Thread: Minimum headstock angle

Default Minimum headstock angle

I've a couple of lengths of cherry that I want to glue together lengthwise for a neck blank for a bolt on electric mandolin build. The depth of this blank will likely only be 45mm once tidied up, which I reckon would give me a 9 or 10 degree headstock angle at most. Is that enough? I measure the Siminoff f5 plans at 13 deg.
    I'm a novice home builder, capable - but limited experience.

Default Re: Minimum headstock angle

the 10 degree break would probably work if you watch the peghead thickness.. if the tuner posts are too high above the peghead, the strings might jump out of the nut slots.. if the peghead is thicker, the tuner post string holes will be closer to peghead top surface and make more srting pressure at the nut....
    kterry

You can make a Strat neck out of 25mm thick stock... so you don't technically need much headstock angle at all if you're willing to use string trees. Since this is electric you can get away with that, I'd think. I'd say go for it, you'll most likely be fine, and use string trees or something if it becomes a problem.
    Also remember that the thickness of your fretboard gives you quite a bit of leeway. Using a 1/4" thick fretboard looks nice and also gives you more room to play. You get almost 13 degrees of string break over the nut if you use a 6.5mm board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-04-07 09_43_00-SolidWorks Premium 2011 x64 Edition - [Sketch1 of Part1 _].png 
Views:	192 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	166579

I use 8 degrees on my acoustic mandolins, and it's fine. The two advantages of a low head angle are: 1) it makes a stronger head because you have less run-out of the grain 2) you can get away with a smaller piece of wood.

Thanks all, and Marty, really useful your sketch and comments on f'board thickness. Looks like I can do it.
    I have thought about strat style, but the look I'm after is towards the acoustic and i like an angled headstock.
    I hadn't appreciated the effect that the finished thickness would have, kind of gain some, lose some. Thinner gives more angle but raises the post. Think I'll have to sketch that to get my head around what the trade off is between one or the other.