over the years, my love for blue chip TAD60 1R and CT 55, is diminishing. Still great, but i use others as frequently.

8. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

I found that both the TIs and the blue chip are great -- on specific instruments. I tried TIs (I got a discount) on my strad because I wanted something a little less bright than phosphor bronze and they certainly were. they made the poor thing sound strangled. I've heard TIs on other instruments and they were brilliant -- on mine -- not what I prefer. Same with the blue chip. it's perfect on my Eastman and a great advantage when playing with sweaty hands but it didn't do so much for my snake. I'm glad I had the experience of both, though.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

TI are my favorite strings , for my experience they last 4X the J74 that I am using presently, they also don't make that raspy noise when sliding down the fretboard.
    I am using J74s now, my Heiden A is designed to sound best with J74s.

I do like my one and only Blue Chip pick.

I used TI Starks on my Lebeda mandolin for a year, and I really like the tone and feel. But then I started playing with others in pub sessions and gigs, and I needed more high frequency "cut" in the tone.

So I'm using GHS Silk and Bronze for the last few years. Not quite as bright as phosphor bronze. but a little more authority (for lack of a better word) when playing with louder acoustic instruments than I could get with the TI flatwounds.

If for some reason I ever go back to playing solo, I'd probably switch back to the TI strings.

Blog Entries

I think of strings as more of a commodity than picks. I don't have to change my picks regularly, and I never lose them. Cost is more of an issue with strings, as it adds up over time.

But my experience with the Thomastik strings is they last many many times longer than the regular strings, in my case the D'Addario J74 and J75s. So in the long run they really aren't more expensive, and maybe even a little cheaper.

But they do change the sound. So after a lot of playing around I only keep one mandolin in Thomastiks; the one I play classical on.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    So after a lot of playing around I only keep one mandolin in Thomastiks; the one I play classical on.
    Have you ever tried them on the RM-1?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Like the tone and feel of TI on my Breedlove. Haven't tried them on my other instruments. If I find a comparable set for the octave, may try them. That said, I still like the sound of PB on that instrument & the Gibson.

After a decade of playing exclusively with BC picks, have gone an entirely different direction. Been relying on Tortex and Ultex .73 on the octave and find they work well on the Gibson, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Have you ever tried them on the RM-1?
    No. I there are few that like it. I should try it. I have kept my RM-1 with the John Pearse 2100M silvered steel bronze wound. I really like the wrangle jangle they provide. Has the jolly character I like.

On my L&H style A I play classical mostly, and the Thomastiks really make that instrument speak seriously.

But enough folks have mentioned RM-1 and Thomasticks I should try it and see.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Anyone tried the flat wounds on any of the Northfield products? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    If I find a comparable set for the octave, may try them.
    I too would be interested in a set of TI's for my 21.5" scale Black GBOM, as the flatwounds would seem to suit the archtop body modeled after an old Epiphone.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5