Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to replace the E string from the Aquila 1M Red Series

Question Where to replace the E string from the Aquila 1M Red Series

I am trying to install the plastic Aquila 1M Red Series on my steel string mandolin. I have searched the forum here for "Aquila" and found numerous threads with posts having the same problem I did: Breaking the E string at the knot.

What I didn't see is what people did to replace those broken E strings. Where do you go to find a replacement? I tried some .028 ukulele strings as recommended on a thread about using nylon strings on the mandolin, but they are way too thick.

I really like these 1M strings, but I would hate to have to just keep buying entire sets until I work out the breaking E string problem.

What about the knot that keeps breaking on the E string? I have tried the "perfection" angler's knot and it seems to work on the rest of the strings. I'm not exactly sure what knot I used on the E strings, it may not have been the perfection knot. Is there a fool proof way of tying a knot on the E string?

So, where do I buy a replacement for the Aquila 1M E string and what is the right way to tie a loop in that string?

Default Re: Where to replace the E string from the Aquila 1M Red Series

Obviously, if it broke at the tailpiece, just back it up and reknot it.

I have never tried the Aquila Reds on the mandolin, but have used them on both Ukulele and the 5 string. Most of the time, the break occurs due to a sharp edge on the tailpiece, and/or bringing the string up to pitch too quickly. Also, when installing the Reds, as you tighten the stings, gently pull up on the string as you slide your thumb and forefinger up and down the string. This stretches the string and eases it over the nut and bridge. A little graphite on the nut slots and bridge from a pencil will also help. They are great stings, but can be a pain to install. I believe you can buy them individually, so you don't have to buy a new set every time you break one.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Obviously, if it broke at the tailpiece, just back it up and reknot it.
    No, there is not enough string left to re-knot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
    I have never tried the Aquila Reds on the mandolin, but have used them on both Ukulele and the 5 string. ... I believe you can buy them individually, so you don't have to buy a new set every time you break one.
    Can you give me a link or something for a replacement matching the size of the E string in this set?

Anyone else? I need a replacement for the Aquila 1M E string and the right way to tie a loop in that string. This particular string has a habit of breaking at the knot and this has happened to a lot of people. Where did they go for a replacement, if anywhere?

I see a source for single nylon strings at La Bella strings, but I can't tell if they are the right size. Is a "017" nylon what I am looking for? Or is that more like the high E string of a classical guitar?

http://www.labella.com/strings/categ...y-instruments/

Why not contact Mimmo Perufo, the owner of Aquila. He's a very helpful guy. He can be contacted via their website.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisJB For This Useful Post:

I read your other thread about baroque mando ancestors...are you looking for nylon due to the finger pains of a violinist learning mandolin? Power through the pain and develop those callouses, it's worth it when you get to the other side. Setup and action height can greatly affect the comfort of a mandolin.
    Happy pickin
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

9. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Yes, I agree top contact Aquila. They have very good customer service, at least here in North America. They will tell you what strings to order for replacement. I am not sure why you are breaking those strings. I know from your other thread that you like the tone of these nylon strings but there might be a reason you break the e strings. You may consider using lighter gauge metal strings.

The 1M sets have this description on Strings & Beyond site:

Aquila RED SERIES®

A unique feeling and a strong, consistent sound. Until now, it was necessary to increase the gauge of a string for it to produce a lower-pitched note. But increasing the string’s diameter also increases internal dampening. That makes the string less bright, less responsive and more muffled; the thicker the string, the duller the sound. Our revolutionary new approach — unique to us — changes the specific weight of the material, increasing it progressively to leave the gauge almost unchanged.

The result is amazing: instruments sound brighter, more powerful and more responsive through the entire range of the fret board. The strings also maintain their intonation better, because thicker strings need to be fretted harder, pulling them further out of tune.

RED SERIES® sets provide superior performance over traditional strings for musicians who love bright sounds and powerful voicing across the full scale of the instrument.

You never heard a sound like this before, simply because before it did not exist.

This set is suitable for Baroque and Modern Mandolin only. Please do not install them on Country Mandolin.

