Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

Default Re: Lets Talk Eastman Line.

Ok let me place you in my predicament.After playing the 305 I like it a lot.At the store in Gladesville its going for $695 AUS.Also at Zenith music in Western Australia the Kentucky KM 150 purchase price is $AUS 730.This one I don't have a chance of playing since the store in my vicinity do not stock the Kentucky.Can contributors here who have the experience in playing both instruments, make the comparison and recommend which would be the `Best Buy`.Which would you recommend of the two? Why?.At the moment am currently in the process of recording my 3rd CD and would like opinions for the instrument with better projection, volume and all round good balance in treble and bass.Will possibly upgrade to a higher model later but for the time a quality instrument is essential for my upcoming projects.Please assist and am looking forward in reading your valuable comments.
    Last edited by KoalaBear; Apr-06-2018 at 8:09pm.

I'm in the camp of buy the one you like. My only Eastman right now is my octave. So it's definitely apples to oranges. Like the sound, and personally prefer the matte finish. But, in one month, already have a glossy neck from playing and a large glossy spot on the top from where my pinky often moves around.

The tuners are very inexpensive, but they work. Similar to the tuners on a Big Muddy mandolin. I've not had a problem with mine. Although there is probably more variation in them than in higher cost tuners.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    I'm in the camp of buy the one you like. My only Eastman right now is my octave. So it's definitely apples to oranges. Like the sound, and personally prefer the matte finish. But, in one month, already have a glossy neck from playing and a large glossy spot on the top from where my pinky often moves around.

The tuners are very inexpensive, but they work. Similar to the tuners on a Big Muddy mandolin. I've not had a problem with mine. Although there is probably more variation in them than in higher cost tuners.
    So you would recommend the Eastman MD 305 over the Kentucky Km 150? There are no stores in my location to audition a Kentucky KM 150. Or are the two on a par with sound and design???

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    Ok let me place you in my predicament.After playing the 305 I like it a lot.At the store in Gladesville its going for $695 AUS.Also at Zenith music in Western Australia the Kentucky KM 150 purchase price is $AUS 730.This one I don't have a chance of playing since the store in my vicinity do not stock the Kentucky.Can contributors here who have the experience in playing both instruments, make the comparison and recommend which would be the `Best Buy`.Which would you recommend of the two? Why?.At the moment am currently in the process of recording my second CD and would like opinions for the instrument with better projection, volume and all round good balance in treble and bass.Will possibly upgrade to a higher model later but for the time a quality instrument is essential for my upcoming projects.Please assist and am looking forward in reading your valuable comments.
    Buy the 305 and start recording if the 305 has good intonation it will record great no worries. I've played them and just like everybody says there a fine instrument and if you like it then get it. As it's all personal opinion on these instruments no right or wrong. Buying the Kentucky 150 sight unseen is a risk you may or may not like it. A bird in the hand................
    Lou

Ok let me place you in my predicament.After playing the 305 I like it a lot.At the store in Gladesville its going for $695 AUS.Also at Zenith music in Western Australia the Kentucky KM 150 purchase price is $AUS 730.This one I don't have a chance of playing since the store in my vicinity do not stock the Kentucky.Can contributors here who have the experience in playing both instruments, make the comparison and recommend which would be the `Best Buy`.Which would you recommend of the two? Why?.At the moment am currently in the process of recording my 3rd CD and would like opinions for the instrument with better projection, volume and all round good balance in treble and bass.Will possibly upgrade to a higher model later but for the time a quality instrument is essential for my upcoming projects.Please assist and am looking forward in reading your valuable comments.
    see my post above

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Several years back on the hunt I had the opportunity to play most of the Eastman line . I felt that hands down the 305 and 315 had the warmest , most open sound and the best projection . They were all very playable , I felt , a nice radius fretboard and , for me , a nice neck profile in general . But without question I 'd choose the 305 or 315 again for the reasons stated above. I sold the 305 to buy a Kentucky as I liked that tone and volume even more . I've since played many Eastmans and my opinion hasn't changed . Although easy to play I find they don't seem to have that full warm tone I prefer .For whatever this is worth .......good luck
    Your taste and choice is determined by playing both instruments.You say u like the tone and volume of the Kentucky .I would say that examining the components of each would be the way to go, in choosing the better instrument, rather than just determining the choice on sound and volume alone.Let me see if we can look as the specs for each in later post, to view the pros and cons(look at choice of woods, fretboard, bridge material,scale length etc.etc in design ) of each instrument.Perhaps you are right, but having no opportunity to play the Kentucky, remain undecided at the moment.Dennis Vance at Mandolin store praises the Kentucky highly but his opinion is that the Eastman 305 is better built.But then choice of an instrument is always subjective.You buy what you like.Who knows a place in New South Wales where in can play a Kentucky KM150?The issue remains unresolved.It`s a two horse race.Photo-finish equal firsts?Tanx guys.

