Thread: Dave Harvey F9/F5

Default Dave Harvey F9/F5

I hear the Dave Harvey mandolins are pretty awesome. I assume a F9 is just a good tonally as a new F5G? Im thinking of buying one but maybe going with the lower priced F9 if you guys think the tone is there. Opinions? Are the new prices listed on the internet sites the actual going prices? What should a new F9 cost approx.

Default Re: Dave Harvey F9/F5

I have Dave Harvey F9, I absolutely love it and get a lot of good feedback on it. However I have never played an F5G so I couldn't say if one or the other was better. A new F9 is crazy high price these days, I have seen mandolin store and cafe classifieds list some used one's for decent price. I've seen new prices at $4800-5200, I don't think new one's are ever discounted.

A used Sam Bush F5 by David Harvey ($10K) in the Classifieds ($5.5K) would be better bang for your buck...

4. The following members say thank you to Dacraw54 for this post:

Two F 9s and one very used F5G are the only Gibsons I've ever played due to my don't play what you won't buy policy. The new F9 was slightly better than the 05 one I played at TMS. The F5G was about the same. The new F9s are a great sounding Gibson for sure.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks for the replies. Ive been kicking it around and I think Im gonna buy an F9. I like the F5's better but I dont want to put out that much money right now. Looks like from my research the Gibsons have went up in price considerably over the past few years.Even used ones. I think the F9 will be good tone wise. Maybe if I hang with it, later on I will sell the 9 and buy a F5. Hope it sounds killer! LOL

I owned one of the MandolinStore custom F9's for a year or so. Simply an outrageously good all around mandolin. It came with the MandolinStore wider nut 1 5/32", big frets, radius fretboard, satin burst finish, light, beautiful, and very responsive. Slightly under $4000 a year and half ago.

Impressed me highly, the F9 and TheMandolinStore.

d

Yeah I hope I get a good one. I hear everything right now from Gibson/Dave Harvey is really good. One thing I do like about the F9 is that it doesnt have the pick board extension. The mandolin I Have now is scooped. I think I might be a clicker on the extension on the F5G. So I dont have to worry about that part with the 9. The Flatiron I have is really good for the money, So I have been told by a couple of my mandolin playing buddies. It a pacrim Flatiron. Pretty nice little mandolin. But I love the deep woody chop the Gibsons have. I probably should just keep the Flatiron for a while, but I just cant help myself I guess. When I get the F9 if I like it and Im sure I will I will sell the Flatiron. It will make somebody a great starter. Its set up well to.

Registered User Robert Mitchell's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    i owned one of the mandolinstore custom f9's for a year or so. Simply an outrageously good all around mandolin. It came with the mandolinstore wider nut 1 5/32", big frets, radius fretboard, satin burst finish, light, beautiful, and very responsive. Slightly under $4000 a year and half ago.

Impressed me highly, the f9 and themandolinstore.

D
    Yeah,,i got this f9 from daryll.after 2months,,i sold my f5g,,, the f9 is that much
    easier to play with the radius board & large frets. As far as vol. & tone,,pretty much
    the same,,between the 2,,maybe a better chop with the F9..
    Last edited by Robert Mitchell; Apr-10-2018 at 7:33am.
    MITCH

GIBSON 2016 F9 CUSTOM
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2011 F5
    WEBER YELLOWSTONE 2005 F5