Thread: Eastman MD515-V - is it suppose to be distressed?

Default Eastman MD515-V - is it suppose to be distressed?

I just ordered an Eastman MD515-V (varnish). It sounds great.
    I suppose I could not see the distressed parts on the internet photos.

Is it suppose to be distressed (i.e. marks in the finish - though all covered with varnish?

THANKS in advance!

AB

Default Re: Eastman MD515-V - is it suppose to be distressed?

AFAIK that model is not distressed. If a mandolin is intentionally distressed, the simulated wear is concentrated in the pickguard area, the scroll, and on the bass bout where the arm rests. If that is where most of the distressing is located, it is probably intentional. If you see a lot in other places, probably not.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by ABmando View Post
    I just ordered an Eastman MD515-V (varnish). It sounds great.
    I suppose I could not see the distressed parts on the internet photos.

Is it suppose to be distressed (i.e. marks in the finish - though all covered with varnish?

THANKS in advance!

AB
    It really is very confusing but as far as I am aware the letter V after the model number denotes 'vintage' which in Eastman speak means artificially aged.

I have an Eastman T49-V Archtop guitar which comes with an aged finish. They have actually done a remarkably good job of ageing the guitar, not the belt sander job you can get on some relic Fender guitars. The ageing work appears to be beneath the lacquer, particularly on the neck, but it is beautifully done and the guitar really does look old. They have also done the whole guitar other than the fingerboard and frets so it feels right.

Here’s a link to their webpage that shows their v finish. A guitar though, not a mandolin.

In the first picture, where your arm would rest on the guitar, it looks like what you are describing on your mandolin.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/antiq...e_varnish_hero

So I talked to the dealer. He said that these varnish distressed 515s were introduced at NAMM 2018. So I have one of them. It woulds great. I do not mind some of the discoloring where the right arm goes over the mando - but I do not understand why they would put "pot" marks like an old road in various locations in the front and back.

But I am keeping it because it sounds great!!!

AS far as Eastman mandolins go, the "V" designation after the model number is for varnish finish. I own an MD815V, and the finish could be described as "vintage", not as consistent as its 815 counterparts.

My guess is that the varnish finish is applied in such a way as to produce the "aged" effect. Keep in mind that Eastman made its name initially with violins, which typically are aged in order to replicate older instruments.

Mine is not just aged looking, it also has little dents in the top and bottom! I do not understand why they had to go that far. (The dents are like little pit marks)

Blog Entries

Yes, these models were both varnished and distressed. If you know it is done intentionally, and look at it that way, it is a really nice quality for the instrument to have. It isn't beat up but has that 1920's vibe and that is a great thing! It was created new in this form, so you should be congratulated on your new Eastman! I hope you will enjoy it.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"