LEGEND: 1A=RED 2E=BLUE 3C=GREEN 4G=WHITE

Code: 1M

Set: ee, aa DD, GG (e, a, D: all red series; G wound red)
    The weirdest is this mention:
    This set is suitable for Baroque and Modern Mandolin only. Please do not install them on Country Mandolin.
    What is the difference between a Modern Mandolin and a Country Mandolin?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The big problem with using nylon uke or classical guitar strings on a mandolin meant for steel is that the tailpiece is meant for loop end strings. You may need to figure out a way to put a loop that doesn't come out or a different tailpiece. Inhave a minstrel style banjo and here is how to deal with it on a simple tailpiece with holes for strings.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    I read your other thread about baroque mando ancestors...are you looking for nylon due to the finger pains of a violinist learning mandolin? Power through the pain and develop those callouses, it's worth it when you get to the other side. Setup and action height can greatly affect the comfort of a mandolin.
    Happy pickin
    I agree that working with steel strings isn't a bad idea. I can feel my hands getting stronger and more articulate with steel especially since the mandolin strings are longer than violin strings even while tuned to the same pitch. The mandolin finger board is a broader stretch than the violin.

With nylon strings, I'm interested in both the different sound and ease of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJB View Post
    Why not contact Mimmo Perufo, the owner of Aquila. He's a very helpful guy. He can be contacted via their website.
    I am currently corresponding with a Enrico Embalzano by way of aquila <at> aquilacorde <dot> com.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

The 1M sets have this description on Strings & Beyond site:

The weirdest is this mention:

What is the difference between a Modern Mandolin and a Country Mandolin?
    Yes, I can't figure that out either. Could be a language problem.

Check out the lute string info on this page on the Aquila USA site.

Upon request we supply complete string sets for Baroque Guitars, Mandoline, Hurdy-Gurdy and Medieval instruments (Harp, Fiddle. Rebec etc.).
    I would contact them and tell the problems you have been having and see what thye suggest. I had them make me some custom string sets for an 1890s Lombard six string mandolino I have.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Check out the lute string info on this page on the Aquila USA site.

I would contact them and tell the problems you have been having and see what thye suggest. I had them make me some custom string sets for an 1890s Lombard six string mandolino I have.
    That link is encouraging. I have yet to see any listing of individual strings available to replace my broken E strings. Do you have a source for replacing strings in your set?

Any comments on the strings at the link above to La Bella strings? Here it is again:

http://www.labella.com/strings/categ...y-instruments/

Are those numbers, 016, 017, 018, ... , string measurements?

Is your 1890s Lombard six string mandolino a version of the baroque mandolin being played in this video?

18. The following members say thank you to FiddlePicker for this post:

MrMoe 

hello,
    Mimmo here of aquila
    I have some chances to improve again the sound and the tensile strenght of these strings.

Before to do the job I have a few questions:

1) is the tension of the 1M set 'right' or does you prefere an higher tension? To be more accurate: in order to understand better, please let me know how many semitones higher it is necessary to go till to reach the 'right tension (doing the tst with the 2nd string not the 1st...)

2)is the 1 M set 'brigh't or you prefere a more brilliant sound?

3) breackages at the tailpiece: the experimental set had no breackage. However in the future I will share the way we do the knot even for metal strung tailpieces. Just to tell more: the new kind of strings are installed on traditional bluegrass 5 strings banjos and no problems at all (before a lot of breackages)

Thanks guys
    Mimmo - Italy

20. The following members say thank you to mimmo for this post:

MrMoe 

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mimmo View Post
    hello,
    Mimmo here of aquila
    I have some chances to improve again the sound and the tensile strenght of these strings.

Before to do the job I have a few questions:

1) is the tension of the 1M set 'right' or does you prefere an higher tension? To be more accurate: in order to understand better, please let me know how many semitones higher it is necessary to go till to reach the 'right tension (doing the tst with the 2nd string not the 1st...)

2)is the 1 M set 'brigh't or you prefere a more brilliant sound?

3) breackages at the tailpiece: the experimental set had no breackage. However in the future I will share the way we do the knot even for metal strung tailpieces. Just to tell more: the new kind of strings are installed on traditional bluegrass 5 strings banjos and no problems at all (before a lot of breackages)

Thanks guys
    Mimmo - Italy
    Any links for the knotting?