Tan In Gondiland

I started off with a Kentucky KM150. I just purchased a Eastman MD505 and I'm blown away. The neck profile feels much better to me.
    To my ears the Eastman sounds fantastic. Both mandolins came from The Mandolin Store. I'm so grateful I found out about them on this site. Great to deal with and the set up is amazing. Down in San Diego we don't have many mandolins to test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by roysboy View Post
    Several years back on the hunt I had the opportunity to play most of the Eastman line . I felt that hands down the 305 and 315 had the warmest , most open sound and the best projection . They were all very playable , I felt , a nice radius fretboard and , for me , a nice neck profile in general . But without question I 'd choose the 305 or 315 again for the reasons stated above. I sold the 305 to buy a Kentucky as I liked that tone and volume even more . I've since played many Eastmans and my opinion hasn't changed . Although easy to play I find they don't seem to have that full warm tone I prefer .For whatever this is worth .......good luck
    Notice your valuable contribution to this thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...150-Surprising

further Royboy

What mandolin is shorty using in his recordings on SoundCloud?:

https://soundcloud.com/shortymack

Anyone know the model mandolin in the recording `RED PRAIRIE DAWN`

https://soundcloud.com/shortymack/re...edium=facebook

Tanx guys!
    Last edited by KoalaBear; Apr-07-2018 at 3:58am.

So you would recommend the Eastman MD 305 over the Kentucky Km 150? There are no stores in my location to audition a Kentucky KM 150. Or are the two on a par with sound and design???
    I've not played a Kentucky KM-150. So can't comment. However, I have played other Kentucky mandolins. They are good. It really is subjective at this point. If you like the sound of the Eastman, buy it. Don't have regrets. There is always something "better" or a better deal just around the corner. Buy what you want and be satisfied.

Have played both Eastman and Kentucky mandolins where I have gone "nope." And have played ones that are like I really want it, but can't justify it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by mushin View Post
    Down in San Diego we don't have many mandolins to test drive.
    Not since Bob Paige's Buffalo Brothers closed

I have an early 315 that I have hot rodded with larger frets, better tuners and an Allen tailpiece. It is a hoss, and would not sell for three times what I have in it. It is not mint but a great sounding and playing instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    I have an early 315 that I have hot rodded with larger frets, better tuners and an Allen tailpiece. It is a hoss, and would not sell for three times what I have in it. It is not mint but a great sounding and playing instrument.
    It similar to the 305?

The 305 will be identical to the 315 but without the scrolly and pointy parts.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

A couple of thoughts. My two mandolins are a 2010 Collings MT wide nut, purchased new, and a 2017-18 Eastman MD315, purchased new.(These now come with a cast tailpiece!) Actually, the sound of these two is remarkably similar. The differences are a sweeter tone in the higher registers of the Eastman, and a crisper, louder projection across the spectrum from the Collings. But that is really splitting hairs, and the Collings has a few years on the Eastman. I had played a couple Eastmans years ago, and I believe they have recently upped their game in tone, fit and finish! For me personally, I can't decide which mandolin is my favorite, they are that close. I was able to compare at least 8 Eastmans when I picked out my MD315. Some of those were higher end models, but this one in particular outshine the lot in my opinion. SO I would say to pick one out of the lot and be happy!

