Thread: Starting a Bowlback

Default Starting a Bowlback

I've built a few simple instruments but I'm finally stretching myself and attempting a bowlback mandolin. I have a lot of wood working experience but this looks like a challenge.

I used to take photographs of my projects but for the last few months I've been learning how to do video and so I've just finished the first video of some prep work that I've been doing. I fully expect this to take a while, but I'll keep this thread updated as I progress, and I gladly invite any advice along the way.

TIA

Paul M

http://openwoodshop.com/instruments/mandolinprep1.php

Default Re: Starting a Bowlback

This was for sale a few, well, maybe more than a few years back on eBay. Just another take on that form you're building.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BowlForm2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	166505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BowlForm1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	166506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BowlForm5.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	166507  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BowlForm4.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	166508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BowlForm3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	166509  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Paul: Interesting. Will you need to let those spruce pieces for the top air dry for any period of time?

Here is your first video embedded for convenience:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks. This spruce is pretty old so it quite dry. Another instrument maker got it from another musical instrument maker and I am promised more if I want. I don't know how long it's been around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    This was for sale a few, well, maybe more than a few years back on eBay. Just another take on that form you're building.
    In fact, my plans came from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I made a form similar to that, but then decided to switch over to a type I found in the "Historical Lute Construction" book. I still have that form and may come back to it in the future. Or not.

Paul M

A luthier in Connecticut showed me a bowlback form he acquired from the Martin factory. You could see the multiple pinholes in it to secure the ribs for gluing. That one was a solid bowl shape. I can't imagine that you could make one of the higher end bowlbacks with 40+ ribs using the other style pictured above.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Here are a couple of solid moulds as used by Lorenzo Lippi in Milan. This first one is for an Embergher Style 5. The neck is attached at one end and the tailblock at the other.

Name:	solidmould2.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	166511

The second is a mould for a Maldura style mandolin with some of the ribs attached. This one looks as though it could be made from 1" MDF

Name:	solidmould3.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	166512

This last one is an oddity that was in Fred Oster's shop in Philadelphia a few years back and came from possibly the Holzapfel factory in Baltimore. I suspect the individual wedge shaped segments could be used to both shape the ribs and form part of the mould,

Name:	solidmould1.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	166513

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Interesting pics sir. I got your book in the mail yesterday and am just settling down to a good read.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Montgomery View Post
    Interesting pics sir. I got your book in the mail yesterday and am just settling down to a good read.
    I hope you find the book useful. Feel free to get in contact if I can be of assistance.

Next up is a book on building ukuleles!

Cheers

12. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

So here is part 2 of the Bowlback Mandolin project. It only gets more interesting from here! Because this is the first one I'm still just working things out. I'm sure as time goes on I'll get more 'sophisticated' in my approach.

The videos are a LOT more work than plain images like I used to do, but as long as people keep liking them - I'll keep making them.

http://openwoodshop.com/instruments/mandolin2.php

Name:	mando_stave1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	166795

Paul M

14. The following members say thank you to Paul Montgomery for this post:

Nevin