I want to install them on a Mandolinetto from 1902. Will there be any problem with that?
    Kentucky KM-805..........2 Hora M1086 Portuguese II(1 in car)
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....
    Richmond RMA-110..... .Noname Bearclaw
    Pochette Franz Janisch...5 Pocket............Alfredo Privitera pocket
    Puglisi Pocket 1908........Puglisi 1912.......Puglisi 1917
    3 Mandolinetto ..............C.Garozzo
    1 Mandriola...................Cannelo G. Mandriola...Böhm Waldzither 1921
    Johs Møller 1945............Luigi Embergher Studio 1933
    Marma Seashell back......Luigi Embergher 5bis 1909

The Reds are not nylon. The sharp edges of a steel tailpiece cut them. The instructions are very clear. "All sharp edges must be rounded". As mentioned above, the bold header on the Reds page from the Aquila website states; "This set has been designed for Historical or Baroque Mandolin, and is not recommended on 19th century mandolins typically designed for metal strings setups. Please do not install on Country Mandolin.
    It is very sweet that mimmo is contributing, looking foward to "in the furture"
    Last edited by MrMoe; Jun-08-2021 at 7:38am.

Exclamation Re: Where to replace the E string from the Aquila 1M Red Series

Last place resembling a music store closed, They had red series concert uke strings .. AQ-85
    look like the same stuff as the 3 plain strings in the 1M set,

I have 4 strings from 1M set on my spruce head banjo uke , only push the tension to e b f#c#.. 3 half steps lower.

I'm tying a knot around the pegs of a no-knot banjo tailpiece..

NB: you match size by measuring , both ..

Last edited by mandroid; Jun-09-2021 at 12:51pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Last place resembling a music store closed, They had red series concert uke strings .. AQ-85
    look like the same stuff as the 3 plain strings in the 1M set,

I have 4 strings from 1M set on my spruce head banjo uke , only push the tension to e b f#c#.. 3 half steps lower.

I'm tying a knot around the pegs of a no-knot banjo tailpiece..

NB: you match size by measuring , both ..

So, do you have some E strings surplus? I'm interested.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

I broke an E string :-(
    But it looks like I've succeeded in extending it with a piece of 1 mm Dyneema string. It's been tuned to E5 now for 12 hours and still holding on. My first attempt slipped through the knot though. So this is a double fishermans knot with the end secured.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

Question Re: Where to replace the E string from the Aquila 1M Red Series

E is a musical Pitch not a Diameter.. Aquila use colored dots not printed packet for each string with diameter numbers on it

It Is 4 plain brown, red series strings for a Concert Uke not a 1M set..
    priced at retail $9.95 for the 4..

( my good caliper lacks a battery to measure accurately with down to to fractions of a mm.. )

(+ I'm in Oregon , west coast of USA , So Italy is closer to Denmark. )

Last edited by mandroid; Jun-10-2021 at 12:54pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Reds= .020, .025, .035, .029 wound. Nylgut=.014, .022, .032, .026 wound. I have tried Cajun Line Red cast fishing line. The 8 lb test is .011. The 17 lb test is .017. I am experimenting with nylon strings for minstrel tuning. I have has some success with fishing line. The sound is not as strong as Reds or Nylgut.

Quote Originally Posted by poul hansen View Post
    But it looks like I've succeeded in extending it with a piece of 1 mm Dyneema string. It's been tuned to E5 now for 12 hours and still holding on. My first attempt slipped through the knot though. So this is a double fishermans knot with the end secured.
    It looks like it's a permanent solution. It's still there after a week and the tuning has been stable for several days.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....

brilliant work around! I'm going to try it next time I break a banjo-uke string! Thanks!

It looks like it's a permanent solution. It's still there after a week and the tuning has been stable for several days.
    poul hansen , It the knot on the low strings a bowline?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoe View Post
    poul hansen , It the knot on the low strings a bowline?
    Yes all knots on all strings are.
    Hora M1088 Mandola.....