Svea

I bought a 505 and a 515 following Dennis's advice and he has been right on each time. They are incredible instruments and they sound spectacular. I trust his judgement. I am more than pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by tankertoad View Post
    I bought a 505 and a 515 following Dennis's advice and he has been right on each time. They are incredible instruments and they sound spectacular. I trust his judgement. I am more than pleased.
    Thanks everyone for all your input.Am going to purchase the Kentucky mainly due to the neck size which would make it easier to play with the 1.1/8`` nut width .Further seeing Adam play this instrument at Mandolin store it seems to have an even balance throughout the treble, middle and lower voicing.The D 305 has nut width size of of 1.3/32 ``smaller then the KM 150.These differences are tipping the scales for me, while both have solid spruce tops, and maple back and sides.The difference in sound when you audition these two would possibly stem from these combination woods and their add-ons. The KM 150 has a rosewood fingerboard and rosewood bridge, while the 305 has and ebony fingerboard and ebony bridge.Both share the maple neck.All in all, both punch out a phenomenal sound, and in the last call depends on what you prefer, as well as, taking into account the size of your hands in preference for a shallow or deep neck profile,string and course spacing as a guide to comfort playability with the neck.Am also really impressed with the whole Eastman line and in August 2018 will purchase the Eastman 515 as my recording mandolin.

Enjoy the music.

Tanx everyone

www.reverbnation.com/gaetanobevilacqua

` Songs of the Gondwana Coast`CD.

Tan

17. The following members say thank you to KoalaBear for this post:

I have an 2006 815 Eastman F5. For the first couple of years I was never happy with how it sounded. Thin, bright and little sustain.
    But after a few tweaks it is a completely new instrument. I put EVO larger frets on it, CA ebony bridge. That really helped with the sustain and volume. But then last year I made new bone nut myself and some minor things from the Mandovoodoo method. Just sanding the edges of the F holes just a little bit to get rid of any unevenness and sharp corners. That warmed it a bit. Then using Silk&Bronze strings seems to do it good. So now I have it set up exactly the way I like, low action, great sustain, decent volume and much much warmer tone. It didn't even have a chop in the begining. So whatever Eastman you get, as always good setup makes all the difference.

I don't know. My Eastman came set up perfectly and sounds like a million bucks. As I mentioned earlier, they really upped their game recently in all respects. And not to discourage the original OP from getting the Kentucky but, as I own the two mandolins with 1 3/32 and 1 3/16 nuts, I can say they are both easy to play! So I think sometimes all this minor nut width measurement is splitting hairs a bit. You can't know what you prefer until you actually compare two or several mandolins in person.

Svea

Quote Originally Posted by Svea View Post
    I don't know. My Eastman came set up perfectly and sounds like a million bucks. As I mentioned earlier, they really upped their game recently in all respects. And not to discourage the original OP from getting the Kentucky but, as I own the two mandolins with 1 3/32 and 1 3/16 nuts, I can say they are both easy to play! So I think sometimes all this minor nut width measurement is splitting hairs a bit. You can't know what you prefer until you actually compare two or several mandolins in person.

Svea
    Have a Barnes and Mullins 100 Mandolin made in Italy/London with a gorgeous sound with Spruce top and Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and the neck is thick, a thinner neck like the KM would make it easier to play.It’s another consideration besides nut width when choosing rival instruments besides all other aspects of design and sound production.

I would encourage anyone to take a road trip to a good dealer and get an education that in the end will serve you well. Now if you don't want to know, and I can understand that point of view, what a really good mandolin sounds like, just buy what you can and be happy with it. If you really can not tell the difference between a $500 mandolin and a $5000 mandolin, then I guess I'm happy for you.

But be honest with yourself. I myself am somewhere in the middle. I do not play mandolins which I either wouldn't or couldn't afford. I could buy a $7000 mandolin, but wouldn't, I could not buy a $20,000 mandolin. Well I could if I thought I'd die in the next ten years.

I had an Eastman MD 505. It was a very decent mandolin built at a price many can afford. I was very happy with it until I started playing the relatively modest, and I am talking relative here, Collings MT, Weber Galatin, Northfield F5S, satin Pavas and the like.

I am truly sorry for those whose hearing is so poorly developed that they can't.(or perhaps happy for them). I have played maybe thirty Eastmans. None have been bad. None have had a satisfying G string. None have sounded anywhere as good as a Collings MT, and I'm not that thrilled with the Collings tone. I have played some nice Gibsons, and for what I would ever consider paying for a mandolin, nothing has come close to that classic Gibson tone. That is just how it is.

I play my Michael Kelly about as much as my Silverangel, mainly because I'm so lazy and that mandolin is in reach. I practice with it all the time, have an emotional attachment to it because I made it play good, but it is not anywhere close to the quality of sound my Silverangel puts out. But it is on par with the Eastmans and Kentuckys I've played.

I'm right now on a mission to educate guitar players I know who have piezo pickups about the importance of good electronics down stream. Some actually think their $4000 guitars with K&K pickups sound fine right into a mixing board, or a $100 digital pre. Yes,you make sound, it may sound ok to you, but I've had people tell me they sounded just as good as when they tried a Grace Felix.

Really? Self delusion runs rampant. It's taken me six decades to get to the point I don't bs myself, unless a pretty girl walks into the room. I still have a ways to go with that one.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

My philosophy: Find what works and stick with it. If that’s an Eastman, great. After that is solved, make it about music and not the gear.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

I have 3 Eastman's, a 305, a 400 oval hole in mahogany & a MD505CC/N. they all talk to me & they all have a very different sound from each other. but the one that has that sweet sound to my ears is the 505.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I had an Eastman MD 505. It was a very decent mandolin built at a price many can afford. I was very happy with it until I started playing the relatively modest, and I am talking relative here, Collings MT, Weber Galatin, Northfield F5S, satin Pavas and the like.

I am truly sorry for those whose hearing is so poorly developed that they can't.(or perhaps happy for them). I have played maybe thirty Eastmans. None have been bad. None have had a satisfying G string. None have sounded anywhere as good as a Collings MT, and I'm not that thrilled with the Collings tone. I have played some nice Gibsons, and for what I would ever consider paying for a mandolin, nothing has come close to that classic Gibson tone. That is just how it is.
    Excuse me? "Poorly developed hearing"..... sounds like maybe you should listen to yourself talk more. I'm not sure who you are directing those comments to, but I can assure you that I personally have excellent musical hearing. I have played stringed instruments all of my long life. I'm also a decent mandolin player, and an accomplished guitarist, singer and performer. And Im a female who understands amplification! Fancy that. I've played (and owned some) examples of very high end guitars and mandolins. So here is the thing. The G strings are about the same on my Collings MT and my Eastman MD315. Take my word for it, or not. But your comments can go a bit farther if you considered your approach.

Svea

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Svea For This Useful Post:

I never intend to be specific in my comments. If you have found that one in a thousand Eastman I'm happy for you. My comments were intended toward those many individuals, and I run into them all the time, who delude themselves that their instrument is just as good as that they cannot afford. That is just being dishonest with yourself.

Would I be driving a Porsche if I could afford one? Maybe or maybe not, but my Honda is certainly not as good a vehicle as far as performance goes, and I'd not kid myself.

I had a guy insist I play his guitar because it was so good, better than a much more expensive guitar he sold. He asked me how much I thought he'd payed for it. I said about a hundred bucks. I was spot on. That is what it sounded like. He had done a great setup on it though, and that is what I complemented him on.

If you know sound, then you know what quality AD/DA converters sound like. You know what a good microphone pre amp sounds like, or what a really good channel strip in a high end mixer sounds like. It does not come cheap. Most gear, thank God it is out there, is built to a good enough standard, but one shouldn't delude oneself it is just as good as what really is. I've had people tell me an Art Tube pre sounded to them as good as an Apogee channel strip. Well, even to my age abused crappy hearing, that is just nonsense. Is an Art Tube pre worth having? Sure, if it is better than what came before.

That is all I'm saying. Be honest with yourself when it comes to such things and their relationship to the money you can or want to part with, because I want a Heiden,more a Dude,nor a Gilchrist,but it is not going to happen, so I've learned to go with the pretty good that I've got.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well, I recently acquired a very nice Eastman MD504 that I am very impressed with. I would agree that Eastmans can vary a lot in sound. I played another 504 in a different shop that wasn’t half as good. There was just something about mine. I compared it to a Lebeda and a vintage Gibson. In my mandolin orchestra there are also some very nice instruments to compare it to- Phil Davidson, Vanden, Weber. I’m not by any means saying it is better, but for a brand new instrument, it holds its own, is lovely to play, intonation is spot on all up the neck, and is extremely well made.

And no, there is nothing wrong with my hearing thank you!

Robbie

29. The following members say thank you to ukrobbiej for this post: